Single Rower Shopping

SRyan

Reaction score
I've been reading all of the threads on single rowers out there. I'm looking for something I can solo float class 1-2, deflate it, roll it up and hike it or bike it back to my car a mile or two. I'd like to be able to anchor it on the slower water but the more I can anchor it in faster water the better (and more spots I can hit). I weigh 185lb

I've kind of written off the water master boats since they're pricey and have no rocker.

I'm considering the following:

scadden assault XR, outcast OSG Clearwater, outcast OSG commander, Maxxon Xpw-239

The scadden seems like the best fit for what I'm wanting to do but I'm worried about all of the customer service complaints. I'd rather fix something myself than send it in so I'm thinking the assault XR would be the best choice.

What are your thoughts?

Acheron

Reaction score
I'm not sure how floating is there but I generally need a few things to float and fish and could not really come up with a solid way to accomplish what you are looking to do, shuttle wise. I strongly considered exactly what you have described and the biggest problem you will have is figuring out an arrangement so the raft plus your fishing gear can be in a pack or strapped to a bike. The only solution I came up with were a fold-up trailers which attach to a moutain bike. Other than that, how do you plan to have a very large backpack with a raft in in plus any fishing rods/reels/fly boxes, etc., plus water bottle(s) and food, etc.? You can't strap too much to yourself or the bike or you will not be able to ride it!

Anyways...more to your questions, I have both a Watermaster and Scadden (not the assault). The rockering will not matter at all for Class I-II, that's where the WM excels (in my opinion), and the WM it comes with a backpack which holds everything. It's a bit more expensive but I have never met anyone who is unhappy with it.

The only real complaint with Scadden is his response/ship times. He's a very small business (I hear only 2 people?) and you have to set your expectations, as such, should something fo wrong. In other words, his response times and delivery times can be very slow/long/delayed. Maybe he has worked some of that out by now, I'm not sure honestly, I purchased a raft in the off season. I really enjoyed talking to him, he'll talk your ear off about anything rafting or fishing and answer any questions you have. I enjoyed talking to the guy who is out there doing it on his own, pushing the bounds of design and who personally designs, fishes, and sells his stuff. You would have to buy a backpack and NRS or Watermaster were the only viable options I found.

I am not familiar with the Outcast or Maxxon boats.

Again, thoroughly think through your shuttle plan.

Good luck! :)

sasquatch7

Reaction score
The way I shuttle and it's a PITA , is to drop off my bike at the take out point and cable it to something , if in the woods I lay it down out of plain sight and if I'm next to a road I cable it in plain site . I use a cable and a round padlock as it is a little harder to cut/break than a chain without a grinder and not that many people carry grinders in the forest and even less carry oxy/act torches . Anyway , when I get to the bike I ride it back to my truck and then come back and get my Kodiak . Like I said , a PITA but I'm only 1 person and thats the best I've found unless there is a shuttle service in the area . This year however I bought a Polaris Ranger and will be substituting it for the bike and wont require the truck at the end of the float . As far as rafts , if I didnt care about longevity I would use a packrat but I do care so I use a Watermaster . Look on Boats to go . com for other cheaper options .

SRyan

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback. I’d think I’d be only floating one section solo that is 1.4 miles and along a road.

im thinking I’d have to pack away:

My waders - little tippet and a small fly box inside
Fins
light wading boots.
A net
The boat
Oars
Life jacket inflatable (very little whitewater)
options rod tube but probably just carry it unless I bike.

Probably won’t bring water to snacks for that short of a float.
I’m a bigger dude and can pretty easily hoof 60 pounds that distance on foot. I’m sure I’ll look like a complete junk show walking down the road.
I feel like the watermaster is wayyy overpriced and the maxxon looks exactly the same.
If I screw up the scadden, does he make repairs? Can you repair those rafts yourself?

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Never go anywhere without water . I carry a Sawyer water filtration system and have needed it . You never know when a twisted ankle or other silly thing will leave you stranded .
Watermaster is a little pricey but you get what you pay for . I would pay for a Watermaster or something better (if there was such a thing) and fish an Eagle Claw before I would save money on a raft and pay $$$$ for another rod . I have both and I can tell you an EC will catch as many fish as my W, S , H , O and T rods .

You might be surprised at the amount of people that pull over to give a ride to fly fisher dudes and dudettes when simply walking down the road, be sure that they can see your fly rod ! lol

Acheron

Reaction score
If I screw up the scadden, does he make repairs? Can you repair those rafts yourself?
You should be able to repair the raft yourself should you need to. I carry aqua seal and a small patch kit in case I need a streamside fix. There are also a couple of you tube videos about how to add a d-ring and how to replace a valve to at least one model of his. I don't see any documentation on Dave's site where he talks about the material he uses PVC, Hypalon, etc. which would confirm you can use any standard rafting patch/repair kits, that would be another great question to ask him if you call...which I recommend calling to place the order if you decide on that.

Regardless of which company's raft you buy, you would only send it back for something major, manufacturer defaults, or warranty work.

SRyan

Reaction score
I’d be okay with the watermaster if it had a rockered hull. If I want to hit some pocket water and anchor in faster water, I’d like to have something that will plane a little more. The outcast seems to be the best choice in terms of design and company backing it it’s backordered until November!

mtboiler

Reaction score
I do this all the time, but in a packraft. Backpack and everything I need for the day is 24 pounds. SO your biggest consideration is weight. Hiking with most of those boats mentioned, plus your stuff for the day would not be as much of a problem as biking. I carry the same 'gear' when I packraft a river or hike to a high mountain lake.
One fly box, double sided with dries on one side and nymphs on the other. Forceps that have scissors. Three spools of tippet, 4x and 5x plus 4x fluoro. Spare leader.
One fly rod. Pool noodle wrap in case it goes over the side
Small net, with a magnetic net keeper to attach it to the boat.
Small first aid kit
Gerber dime multi purpose too. Weighs 2 ounces with pliers, knife and scissors.
Sawyer micro water filter
Anchor bag and rope. If going to lake, drift sock I made from an Ikea shopping bag.
Dry bag, bag pump and repair kit
Spare pair of socks for kick back.
Rain jacket.

Pretty much it. Light and easy.

al_a

Reaction score
I’d be okay with the watermaster if it had a rockered hull. If I want to hit some pocket water and anchor in faster water, I’d like to have something that will plane a little more. The outcast seems to be the best choice in terms of design and company backing it it’s backordered until November!
I've had a Water Master for going on 10 years now, and have never yet felt the need to anchor. I've fished it all over the Yellowstone River, and taken it on a 7 day trip on the John Day River in Oregon, carrying enough camping gear for the seven days, though there were friends along in bigger rafts that carried the food--but I could have carried it if I'd had to. The beauty of the Water Master is that in most places, you are able to simply stand up and stop to fish. And anchoring ANY small boat in really heavy water too fast and deep to stand up in may not turn out well. I've run class III rapids in it, and the rock garden runs of the John Day in low water that required pinpoint maneuvering were a piece of cake. Using swim fins, I can slow down enough to fish well drifting along in pretty fast water, and very easily slide into little eddies. The thing is simply great fun to row, too. I cannot say enough good things about it.

Acheron

Reaction score
I understand your point, I do not have an anchor mount on my Watermaster therefore cannot comment on it's ability to anchor.

My Scadden came with an anchor mount and I have used it in moving water and it worked great. As al_a said, I don't anchor in very fast or deep water, generally off to the side of it, because of the dangers.

Anchoring in fast water has too many potential gotchas...I'm there to fish not surf waves! :D

Last edited:

SRyan

Reaction score
follow up to this:

I bought a Scadden Assault XR and took it out for the first time yesterday on class II. It handles really well and was super fun floating the river. The oars are too long for the rower side so I have to call Dave about that. If those handles would just pop off I would just cut them down to size. The seat is total junk but the raft works better without the seat. I took the rolling bag with me, put the whole thing away in the bag at the end of the float and hiked back to my car 2 mi which was pretty easy. I'll likely try to get a little bike cargo trailer and stash a beater bike in the future.

I haven't tried the anchor system yet but I just pulled it up on the bank or stood in shallow water periodically. Super fun and I can hit a ton of great fishing spots quickly. You realize how little of the water you can hit walk and wade in higher water.

I bought some float tube fins off of amazon and they were complete junk. They came off immediately. The anchor system would be nice so I'll give it a go today. The boat comes with a heavy duty motor mount transom that I can put the anchor system on but its super big and heavy. I will likely add a glue on scotty mount for the anchor system to keep things light and small. Overall pretty happy with the raft. I can see why people say they are not a serious raft but for class II it doesn't matter all that much. I value the low weight and price more than having something that will last 25 years.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
There are a handful of videos out with guys showing DIY builds for Flycraft caddies, I think most of PVC.

I personally just carry mine to the river because I'm always with somebody. But it's definitely necessary to carry or put on a caddy. If you drag these rafts it will destroy them.