Single Hand Skagit - Correct line with Rod?

TRW6

Reaction score
I've recently purchased the RIO Intouch Skagit Trout Spey line for my 10' 8wt Single Hand rod.

Based on their line-rod matching guide (and rule of "3") I got their 375 grain line that has a 17ft head length. I plan on using a 7.5 - 10ft sink tip for small streamers.

I'm concerned now that this line grain weight is too heavy and will break my rod at the butt - it seems like OPST, RedsFly Shop, and other places recommend a lower grain for a single hand 8wt - but RIO is recommending something higher. Is this the correct grain weight for my 8wt?

This is the link I found it at: https://www.rioproducts.com/products/intouch-skagit-trout-spey#taper-profile

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks

-TRW6

quadesherwood

Reaction score
I think you'll be fine. On my 6 wt single hand, I fish a 225 grain commando head and a 275 grain rio Skagit trout max. It's that way with all my heads. Airflo skagit scouts and opst commandos are a lot shorter and usually less grain weight than my longer rio or SA heads.

Just my thoughts

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jjcm

Reaction score
Rio's suggested grain weights can be higher when comparing them to others. Some companies, like OPST, prescribe lower grain weights because of their casting style. Ed Ward emphasizes a continuous motion cast. It is efficient in that it does not require as many grains to load a fly rod.

I fished a 360gn Skagit Scout on an #8 for several seasons and it worked fine.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
OPST chart says 300 grain. Somewhere between 300-375 grain is a line you will like the best. IF you have a fast rod with good recovery, 75 grains extra is not a big deal, it also depends on how the line is made and tapered. Stick with the RIO chart. If you go OPST stick with their chart.

LOC

Reaction score
I've recently purchased the RIO Intouch Skagit Trout Spey line for my 10' 8wt Single Hand rod.

Based on their line-rod matching guide (and rule of "3") I got their 375 grain line that has a 17ft head length. I plan on using a 7.5 - 10ft sink tip for small streamers.

I'm concerned now that this line grain weight is too heavy and will break my rod at the butt - it seems like OPST, RedsFly Shop, and other places recommend a lower grain for a single hand 8wt - but RIO is recommending something higher. Is this the correct grain weight for my 8wt?

This is the link I found it at: https://www.rioproducts.com/products/intouch-skagit-trout-spey#taper-profile

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks

-TRW6
Unknown has it right you'll fall somewhere between 300 to 370.
From my experience you will be on the end of the heavy side but it's not going to break your rod at the butt.

I use a 360 Skagit scout 16' with 8' of T8 on a 11'11" Short Spey 5wt rod which = to about a 8wt like you have.
This was the recommended setup from both Loomis and Airflow.
It works great and at the time it was the only Skagit line I had so I had nothing to compare it to.
Since then I have picked up two more Skagit heads a 325 Commando and a 300 SA Skagit Lite like you have.
So I experimented by going lighter. The 325 went well, so lets go lighter and I tried the 300.
I prefer the 300 now on my rod. I went from one side of the scale to the other but they all work.

I have the 300 SA Skagit Lite paired with the 8' of T8 and I'm casting 4" deceivers which it has no problem turning over.

All that being said, if had to use a heavy sink tip, or a really big fly, or a nasty head wind I would climb back up the scale towards the 360 grain knowing it all works. I can fine tune depending on what fly or depth I want to fish.

As another comparison I have also used the SA Skagit Lite 300 on my 10'6" 3/4 wt switch rod and it's heavy but not break the butt heavy.

If you are new to SHS the heavier head will probably help make it easier as you learn to make the casts.

Last edited:

TRW6

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everyone - this makes me feel a lot more confident in my choice. The original concerned stemmed from the fact that I broke a 5WT TFO BVK 2H Rod at the butt with the same grain line. At first I thought it was a manufacturer defect, but then I started to get paranoid it was user error: overlining too much, bad cast form, etc. I'm hesitant to ship it in to get it repaired knowing that the line could just rebreak it. Hence why I'm going to use my 10FT 8WT instead. Glad to hear the heavier line will be a bit easier to cast, I'm still learning the finer details of the skagit casts.

For Single-hand Spey, do you recommend keeping the sink tips at 5-7.5 feet in length?

flav

Reaction score
Don't let breaking that rod get in your head, BVK's have very thin walled blanks and are known to break. Send it in.

I've used 5 and 7.5 foot tips on my single hand Skagits and had no problems. However since you're new to the game you might want to try a 10 or 12 foot tip, especially if you're pulling your anchor. I just bought myself a 12 foot sinking poly for my little OPST Commando. I haven't fished it yet, but I'm hoping I like it.