Single Person Raft Thread

Acheron

Reaction score
Seems like there are a lot of people on here with frameless rafts (Watermaster, Scadden, WaterStrider) as well as small one man whitewater style rafts with frames, and likely a few others I am not so familiar with.

What do you have now? What rafts do/have you had? What types of lakes/rivers have you used it? What do you like about yours? What modifications have you made? What could be improved or do you not like? What about pics?! (Everyone likes pics)!!

What do you have now? What rafts do/have you had?
WaterMaster Grizzly and this year I'll be using a Scadden Raptor Lite Speed X.

What types of lakes/rivers have you used it?
Primary use is rivers and some small ponds/lakes. I tend to find rivers where I can float and fish at the same time for long lengths, so the less whitewater the better. I've been down up to Class III and feel the raft would handle rapids well above my skill. I've had my dog on the back of it in lakes and loaded it down with gear for very long day trips. Haven't done overnighters with it yet.

What do you like about yours?
Stability, ease of use, begin able to use fins and fish while floating. Super low profile works well in wind. Very maneuverable, with little experience I could tuck between rocks next to fast moving water and fish. Makes rivers and lakes accessible that are otherwise not. It fits into it's own backpack and weighs (I think) <40lbs total. Open bottom makes it easy to pick up and walk down to the river with.

What modifications have you made?
None really. Picked up force fins and what a difference they make. This year I've upgraded oars. I have a habit of digging too deep and busted an oar last year, so I went with upgrades for better performance, not durability, as I shouldn't be digging so deep!

What could be improved or do you not like?
It sticks to the water so much that I am warn out by the end of the day on fast moving water. It takes some power to get the boat moving when doing quick moves and sometimes that leads to bumping and rubbing that wouldn't happen in a craft with less of a footprint.

What about pics?! (Everyone like pics)
(will post some more pics when I get a chance)

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Watermaster Kodiak same as yours only a tad bigger . Carry my dog on the back on every trip , she hands me my drinks but the snacks never seem to make it up to me . Hmm , flawed , definitely flawed .!
I love this thing . All my pics are gone to the clouds and guess they aren't coming back . I'll take more this year . I have a Colorado XT that never gets used , would make a great deal on it for someone to pick up . I also have a float tube but I never use it either . I have a 13' Saturn (probably the best built of all ) that gets used when I have the wife with me , mostly still water for her or rivers for me n the pup on overnighters . I had a Sea Eagle SS10 that was a very heavy piece of junk , no recommendation from me . Thats about it for inflatables .

flybri2

Reaction score
I have a Scadden Skycomish Sunrise.
I usually float the Upper Delaware river. It's a very stable boat that's easy to handle both in and out of the water.
It has a fairly high seat that has both advantages and disadvantages. The negative is that you catch a lot of wind sitting high. the positive is that the high seat makes it easier to spot and cast to rising trout. I have a standing platform with a brace however I'm not comfortable standing in moving water. It's also very stable(not enough to stand in my opinion) when anchored in current making it easy to fish in fast moving deep water.

Attachments

Reaction score
I have the Skykomish Sunrise also. I removed the casting platform and leaning bar to reduce weight. Have floated most of the rivers in southwest Montana. I like the boat, but am considering a two person raft. Want something with a frame, 10’ - 12’ long.

dillon

Reaction score
Bucks Bag Float Tube
Ive had this old donut for many years. It was my first inflatable. It’s sits under the deck at my fishing cabin. I sometimes use it on a small nearby trout pond. The tube is also good to float the S Turns on what it’s name creek, using small hand paddles instead of fins.

Fish Cat v shaped float tube
i use this with fins on Stillwater only.

Scadden Outlaw
i bought this while at a sportsmans show from Dave. My wife talked me into it so she could use my Fishcat. Several years ago we belonged to a club that managed several small private lakes. She would often go along and enjoy the sunshine, reading and hiking about. She did notice how much fun I was having and wanted to join me. She learned to fly fish and we had a lot of fun.

I like the outlaw because it is fairly small and compact, but big and sturdy enough to feel safer, especially in foul weather. It has a nice seat with a back rest and it keeps your butt up out of the water. The oars are also nice when you want to travel a little faster, or into the wind. The red color really pops in a photo, lol.

10 ft. Outcast pontoon
I bought this to float rivers on my yearly Mt/Id road trip. I used it once on this trip. Then didn’t bring it again because was too much to pack. I used it a few times to float winter steelhead streams. I had some fun trips, but again hard to pack. It would be better to trailer or have a pick up bed to haul it in. Setting up the raft and frame at the put in took too long. However, now that I have a van I will see if I can slide it in. But, now I would use it on day Trips to rivers or lakes. It’s too bulky for Long trips due to all the other camping gear. A water master would be a much better choice, I think.

16 ft Clackacraft Drift boat
i own this with a friend. Neither of us has used it in many years. However, I’d like to get a 5-8 horsepower motor for it and use it for Lake fishing. I’m getting into fishing some very large lakes and would like some faster transportation and be able to fish in the same boat with my wife or other fishing buddy. This would replace the inflatables on these waters as they are not big and fast enough for my liking. I’ve enjoyed some river trout and steelhead river floats in the DB but I’m not into rowing rivers and playing guide anymore. I’d rather, pay for a guide if I want to do that. I don’t want to float rivers in inflatables any more either. I’d rather walk and wade, I get more fishing done and don’t want the hassles of floating.

W12 057 Silver Creek [PS s].jpg
Photo courtesy of SweetandSalt

Last edited:

BigSky

Reaction score
I too have a Scadden Outlaw X5 I use on the Big Horn, Madison, Missouri, etc. (https://www.davescaddenpaddlesports.com/product-page/dave-scadden-s-outlaw-x5) I want to know what anybody else is using for an anchor and anchor sytem for a pontoon similar to mine. I see these guides in their drift boats drop their anchors and they absolutely stay put. With my anchor, I drag it. I probably need a heavier anchor. I don't know what my anchor weighs as it is in storage. So, back to my question and assuming I am starting from scratch as far as an anchor goes. What do you use for an anchor on a pontoon similar to mine and what "system" do you use to deploy your anchor so that your pontoon stays put? Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. I've got to tell you, I'm 58 with two bad rotator cuffs and it takes all of my strength and energy to get to shore to park my boat. By the time that happens, I find myself a couple of hundred yards downstream from where I wanted to stop.

desmobob

Reaction score
I have an Outcast FatCat but I give the Outcast Stealth Pro and Outcast Commander a hard look every season. I truly love my FatCat but wish I could cover longer distances easier on the stillwater I fish. I drive a Subaru Forester, so I look at frameless or car-top stuff.

Acheron

Reaction score
I want to know what anybody else is using for an anchor and anchor sytem for a pontoon similar to mine
Scadden recommends the Scotty anchor system for his current boats:

A chunk of reading has told me the diamond/pyramid anchors are the best all around and the tube with spikes being second, specifically for Rocky Mountain rivers. If it helps all the guides around here have one of those two styles as well. Here is a pyramid style one:

I'm going to try to 12lb, larger rafts get away with 20lb (or less depending on flows) so I think 12 should be sufficient.

I've never used them on my rafts but will be trying this setup this year

sasquatch7

Reaction score
That mount looks good but I wonder if it wouldn't turn the raft sideways in current causing a casting inconvenience ?

Reaction score
I have the Scadden Skykomish Sunrise and use several short links of log chain for the anchor. I seldom us the anchor but it seems to work fine. I fished with a guide once who used that anchor.

Acheron

Reaction score
That mount looks good but I wonder if it wouldn't turn the raft sideways in current causing a casting inconvenience ?
Not anymore than anchoring a larger raft would. If you'd like to see it in action go to youtube and search Dave Scadden Detonator
Then look for one of the videos where he river fishes. I guess if you've never been in one of these it's hard to understand how stable and large they act. You will not be bouncing or swinging around while anchored unless you put yourself into a spot to make this happen.

