Search method recommendation

scoutm

Reaction score
As long as I've been on this site the search function has been a source of frustration. In dealing with that I came up with a method that works so much better than the embedded search function. The benefit to do this method significantly improve the ability to search on a combination of say terms such as both Manufacturer and model. For example if you wanted to search on Sage RPL+ you get all the threads with sage in them. Clearly not very useful.

What I've found is if I go into Google and enter Sage RPL+ and add Theflyfishingforum I get all the threads that specifically discuss Sage RPL+ rods. Further if you click the more results button you get a brief summary of some of the content along with how old it is (see below)

I'm finding this to be a much more targeted search method so I wanted to pass it on.

search function.jpg

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I should have made that post a sticky, so everyone could see how easy it is to do a quality search on the forum.

jwbowen

Reaction score
Maybe its just the "Asquith" topic I have been been surfing for but the above method
doesn't seem as targeted as it was in years past when using "theflyfishingform" addendum.

trev

Reaction score
Part of that is to include "site" and then ":" then the website's name including the ".com" or ".org" ect, and it will work with any site and with any search engine.

Query words site:anysitename.xxx

It's not limited to this site nor is it necessary to use google.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
The new free dating app, join in!)
Hey guys, I spam banned this person Thursday morning. I requested that all posts be deleted along with the registration but apparently there are a few posts left.

Get this, this is the weird part; although this was post number 8 on this thread, if I try to delete it the software warns me that "This is the first post on the thread and deleting it will remove the entire thread".

I gave it a try and sure enough the whole thread disappears.

Larry had a double post on the thread and I was able to remove his post without issue but when I try to remove the dating site spam I get the result stated.

All very strange to me and a first for sure.

Last edited: