Sept 2021 trip to YNP

2fastlx

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I am in the middle of planning a trip to the yellowstone area for september of next year. I have done a TON of reading on this site and found some great info, for that I thank you guys. I have some questions not so much about fishing, but about general trip planning. Right now my "plan" is to fly to Bozeman (from the Florida Keys) and rent a car. Our trip could be around 2 weeks or so. I thought Gardiner, MT would be a nice place to settle in for a week and kind of get our bearings. Seems like I can enter the park there and either go east to the Lamar valley area, or south toward some other sights. Keep in mind my wife and I both grew up down here and have never seen anything like the scenery that is out there. Needless to say, just driving around will be entertaining. From there is where the uncertainty sets in. Do I then go to West yellowstone to explore the southern portion of the park, or can I make day trips from Gardiner to see those? I know we would like to spend a few nights in Jackson Hole just to see it. I would take any advice you guys have as I would rather do this right while I still have time.

A few things:

It will be my wife and I. She doesnt really fish (yet) but likes hiking. From what I have read here, some of the best places to fish require hiking to them. Perfect! I plan on checking out slough creek, trout lake, and some others I have read about. I will be bringing a couple 5 weights.

If I were to stay outside the park, are there restaurants/bars that will be open late enough to hit after staying in the park until around sunset? I know I will sort of have to acquire all provisions in Bozeman when we arrive.

I do apologize for this post being jumbled together. Thanks in advance!

John

2fastlx

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, we would also like to hit Grand Teton so maybe while staying in Jackson Hole we can do that?

djfan

Reaction score
GTNP is a must see it you are at YNP. It's right there. There is so much to do up that way that you will eat like a king and hike forever, and not scratch the surface.

Fishing there is wonderful. i have had great luck nymphing Yellowstone River in the park, and great times on the Gallatin River. Just be aware that you are in Grizzly country. Carry bear spray ON YOUR BELT, so you can get to it VERY quickly.

The fly shops in the area are super helpful. You'll fall in love with the area and try to move here.

Post pics!

2fastlx

Reaction score
Thank you dj. Is sept (after labor day) a good time to do the trip? I read that the crowds may be a little less, however I dont want to sacrifice the views (or fishing) by going too late. I was shooting for around 9/7-9/21.

djfan

Reaction score
It's a great time. You will love the sunsets, sunrises, smells, etc. It's sacred. Hard to describe.

triggw

Reaction score
Staying in Gardiner or West Yellowstone puts you in for a lot of driving. And drive time is unpredictable, because traffic can back up for miles in a buffalo jam. To get the full Yellowstone experience, stay in the park. Especially at Old Faithful Inn and Lake Hotel. Canyon Village is a convenient location for access to pretty much the whole park, but I don't know anything about the lodging there. Reservations for 2021 open, I think, in May, so act early.

Thank you dj. Is sept (after labor day) a good time to do the trip? I read that the crowds may be a little less, however I dont want to sacrifice the views (or fishing) by going too late. I was shooting for around 9/7-9/21.
This is IMO the nicest time to be in the park. But actually a lot of people are on to it. After all the families with kids vacate to get the kids back in school, there's a bit of a "gray wave" of us older folks. In general, though, much less crowded. But various park facilities start closing down in Sept, so you'll find some facilities closed.

silver creek

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I am in the middle of planning a trip to the yellowstone area for september of next year. I have done a TON of reading on this site and found some great info, for that I thank you guys. I have some questions not so much about fishing, but about general trip planning. Right now my "plan" is to fly to Bozeman (from the Florida Keys) and rent a car. Our trip could be around 2 weeks or so. I thought Gardiner, MT would be a nice place to settle in for a week and kind of get our bearings. Seems like I can enter the park there and either go east to the Lamar valley area, or south toward some other sights. Keep in mind my wife and I both grew up down here and have never seen anything like the scenery that is out there. Needless to say, just driving around will be entertaining. From there is where the uncertainty sets in. Do I then go to West yellowstone to explore the southern portion of the park, or can I make day trips from Gardiner to see those? I know we would like to spend a few nights in Jackson Hole just to see it. I would take any advice you guys have as I would rather do this right while I still have time.

A few things:

It will be my wife and I. She doesnt really fish (yet) but likes hiking. From what I have read here, some of the best places to fish require hiking to them. Perfect! I plan on checking out slough creek, trout lake, and some others I have read about. I will be bringing a couple 5 weights.

If I were to stay outside the park, are there restaurants/bars that will be open late enough to hit after staying in the park until around sunset? I know I will sort of have to acquire all provisions in Bozeman when we arrive.

I do apologize for this post being jumbled together. Thanks in advance!

John
If you can afford it AND if you are fishing the first week in Sept, Roosevelt Lodge in YNP is the place to stay to fish Slough Creek and the Lamar. Roosevelt Lodge closes on Sept 7th.

Roosevelt Lodge & Cabins | Yellowstone National Park Lodges

Google Maps

hurricane

Reaction score
The Lamar is usually excellent in September (unless there is a rainstorm which could blow it our for a couple of days). Walk down to the river by the Ranger station.
Put a Hopper on and start hiking and casting upstream. The Cutts average in the area of 16" and usually in pods. They can be selective on the Hopper. Check with the Fly Shop in Gardiner.

2fastlx

Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. I will look into staying inside the park for part of the trip.

itinerant

Reaction score
Also note that as of right now the road between Tower Fall and Chittenden Road will be closed for construction until May 2022. This will make for a very long drive to transit between the Lamar Valley and any points south of there.

Rick