Shorts

rustneversleeps

Reaction score
Just curious what everyone's favorite shorts are for wet wading? I have some Simms Skiff shorts I like a lot and some UA zip off pants that I wear too, but just curious if anyone has a "go-to" for shorts? I've been looking at the Eddie Bauer Guide shorts and the Prana Zion shorts, but I like getting first hand experience from people that have worn them. Any ideas or input would be helpful.

Thanks

smoke33

Reaction score
Ya, no shorts for me either due to the same reason as above. However, if you are looking for some shorts that hold up well and dry decently quick I have purchased the Wrangler quick dry shorts from Walmart. If you want to spend more money I also like the Kuhl brand shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Ya, no shorts for me either due to the same reason as above. However, if you are looking for some shorts that hold up well and dry decently quick I have purchased the Wrangler quick dry shorts from Walmart. If you want to spend more money I also like the Kuhl brand shorts.

I second the wrangler brand quick dry shorts from Wally world, although I have several pairs of Simm's guide shorts and zip off pants, and some old Patagonia's too, the wrangler shorts are light, breathable, quick drying,really decently well made, and I've found them to be really comfortable and equal to the high end brands in most every regard. I picked them up the first time on a fluke a few years ago as I walked past a sale rack on the end isle of the men's section while headed for groceries with the wife....I think something stupid cheap like $12.99 or $14.99 they looked and felt decent so I took the chance....they have now become some of my favorite shorts for everything, lawn mowing, household projects, garage stuff, boating, grilling, knocking around on weekends, I like them enough that I go back every summer and pick up another few pairs and I've thrown about everything at them....if I get them greasy, or stained, I don't feel nearly as bad as trashing $50-70 or more specialty shorts. I have also found the Carhartt quick dry cargo shorts to be really good too...but they are around $30 when they go on sale end of summer. I know it may be sacrilege, but I've found these cheaper shorts to be every bit as good as the Big name fly fishing specialty shorts....so much so, that I find myself always grabbing these and often forgetting I even have the big name stuff. I do think the zip off pants and light weight quick dry, UV, Bug proof, fishing pants are worth the coin in big names, but in shorts, I don't think they exceed some of the other options out there by as much margin, maybe no margin at all. Truly, the two options above are really solid performers.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Yup the the Wranglers from WalMart are a surprisingly good pair of shorts! I have a few pairs, and I also use them for more than just fishing. On the other end of the spectrum I have a pair of Grundens that were expensive but they are the nicest shorts I have ever owned. Definitely my favorite shorts ever.

smoke33

Reaction score
It’s funny how others have found the Wrangler shorts. At $12.99 how can you go wrong. I own about 6 pair in various color and they are my everyday shorts in the summer and they have held up very well.

rustneversleeps

Reaction score
I had to delete.

:D
We're all buddies here :)

Thanks for the ideas guys - I have spent a lot of time in the Midwest as well and definitely understand the threat of poison ivy and wearing long pants. I had to bushwack with the dog out of a river cause of a lightning storm in Western Nebraska and didn't end up showering that night. Not only did I have poison ivy all over my exposed skin and clothes, but the dog had it all over her. I ended up getting systemic poison ivy and the **** was popping up all over my body in places that were never exposed. I learned my lesson that time.

Up here I don't have to worry about it as much and spend a lot of time on the Gallatin, Upper/Lower Madison, in the park, on the boat, etc. My house is about 3/4 mile from the Gallatin so I am often there after work in the evenings. Shorts and keens have been my go-to lately, but the felts have finally come out.

Thanks again for your help

MarsB

Reaction score
Most of my local rivers are like you describe and quite doable in shorts, but for some buggier, ivy or stinging nettle- infested areas I'll break out the pants. For shorts I think anything synthetic and reasonably lightweight will work. Those Wranglers sound intriguing, especially for the price. That said, I have a few pairs of higher end shorts that I typically use, all of which I purchased on sale. One of my main requirements for a wet wading pant is a side or front zipper pocket to secure my car keys and chapstick.

