Similar Fly;

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Similar to many flies I've seen lately but made with what I have available. I have made three and will give them a go on the resident rainbow trout from now until September. If it takes lots of trout then it'll be a shoo in for steelhead when I run across them.

The artsy version ....

What I had on hand was:
Pro Tube flexitube with the hook holder trimmed to 1/2"
Body: Gold flexi weight 15mm length
Bottom Wing: orange & red PB hair sparse
Throat: Dyed Squirrel Tail hair / orange brown sorta
Middle Wing: Firey Brown Fox
Flash: Couple strands of rainbow whatever....
Hackle: Red brown home dyed schlappen
Top Wing: Firey Brown fox then JC cheeks
Head: Black Pro Cone medium, fly should sink well.

I think the fly is dark enough to appeal to these fish as a Sculpin minnow or at least suggest that they may be something good to eat. The business of looking good to eat is I believe why the long black Monkey and Sunray types work well for me here. I think they look like a leech.

Here's a slimmed down version with no throat and a gold magic disc head.

You can actually see the 'body' on that one ;)

flytie09

Reaction score
Those are very nice Ard. Makes perfect sense why these would work so well. Hopefully you get into a pile of fish and share your experiences.

The Coon Dog series from Nick Pionessa is next on my list. Very similar to what you’re doing except I’d most likely use shanks.

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I went through the shank phase Mike, be sure to use the Senyo Intruder Wire for the trailing hook. I tried several types of Spyder Wire line and they were a bad idea. The stuff feels stiff when you are tying but after some use it gets like cooked noodles. Then the hook starts getting fouled around the leader to shank eye knot.

flytie09

Reaction score
I'm with you on the Powerpro or Fireline trailing loop negatives. Perhaps I should use the Senyo wire.....but I am a frugal tyer and opt for Beadalon. It's a wax coated wire used for bead crafts. It's nice stuff and comes in like 10 different colors. 1/3 the price to the Senyo wire.

I use this method as detailed here - http://daijonesflies5.blogspot.com/2015/02/sewin-sea-trout-night-intruder-step-by.html

After reading this method again.....he doesn't double back the Beadalon in the SBS...but he super glues the entire rig once the trailing loop is tied in. I'm going to try this to save some with bulk.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
That sounds good, the Senyo stuff........ I bought a package of black, one red, and I think that's all I got and they lasted years. I still have quite a bit because of making the tube move. I can however see the sense in using what you're talking about here due to cost. I guess I don't do enough internet searching because I'd never heard of the Beadalon material. Lately (today) I spent all my time learning the new software tools here. By the time I discovered why I was no longer receiving Reported Post e-mails or membership approval requests there were an entire pile of them stored for me here :oops:

Discovering them was only half the fun, figuring out how to turn Open files into Closed matters took about an hour but now I know where to look tomorrow.........

quadesherwood

Reaction score
In my minimal experience compared to you guys, I like the senyo wire too. Everytime I use braid, it allows the hook to catch on the dumbell eyes

Great looking flies. My wife is mailing me some tubes, so I hope to be tying tubes in a couple weeks

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

quadesherwood

Reaction score
Also, thanks for sharing that link, Mike. Very simple, sparse intruder that I am going to give a whirl to

Quade

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Quade :)

The last time I fished with a shank fly it was one I had tied because I saw them in a shop and they just looked like they would do the deed. So I bought a boatload of the painted dumb bell eyes and all the stuff to make way more than I'd ever need.......... I whipped them babies up and took them steelhead fishing.

It was a cold day in early November and I had been dropped off at a confluence where a medium size river dumps into a big one. After about an hours worth of nothing I'm downstream of the confluence and there's this great set of currents that you could look at on the surface and know there was a fish there somewhere. I make a cool cast, it's moving across the seams and Bam! And I mean Bam buddy in no uncertain terms, a fish hit that fly like it done something wrong! It could be my imagination but we may be talking the hardest strike I've ever felt, seriously it was a freaken jolt!

I stayed cool, didn't jump, just tightened my grip on my rod because it was obvious I just got hit by a pretty good size fish but then there was nothing..... I'm talking nutten no fish, no fight, no glory picture, nothing!

So whacha gonna do? You gonna move upstream 20 or 30 feet and cast again then take a step and cast again until you work right back down to where that mugger hit you and that's what I did.

