Shrew Eating Trout

chechem

Reaction score
Hard to see details (or 'dem tails'), but are you certain those are shrews?
Unlike mice, shrews are usually solitary, so finding this many in a trout would be very odd. More likely that a nest of mice was flooded.

Either way, pretty cool and unusual. Thanks for posting.

M

mridenour

What were that many of the rodents doing in the water that day ? Very odd a trout could happen upon that many.
Must have been bath day for the Shrew Family!!! Maybe they thought the grass was greener on the other side of the river and didn't think they would end up somewhere inside the rainbow!

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Silver, a couple of years ago we had a massive "vole" hatch at Silver Creek :)D) and I'm sure at least one of these pictures is from that period of time. Fish love mice when they are available - especially big browns.

Kelly

ghocevar

Reaction score
Thank God I didn't see this 'til after I just finished dinner!

A buddy of mine was a guide up in Alaska this summer and would catch the bows swinging a mouse pattern on the surface.

silver creek

Reaction score
I sent Gary the article about the shrew eating trout in Alaska and he wrote back that he has used a brown Strip Leech pattern to catch trout in Alaska. It's an easy pattern to tie.

Incidentally I caught my very first fly fishing trout using the Borger Strip Leech on the Firehole River in Yellowstone Park.

Here's Gary's version:

TieTalk: How to Tie a Strip Leech | Field & Stream

Here's a video of the Alaskan Guide version. Use the right color fur strip:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxcOf9PSIu0]Guide Strip Leech - YouTube[/ame]