My go -to, super comfortable and quick drying. Men's Equatorial Stretch Short | Mountain Khakis

I like these, the cordura butt reinforcement is nice for scrambling on rocks and fence crossings. About the only thing I don't like is no back wallet pocket. Terra Mojo Shorts

I just picked these up, actually wearing them now. Little bit of spandex gives them a nice range of motion. Patagonia Men's Quandary Hiking Shorts - 12"

JDR

Reaction score
I really like my two pairs of zip-off pants/shorts that I bought from Allen Fly Fishing.

denver1911

Reaction score
I wear shorts in the midwest. Some of us aren’t bothered by posion ivy a d the like. Stinging nettle burns me a tad, but it quickly subsides and never leaves a mark.

redietz

Reaction score
I always wear long pants.
Poison ivy grows thick on every river bank that I might fish in the summer
I'm with you. Not only poison ivy, but long, light colored pants tucked into socks make ticks easier to see. They don't quite keep all the thorns from multiflora rose out my skin, but they help.

I wear quick dry cargo pants with zip off legs. I get back to the car, zip off the legs and I can go home mostly dry. And since they're quick dry, even my butt is often dry by the time I get home.

Never shorts.

redietz

Reaction score
I wear shorts in the midwest. Some of us aren’t bothered by posion ivy a d the like. Stinging nettle burns me a tad, but it quickly subsides and never leaves a mark.
Keep walking through it and eventually you will. It's an acquired allergy. I didn't get it as a kid, but I do now.

proheli

Reaction score
NRS makes the most comfortable shorts I own. They are firm but stretchy. Stretchy but thick so your junk doesn’t show. You forget that you are wearing them. They have a new Lolo guide short. $$, but if a guy wanted a go-to short, they’re great.

denver1911

Reaction score
Keep walking through it and eventually you will. It's an acquired allergy. I didn't get it as a kid, but I do now.
Ok. Maybe it’ll come back. Used to have it as a kid. Have gotten a rash from it twice in the last 30 years. Both times I was cutting vines of it (bare handed) and a sharp cut vine end broke my skin. How long will it before I become allergic to it?

redietz

Reaction score
Ok. Maybe it’ll come back. Used to have it as a kid. Have gotten a rash from it twice in the last 30 years. Both times I was cutting vines of it (bare handed) and a sharp cut vine end broke my skin. How long will it before I become allergic to it?
I used to be able to literally roll in the stuff. As an adult, I've had days when I've been able to clear the stuff bare handed with no reaction and others where I just need to brush up against it a few times in the course of a day to break out. It's an allergic reaction (there's no poison in "poison" ivy) and the reaction depends on how many times you've been exposed recently, among other things. Kind of like hay fever for the skin.

As Scout leader, I was out with a group of kids identifying plants to avoid, and pointed out poison ivy. One kid said "I don't that -- see..." and before I could constrain him, he rubbed in his face. I immediately took him to his mother and advised her take him home, and wash his face, preferably with Fels Naptha soap. "Ok, but he doesn't get poison ivy."

He spent the night in hospital and missed several days of school because his eyes had swollen completely shut and his face was a mess for a couple of weeks.

I still am not particularly vulnerable to the stuff compared to many others, but I don't take chances with it.

denver1911

Reaction score
I used to be able to literally roll in the stuff. As an adult, I've had days when I've been able to clear the stuff bare handed with no reaction and others where I just need to brush up against it a few times in the course of a day to break out. It's an allergic reaction (there's no poison in "poison" ivy) and the reaction depends on how many times you've been exposed recently, among other things. Kind of like hay fever for the skin.

As Scout leader, I was out with a group of kids identifying plants to avoid, and pointed out poison ivy. One kid said "I don't that -- see..." and before I could constrain him, he rubbed in his face. I immediately took him to his mother and advised her take him home, and wash his face, preferably with Fels Naptha soap. "Ok, but he doesn't get poison ivy."

He spent the night in hospital and missed several days of school because his eyes had swollen completely shut and his face was a mess for a couple of weeks.

I still am not particularly vulnerable to the stuff compared to many others, but I don't take chances with it.
Your experience may not apply to all others.