scientific anglers amplitude smooth trout vs scientific anglers mastery vpt

jdwy

Reaction score
Reading up on both the lines it looks like either one would be perfect for medium distance and soft dry fly presentation.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Define "medium"...
Yes, this is my question also. The VPT is great for dries, but doesn't cast well in close - it needs some line out to load. I didn't look at the taper design for the Amplitude Smooth Trout, but I presume it's SA's standard WF Trout taper just in the Amplitude line. So as mentioned that should work fine too, though the VPT is (really was) more of a dry fly line. The VPT is no longer made but I presume by your question you tracked one down.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
The VPT is still in production and still a staple in SA's Mastery series:

Mastery VPT Fly Line | Scientific Anglers

It's a great line for the right rod, but the rod must be delicate. My question would not only be what is "medium" but even more importantly...for which rod? Line in and of itself is just line - with various tapers and weights - no one line matches all rods. I have opined at great length - Let the rod pick it's line for it's specialty purpose at hand. So to answer that question, I need to ask some questions:

For which rod, and, for fishing where in what habitat, with which technique and flies?

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I stand corrected. I got some on discount and so had assumed they were being discontinued, but obviously not the case. And yes it is a finicky line that doesn't work with all rods.
I thought VPT would be discontinued, and I thought GPX/MPX would be too with Infinity being released...but both stayed right there is the inventory.....I doubt they currently sell much of either. If you have a really light, moderate action rod, like a 2-3 wt IM6/WT, Scott G,G2, GS 773, Orvis Superfine 3wt, etc. The VPT will load in close and deliver dries very delicately....if the rod has backbone or is heavier 4wt or 5wt rod....VPT becomes a longer distance dry line....IE: VPT works great for rods that load with less than a standard head weight out of the guides....otherwise it's a delicate long front taper true to weight line better with some line out. SA Trout taper is much longer rear taper and more progressive throughout the head length...similar to Expert Distance Taper, it enhances turn-over with a heavier back end.

osseous

Reaction score
I throw the VPT with my glass rods. Mountain creeks. I also use it on a Winston 4wt on medium sized rivers for dry fly fishing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

czorny01

Reaction score
The VPT is still in production and still a staple in SA's Mastery series:

Mastery VPT Fly Line | Scientific Anglers

It's a great line for the right rod, but the rod must be delicate. My question would not only be what is "medium" but even more importantly...for which rod? Line in and of itself is just line - with various tapers and weights - no one line matches all rods. I have opined at great length - Let the rod pick it's line for it's specialty purpose at hand. So to answer that question, I need to ask some questions:

For which rod, and, for fishing where in what habitat, with which technique and flies?
Hello
Rod Orvis Recon 8,6'' wt4
The throw distance I need is 40-60 feet
Fishery - rivers with slow and medium stream

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Hello
Rod Orvis Recon 8,6'' wt4
The throw distance I need is 40-60 feet
Fishery - rivers with slow and medium stream
Without question, between the two lines, at that distance the Trout taper would be superior to the VPT on that rod.