Simms Warranty and repair, what’s your experience?

jolepage

Reaction score
Hello, I’ve been a long time daily reader but I have to admit I rarely post anything...don’t know why! Lol

I have a question...what’s is your experience with Simms warranty and repair service? Just wondering if there’s a general consensus...I only used it twice so far, and sadly I have to say it has been less than mediocre for me so far...

Jonathan

corn fed fins

Reaction score
In the 30 years of using their made in USA product lines I have personally never had an issue. There isn't a company out there that doesn't have people less than satisfied with them.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

jolepage

Reaction score
I owned a lot of their stuff, and I’m generally extremely satisfied with them. It’s just that I had to send my waders in twice in two years and when I got them back they were still leaking at the exact same spot. And both time I had to send them back at my own expenses ( I live in Canada, not cheap!)for them to do their job properly. Last time they did not even repair peeling tape of the booties...
Maybe I just hadn’t been lucky, but then again I don’t think luck should play a role in it...

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
100% satisfaction for me, communication is the key, all you need do is look at my postings and you might guess I communicate, they know me by name :)

osseous

Reaction score
Nothing but great experiences for me- I believe that to a certain extent, you get like you give. The folks that take a negative approach seem to be the ones that have issues.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

donkeyhunter007

Reaction score
The absolute worst......
Soooo disappointed in there customer service
Very disappointed considering cost
G4z leaked from day one all around zipper
Soggy from crotch to chest and inside delamination. I got them back with glue splatters around the inside and they still leaked. “Lifetime warranty” but hey charge you a fee unless you raise hell.
All those magazine adds claiming hundreds of days usage a year by guides.... what a joke
Was told my layering system was to blame
..... but same layering system stays bone dry in my Patagonia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donkeyhunter007

Reaction score
Hard to not be negative paying 800 and they
Don’t keep water out.
Then you send in and they say it is your fault?
..........get them back and they still leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
In general, customer service in the fly fishing industry is way above average...if not always especially knowledgeable. Simms produces some above average products, and uniquely in America now, makes their own high-end waders which are the best. Their staff is friendly and strives to be helpful but as I experienced with a significant failure of their new version wading staff, they don't take constructive criticism well and ultimately I gave up trying to solve the problem with them, they got a "D' on that one. They have repaired my wife's waders three times and the last time said, "Don't send them back again". She has Patagonia ones now. My G3's are going into their third season with no issues, above average for me and I'll have to await the future to comment on my experience with them. They have discontinued almost all their products I've favored in the past, kind of dumming down their lineup but remain over priced for what you get. Except for my waders and a couple of their older style fishing hats, I no longer use or recommend any of their other products. I had a great truly waterproof boat bag of theirs which I've carried all over the world...it finally fell apart at the seems but by then they had discontinued it in favor of an ordinary imported model. Back when they were a young, upcoming company they were kind of hip. Now, what they need to do is buy Winston, which they really should, move it to Belgrade with equipment, technology and personnel upgrades and they could then be a Western equivalent to Orvis.

jolepage

Reaction score
Ok
A little bit was I was expecting to hear...
I own jackets, packs and a bunch of layering pieces from them. I really love them all, they are expensive but great. Waders are great too...I mean they are waders, they will leak at one point. I understand that and I’m ready to deal with that.

My point is more than what you send something in and I have to pay for shipping here in Canada, I want it back fixed. Not leaking anymore.
Otherwise what’s the point...I could fix them myself but it would void the warranty. Now if I have to pay twice for something that should of been done right the first time. I think it’s not too much too ask...especially that it’s not hard to see what’s wrong with them. They only fixed a couple pin holes, it really looks like a half fast and botched job if you ask me.

And It takes about 6 weeks before I got them back...now with all that’s going on, I won’t send them back. And I’m gonna have to deal with a $800 pair of leaky waders for this season I guess.

jolepage

Reaction score
I don’t think I’m being negative...I’ll i want is waders that don’t leak
And you expect that’s what you would get coming back from there repair dept. I guess I was wrong...twice.
Will probably look for waders somewhere else next time. I learned my lesson.

VaFisherman

Reaction score
Every Simms wader I have had leaked within the first two years of using and when I sent them back for repair each time they fixed them but said the waders were at the end of their usefully life and would not repair them under warranty thereafter. Now some were used a lot but one only had a dozen or so trips on them so I don't consider 12 fishing trips the usefully life of a wader.

Guide Jacket that I have had for many, many years (maybe 15), but actually used very little, had the zipper seams separate on one of the pockets. I emailed Simms and asked best way to glue the zipper as I felt the jacket was way over any warranty but their response was to send it in and they would repair it. I was impressed that they would warrant a jacket that old and was more than willing to pay for the repair. Anyway they repaired the zipper promptly and returned it and the second time I wore it the same zipper failed, I am glad they did not accept my offer to pay for the repair. I fixed the zipper with AquaSeal and have repaired two other zippers on the same jacket sense, and they are holding fine.

I think they make a good product that preforms as well or better than any other you can purchase and use for the intense purpose. Waders will leak eventually, Jackets will fail if you fish them hard enough.

I guess I like their products but am not impressed with their customer service/warranty.

falcon53

Reaction score
I use Simms waders and have no real issues with them. I am somewhat hard on waders and after several years they start to develop small leaks which I patch with Aquaseal. I prefer Simms over Patagonia because they fit me better. I do have a pair of top of the line Patagonia waders which I'm using from time to time (I have trouble getting the booties off) as the Simms are becoming very well used. I make sure to hang my waders to dry whenever possible.

osseous

Reaction score
I wonder if Patagonia's Vietnam factory has shifted to making these for our healthcare workers?...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jolepage

Reaction score
Good on them!
Hopefully they did a better job on those than they did fixing my waders...