Simple fly patterns

WWKimba

Reaction score

Haven't tried a mylar belly - I think I know the version I'll tie next! I do tie my modern version of this as well. Same hook and thread but tie as an old Adirondack bucktail streamer with brown dyed green bucktail under 2-3 strands, doubled of peacock Krystal Flash and I replace the yarn with Darice Bright Jewels Metallic Cord in silver. Tie in the back with mono and use black (or olive or brown) thread - No need to tie down the peacock.

WWKimba

Reaction score
To take a look at your original question in a different way check out my thread I started under the "General Fly Tying Discussions" section of this site. The thread is entitled "What fly tyer would you suggest to a new/novice tyer?" and I would HIGHLY recommend my first choice - Jack Gartside (his site is jackgartside.com) and look at his many simple to tie effective patterns - in fact ANY of the first 4 on the list would be great. Hope this helps.

Kim

trev

Reaction score
A simple and deadly pattern - based on a PREhistoric Iroquois fishing lure is the Indian Streamer - a top 10 goto pattern for many Great Lakes area fishers. Start with any 3 to 6 XL streamer hook, lay in a smooth base of black (or brown or olive) thread from behind the hook eye to just above the hook point, tie in a piece of white wool yarn and wrap to the front and tie-in behind the eye (you may need only one of the strands of yarn depending on your yarn and hook size), tie in 4-5 lengths of peacock herl that extend about a hooks gap or more beyond the end of the hook, finish off the head of the fly with a whip finish BUT DO NOT CUT YOUR THREAD, tie the herl along the top of the body with open spirals of the thread (hold the herl up at a slight angle to the shank to keep it on top of the body), tie off your thread at the back of the yarn, finish here with a couple of whip finishes, cut the thread and cut the herl to one hook gap behind the back of the hook, treat both front and back with head cement and you are done!

It'll take you longer to read the description than to tie the fly! Tight lines and good luck!
Since the prehistoric Iroquois had neither sheep nor peafowl (nor hooks even) it would be interesting to see what he used and how it was made.

WWKimba

Reaction score
Since the prehistoric Iroquois had neither sheep nor peafowl (nor hooks even) it would be interesting to see what he used and how it was made.
Well, I said prehistoric because there are theories that the Algonquin Indians in the same area may have actually came up with this lure. In EITHER case it was a hollow avian bone threaded on some cordage that was tied to a gorge (later a bone hook then a metal hook - after the white men came, that is). The gorge/hook kept the bone on the line as a stopper and the effective bones were those that gave off tiny bubbles (cavitations) when jerked through the water. Some white man fly fisher must have seen this and used what they had on hand and came up with this fly. There is some discussion on whether the spiral was either wire or black tying thread - as I said it is a VERY old fly pattern taken from a prehistoric lure.

Hope this helps.

Kim

flytie09

Reaction score
Some great ideas....here are a few of my suggestions as they're cheap to source and easy to tie:

- Bucktail streamer
- Wooly Worm / Bugger
- Zebra midge
- Pheasant Tail Nymph
- Gold Ribbed Hares Ear
- CDC Comparadun
- Zug Bug
- Griffiths Gnat
- Various foam flies (ants, beetles, poppers)
- Marabou Spiders
- Al's Rat

Good luck to you.

WWKimba

Reaction score
Some great ideas....here are a few of my suggestions as they're cheap to source and easy to tie:

- Bucktail streamer
- Wooly Worm / Bugger
- Zebra midge
- Pheasant Tail Nymph
- Gold Ribbed Hares Ear
- CDC Comparadun
- Zug Bug
- Griffiths Gnat
- Various foam flies (ants, beetles, poppers)
- Marabou Spiders
- Al's Rat

Good luck to you.
Under Ants I would add the Deer Hair ant - also simple - just thread and deer body hair on a hook!

flytie09

Reaction score
I forgot the mop fly and San Juan worm. A couple of great flies to get ones feet wet with.

flytie09

Reaction score
I missed that. He could be a master fly tyer by now. Oh well......Charlie is still the King.

Fauxtog

Reaction score
I'll put some of the patterns listed here to work with my kids... get their nimble fingers going! Some might call me sweatshop dad, I just prefer to refer to it as grooming the next generation of fishermen :D

WWKimba

Reaction score
I hope to host a Kiss Swap - fly patterns inspired by the songs of the band Kiss.... NO WAIT! I mean a KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) Swap around May/June if all goes well. Patterns can include 2X2's (two materials or less, two minutes or les to tie), guide patterns, beginner patterns, etc... Any quick to tie, simple to tie patterns that catch freshwater fish. Keep an eye out!

Kim

boisker

Reaction score
Hi, I'm 11 and would like to tie some good flies. I'm good enough to catch wild trout on my own fly and often go across the street and catch bass up to 3 pounds with my designed patterns. They don't even have to work well because at this stage im only trying to improve my skills and learn more about the art :)
featherbender has some great vids and explains how to tie really well....
if you are starting from the beginning and looking to develop skills he has a good basic skills set of vids which puts some substance behind key skills
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJsqma2UiEHGyK85SmYWvK658nt-Ewfjz

his website: https://thefeatherbender.com/

WWKimba

Reaction score
I hope to host a Kiss Swap - fly patterns inspired by the songs of the band Kiss.... NO WAIT! I mean a KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) Swap around May/June if all goes well. Patterns can include 2X2's (two materials or less, two minutes or les to tie), guide patterns, beginner patterns, etc... Any quick to tie, simple to tie patterns that catch freshwater fish. Keep an eye out!

Kim
The KISS Swap is now listed and has openings. All level tyers are welcome and if you are new to swaps and/or a newer/novice tyer please send me a message and I'll be happy to provide any support you need to make this a GREAT and FUN experience for you.

Kim

BTW, if you want to see the old codger hosting this swap take a look at my previous swap - The Ladies Night Swap - pictures of the flies tied are listed as well. There's an OLD picture of me there! Tight lines my friends