Simms Guide Wet Wading Socks

quattro

Reaction score
been using these for a year now - best sock for wet wading I've ever had. Always just used smart wool or something similar. These are remarkable for how "less soggy" your feet feel after hours wading. using the with a neoprene sock and my feet feel great after hours wading in cold mountain streams.

Guide Wet Wading Socks | SIMMS Fishing Products

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
So here's a dumb question from a still wet behind the ears newbie, ho does this all work together? So it seems that the idea is you wear these socks, then next you put on the booties and finally your wading boots, correct? If so, what's the purpose of the booties? Normally that layer of neoprene would be your waders and the water barrier. The boots and neoprene get wet and your socks and feet stay dry. But here the booties aren't a water barrier, too short so everything gets wet, so what role does that neoprene bootie layer serve? Are they now just spacers to keep a good fit with your boots? Thanks.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I have the same question. I have Simms Ripraps that I wear without socks (as long as I don't have to walk too far) or smart wool socks. I thought about trying those Simms socks but wonder if they will be worth the price.

hollisd

Reaction score
So here's a dumb question from a still wet behind the ears newbie, ho does this all work together? So it seems that the idea is you wear these socks, then next you put on the booties and finally your wading boots, correct? If so, what's the purpose of the booties? Normally that layer of neoprene would be your waders and the water barrier. The boots and neoprene get wet and your socks and feet stay dry. But here the booties aren't a water barrier, too short so everything gets wet, so what role does that neoprene bootie layer serve? Are they now just spacers to keep a good fit with your boots? Thanks.
For wet wading the neoprene booty doubles as a gravel guard which folds over the top portion of the boot to keep debris out. The wet wading sock is essentially fit and comfort. It's main advantages are quick drying and odor resistance which is helpful when you may just rinse your socks with water over many days of consecutive wear.

And you're correct this would be for wading in a boot that you typically wear with waders so the fit is consistent.

For Simms Riprap and other light wet wading shandals I would forgo socks and booties.

mtboiler

Reaction score
A very thin poly sock would work for the rip raps. I wear the guide socks in my wading boots from about mid may through October. The socks keep your toes warm enough in colder water, the felt keeps you upright in the river and you are not burning up in your waders. If I am hiking a river or floating a river this is my preferred attire. I actually tuck the gravel guard into the boot to make it fit snugger. I could care less if I get a small hole or two in the socks since they get wet inside and outside anyway.
A little tip. Get some old man black socks. If you are like me and fish a couple days in a row they get tough to get on and off when they are wet. The thin poly calf high sock makes them easy to slide on and off. If you are walking a considerable distance, the poly sock prevents hot spots as well, which neoprene can give you. Plus, an added bonus is they look great while mowing the yard!!

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
A very thin poly sock would work for the rip raps. I wear the guide socks in my wading boots from about mid may through October. The socks keep your toes warm enough in colder water, the felt keeps you upright in the river and you are not burning up in your waders. If I am hiking a river or floating a river this is my preferred attire. I actually tuck the gravel guard into the boot to make it fit snugger. I could care less if I get a small hole or two in the socks since they get wet inside and outside anyway.
A little tip. Get some old man black socks. If you are like me and fish a couple days in a row they get tough to get on and off when they are wet. The thin poly calf high sock makes them easy to slide on and off. If you are walking a considerable distance, the poly sock prevents hot spots as well, which neoprene can give you. Plus, an added bonus is they look great while mowing the yard!!
Old man black socks... wait I have always viewed them as a mark of sartorial distinction. If some dapper fashion forward fellow wants to "rock"( as the youth say);) his knee highs while mowing the lawn he should be applauded. Ok I now descend from my defense of the currently maligned bit of men's apparel, which I just happen to know are available in a three pack from Amazon for $16, search gold toe knee high men's socks.:D

quattro

Reaction score
As said the booties serve as a gravel guard. Also allows me to wear the same boots with waders when the weather cools. The same combo allows long hikes into streams without blisters. I’ve found thin poly socks tend to slid around with long hikes.

mtboiler

Reaction score
Old man black socks... wait I have always viewed them as a mark of sartorial distinction. If some dapper fashion forward fellow wants to "rock"( as the youth say);) his knee highs while mowing the lawn he should be applauded. Ok I now descend from my defense of the currently maligned bit of men's apparel, which I just happen to know are available in a three pack from Amazon for $16, search gold toe knee high men's socks.:D
Calf High!! Not knee high!;) And Gold Toe are way to expensive. Walmart's finest are the shizzle!! Once inside the wading sock, I have never had them slip or fall down. I can personally attest to the fact that the calf high is barely noticeable with the wading socks but completely rocks the house when walking into the local brew pub with a pair of sandals!!!