I get back to the scene of the crime, I'm laser focused on that set of seams and moving that fly through there the exact same way when.............. Bam! I shix you not, just like 10 or 15 minutes ago, just as violent a hit and.......... NOTHING!

Oh yeah baby now I'm pissed and I grab that line and start stripping like a madman. Musta set an anchor to far over my shoulder, fly musta ticked a rock as it whipped up off the water and the D trailed behind me. Something sure as hell went wrong and then I get the fly in my hand and...... The freaking Owner needle point hook is hooked right up over the shank eye and stuck in the materials and eyes! Christ!

So there I stand, I've already cut the fly off the leader and extracted a Wilkinson Sunray tube from my little box. I was using the shank creation for the added weight of those Zinc eyes, my tubes are weighted but not that heavy......... So there I am tying a jam knot and this buttmunch comes drifting right down toward my seam fishing a bead under a bobber. I'm tying that knot fast as I can but not fast enough! He flings that bead right in the current seams and BAM! Oh yeah fish on.

He netted it about 50 or more yards down stream but it had the look of a very bright fish of the 10 to 12 pound class. Incidentally, that buttmunch in the boat? That was the same guy that dropped me off there at the confluence and I never fished with him again. We never really fished 'together' per say because he is a bead slinging D bag and I'm a fly fisherman but we used to go together on that big river and share the boat.

Call me a hardass, say I hold a grudge but after that incident I wouldn't take a leak on him if he were on fire. I do not forgive such things and he knew dam well what he was doing and he also knew I was trying to change flies and was on foot not drifting. After that I never used another shank fly either..............

quadesherwood

Reaction score
Hey Quade :)

The last time I fished with a shank fly it was one I had tied because I saw them in a shop and they just looked like they would do the deed. So I bought a boatload of the painted dumb bell eyes and all the stuff to make way more than I'd ever need.......... I whipped them babies up and took them steelhead fishing.

It was a cold day in early November and I had been dropped off at a confluence where a medium size river dumps into a big one. After about an hours worth of nothing I'm downstream of the confluence and there's this great set of currents that you could look at on the surface and know there was a fish there somewhere. I make a cool cast, it's moving across the seams and Bam! And I mean Bam buddy in no uncertain terms, a fish hit that fly like it done something wrong! It could be my imagination but we may be talking the hardest strike I've ever felt, seriously it was a freaken jolt!

I stayed cool, didn't jump, just tightened my grip on my rod because it was obvious I just got hit by a pretty good size fish but then there was nothing..... I'm talking nutten no fish, no fight, no glory picture, nothing!

So whacha gonna do? You gonna move upstream 20 or 30 feet and cast again then take a step and cast again until you work right back down to where that mugger hit you and that's what I did.

I get back to the scene of the crime, I'm laser focused on that set of seams and moving that fly through there the exact same way when.............. Bam! I shix you not, just like 10 or 15 minutes ago, just as violent a hit and.......... NOTHING!

Oh yeah baby now I'm pissed and I grab that line and start stripping like a madman. Musta set an anchor to far over my shoulder, fly musta ticked a rock as it whipped up off the water and the D trailed behind me. Something sure as hell went wrong and then I get the fly in my hand and...... The freaking Owner needle point hook is hooked right up over the shank eye and stuck in the materials and eyes! Christ!

So there I stand, I've already cut the fly off the leader and extracted a Wilkinson Sunray tube from my little box. I was using the shank creation for the added weight of those Zinc eyes, my tubes are weighted but not that heavy......... So there I am tying a jam knot and this buttmunch comes drifting right down toward my seam fishing a bead under a bobber. I'm tying that knot fast as I can but not fast enough! He flings that bead right in the current seams and BAM! Oh yeah fish on.

He netted it about 50 or more yards down stream but it had the look of a very bright fish of the 10 to 12 pound class. Incidentally, that buttmunch in the boat? That was the same guy that dropped me off there at the confluence and I never fished with him again. We never really fished 'together' per say because he is a bead slinging D bag and I'm a fly fisherman but we used to go together on that big river and share the boat.

Call me a hardass, say I hold a grudge but after that incident I wouldn't take a leak on him if he were on fire. I do not forgive such things and he knew dam well what he was doing and he also knew I was trying to change flies and was on foot not drifting. After that I never used another shank fly either..............
Holy cow, I'm rolling! Great story and good lessons learned.

Sounds a lot like my experiences with the folks on the Salmon Rivet mid October in NY.

Great story. Hoping to tie some sunray-esc tubes soon

Quade