Sinking line question on a purchased older reel.

caddis75

Reaction score
Hey all. I just got a pristine SA system 2 89 reel off of off Facebook and was surprised to find a like-new fly line on it: The code on the line is M01 SA MS SE 350 GR. This is the closest code I could find: Mastery streamer express 350 grain. I was planning to pair this reel with an 8 wt rod (Fenwick aetos). I lawn cast it, it's a little on the heavy side, but it double hauls well. The orange and grey line seems to be for 9-10 weight rods. This is my first foray into sink tip lines. The original plan was to buy some floating 8 weight line and keep this as a summer bass rod, but wondering if this setup could work for streamer fishing trout streams like the Upper Delaware or the Penns in PA, which at most depths are under 8 ft deep. By the way, this reel is like a piece of lead, the heaviest reel I've ever held.

luurV9LEQ16cPPMjjT9oNw.jpg

eastfly66

Reaction score
350 I think is a lot for even a stout 8 wt. I use that on a 9 or 10. You might want to look into the Titan lines ...I think I saw them on sale too.

trev

Reaction score
it's a little on the heavy side, but it double hauls well.
I'd say you answer any questions with this statement.
I've seen 300gr sink tips recommended for 8wt rods, and Jim Teeny includes 8wts in his recommendations for his 400gr sink tip. If you can use it in the way you want, it works. If not then it doesn't work.
Personally, in streams and ponds, almost all my bass fishing has been done with a suitable floating line. I've taken the most bass in the top three feet of water, however that may be because that is the zone I target most often.

Reaction score
A little late to the thread but here's my experience.

I bought a T300 in 1996 as a 2nd line for winter steelhead with a 9.5' 8 weight Scott. The guy at the shop said "It'll shoot great, but don't try to haul it out of deep water"
About 4 years later I was standing in a buddy's drift boat, working streamers for summer salmon, and after letting it hang, instinctively gave a sharp 4' haul against 28' of sunk line in 4 mph current. The graphite exploded just above the cork.

So yea, it'll shoot great, but dont try to haul it out of deep water.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
350 is a lot for a 9' 8wt, but if you feel it casts fine then use it, I don't think you'd be anywhere close to the only guy out there using a 350 on an 8wt.

I have two of those old SA System 2s, one Japanese made and one Korean. Both are great little pawl reels. Since that is made in England I am wondering if it was manufactured by Hardy. I think Hardy made a lot of those old pawl reels for SA, and those System reels are almost identical (if not completely identical) to Hardy's Marquis reels.

LOC

Reaction score
Wow, that is a minty fresh reel!
As others have said and also your observation that grain wt is a bit much for a 8wt for all practical purposes.
It will work but your Aetos may think you have entered it into the Olympic hammer throw when you are on the water. ;):)

original cormorant

Reaction score
I've seen 300gr sink tips recommended for 8wt rods, and Jim Teeny includes 8wts in his recommendations for his 400gr sink tip.
Not on the packaging of my TST400 - it's marked #9 to #12, as is the TS450. My TS350 is marked #8 to #10. I've only used these lines on #10 and #12 rods and never in freshwater. You don't need heavy lines to achieve fast sink rates. I wouldn't choose to fish 300grain on a #8 rod.

I'd note that as the line is laser marked it's clearly much younger than the reel.

trev

Reaction score
I wouldn't choose to fish 300grain on a #8 rod.
It you've ever cast a standard 8wt line more than ~42' you have used a 300gr line on it.
You can read here "T-400 Fly Line, 8-12 Rod Size,"

fwiw, I have used a T-400 on a 7wt 'rod with no problem. But, I never asked anyone if it would work and I never read containers.
If you think it doesn't take mass to sink a line in moving water, I won't argue with you.

original cormorant

Reaction score
When I bought my teeny lines the Teeny Lines were calibrated in hundreds(TS series) in sinking as '50's (TST series) as sink tips.
Your original posting referrred to T400 as a sink tip. I suspect in Teny terminology this is not a sink tip - since 30ft is the minimum for all teeny sinkimng lines. There is some confusion.
There are T series lines calibrated in hundreds( 30ft sinking head) , TS series calibrated in 50's with a 30ft sinking head and TS-T series lines calibrated in hundreds with a 24ft tip and 10ft clear tip.
On the teeny website T400 is not described as a sink tip.
The lines I have with packaging are TS350 #8 thru10, TST400 #9 thru 12 and TS450 #9 thru 12, I also have a TS550 without packaging.

In short my view is that 300 grains is the sensible limit for a #8 rod.

Last edited: