Scissors

trev

Reaction score
I like Anvil because most others have child size finger holes.
But the Fiskars MicroTip from Walmart are plenty sharp if your fingers fit. The Slicks look good but I haven't used them. Iris scissors from surgical suppliers work well too, that was my first good pair, even ladies cosmetic scissors or fine tip embroidery scissors worked before brand name tying suppliers came along and still would.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I've used many scissors over the years, most being stainless steel of some type, and they all work fine for awhile, but stainless isn't a particularly hard metal, so they dull. For tying they can last longer as long as you don't cut anything that will dull them quicker, such as wire. I've been able to sharpen most I've had, so that extended the useful life. Some wore out in the joint, and not much you can do but replace them when that happens.

The last scissors I've bought have been Dr Slick Tungsten Carbide, and so far they've been the best I've used. I have 3 pairs in 3 lengths, and all of them have been great. The 3 1/2" have the finer tips, but all 3 ( 4" & 4 1/2") have fine tips, so any of them could be a good choice for general tying purposes.

osseous

Reaction score
Just ordered some Kopters. Hopeful

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

coug

Reaction score
Just ordered some Kopters. Hopeful

Let us know how you like the Kopters. I keep my scissors in my hand while I work. I like anvils because they are small and as Trev said, have very comfortable handles. They just disappear into my palm when not in use. I also like the short Dr. Slick razor scissors. I have others for specific tasks, but those are the ones that are in my hand most of the time.

trev

Reaction score
Yes, I'd like to know how those Kopters work out too, the fingers on them look large enough for wearing on the ring finger.

irideaduck

Reaction score
Kelly Galloup in a video a few years ago raved about Fiskars scissors ... the ones your mom uses! I have been using them for the past two years without any complaints.

dennyk

Reaction score
Dr Slick with strait blades as we as another pair with curved blades. The curves blades will trim some heavy synthetics better then the straight blades will.

Denny

osseous

Reaction score
There's a little elphin magic in the Kopter Absolutes... these will be going back

adealarcon

Reaction score
I really like the tiemco razor scissors. They have three different versions and are $$$$. However they are super sharp and wicked fine tips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JoJer

Reaction score
I did file and sharpen a "vee" shaped cutter into the end of the handle of my small whip finisher so I could just turn it around, push it against the thread at the hook eye ,and, boom, done. It works ok but I seldom remember to use it.
If I tried to keep the scissors in my hand as I tied, I'd injure myself for sure. Or forget where I left them. Or some combination of the two.

thomasw

Reaction score
I've used numerous scissors over the years, and the anvil and tiemco and dr.slick scissors are the ones I still buy. My current favourite are the dr.slick razor 4" with the fine tip. I hold them while I tie and I really like the 'heft' of those scissors...

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm obviously not as hard on the equipment as you guys are because I am using a pair of Dr. Slick with a curved blade since 1994 I think. They still work fine. Prior to 94 I had pretty much no name scissors or at least I don't remember the names. The only thing that I notice about my 27 year old Dr. Slicks is that the gold anodizing has worn off the handle ends where the finger holes are.

If I ever need another pair I may try something different but these things have been fantastic.

flytie09

Reaction score
I personally like the pair of Dr Slick micro-tip scissors I have. I will admit...they are very delicate. If you don't drop them on the floor or cut a material you shouldn't like wire or tinsel.....then they will last a long while. I don't know about 27 years....but hey it's not impossible.

I keep 3 pairs of scissors at the ready with every pattern I tie. A dull pair for cutting wire/tinsels, a second sharp std point pair for cutting feathers and hair and the Dr Slick micro-tips for close up work around the head.

Add in a pair of wire cutters, fine tip cauterizer, needle nose pliers and a craft knife........you never know what might come up.