You can find different videos of him using the anchor system in moving water (faster moving than I'd anchor in my one man!) while catching fish. He also mounts it off-center which I thought would cause a bigger issue but it does not appear to. Watching things other than the fish in the videos (which for me means watching the video multiple times :D :D) answered a lot of questions I had.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I should clarify that my thinking was actually geared towards my Watermaster Kodiak . I could glue another mount base on the back I guess .

huronfly

Reaction score
Watermaster Kodiak

Only river fished with it so far. Been using it on Maitland and Saugeen rivers. Will be taking it to stocked lakes this summer to try.

Pretty much everything. I can stand and fish, anchor up, plenty of room for storage, easy to use, lightweight/portable, durable,

Not my mods, but I have the anchor system and boat bottom, and those have been absolute game changers! A beer holder was a necessity.
I used about 12' of 3/8" chain on a D-ring for my anchor. It holds well in most water, if the water is too fast it'll slide, but I like that as it prevents me from anchoring in dangerous current.

Maybe a slight rocker design? But handles fine as is.

bluff.jpgraft.jpgrafts.jpgswing1.jpg

Last edited:

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I modify everything. I just finished a trolling motor mod for one hand motor tilting on my outcast 9ir. It was too difficult to reach behind and operate the tilt lever lock and use the other hand to raise the motor. I’m looking forward to iceout to try it out.

I also removed the anchor system and added 1.50” dia pulleys in better locations than the tiny oem pulleys. Added front motor switch and depth finder. Extended forward mounts for rod holders. Swivel seat. I modified my utility trailer for boat transport and underslung the axle for more ground clearance.

I made some great mods to my super fatcat and pretty much modeled my outcast 9ir with what I did to my outcast discovery 9 less motor.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Watermaster Kodiak

Only river fished with it so far. Been using it on Maitland and Saugeen rivers. Will be taking it to stocked lakes this summer to try.

Pretty much everything. I can stand and fish, anchor up, plenty of room for storage, easy to use, lightweight/portable, durable,

Not my mods, but I have the anchor system and boat bottom, and those have been absolute game changers! A beer holder was a necessity.
I used about 12' of 3/8" chain on a D-ring for my anchor. It holds well in most water, if the water is too fast it'll slide, but I like that as it prevents me from anchoring in dangerous current.

Maybe a slight rocker design? But handles fine as is.

View attachment 32819View attachment 32820View attachment 32821View attachment 32822
I feel pretty much like you do about my Kodiak but may I ask why the boat bottom . I specifically bought mine so that I could stand and fish in place without having to anchor but must admit an anchor would be nice in deeper runs that I'd like to fish . Also what do you hook your chain anchor to when in use ? As far as me standing to fish , good luck to me because I am clumsy it seems .

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I modify everything. I just finished a trolling motor mod for one hand motor tilting on my outcast 9ir. It was too difficult to reach behind and operate the tilt lever lock and use the other hand to raise the motor. I’m looking forward to iceout to try it out.

I also removed the anchor system and added 1.50” dia pulleys in better locations than the tiny oem pulleys. Added front motor switch and depth finder. Extended forward mounts for rod holders. Swivel seat. I modified my utility trailer for boat transport and underslung the axle for more ground clearance.

I made some great mods to my super fatcat and pretty much modeled my outcast 9ir with what I did to my outcast discovery 9 less motor.

I know that lake ! I lost a very full nymph box there and didnt catch a fish . Indians call me Vegetarian !

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I know that lake ! I lost a very full nymph box there and didnt catch a fish . Indians call me Vegetarian !
I'll try and snag it for ya but nymphs don't work there anyway. It's almost streamer time before the midges take over. When those big bows hit a leech you know it. Unlike the lazy indicator midge fishing later this year.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I'll try and snag it for ya but nymphs don't work there anyway. It's almost streamer time before the midges take over. When those big bows hit a leech you know it. Unlike the lazy indicator midge fishing later this year.
I've only fished it once and had no idea what to use . I'll try some leechs and buggers and see what happens .