Small stream Stories and Pictures;

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My young fishing bud Rapha took me on a little marvel he knows...:)funny I had never fished this stream before although I know all the smallest streams of my area....for once he wa:fishing:s the guide:D his flyfishing level is so high he coulld easily put very pretentious flyfishermen to shame:D:D
IMG_20200514_114516.jpg
IMG_20200514_163034.jpg

jayr

Reaction score
Here is a typical small stream in the GSMNP. Also showing the thickness of all the rhododendron, fallen trees, etc. The rainbow is a wild 13 incher caught high sticking. This was taken last week 5/9/20.

IMG_4094.jpgIMG_4098.jpg

LePetomane

Reaction score
Nice browns from a stream near my home. Both fish were taken on size 18 Sawyer Pheasant Tail nymphs fished 18" below a Parachute Adams for an indicator.

[/url]

huronfly

Reaction score
I hiked into a creek that I had been eyeing up for a long time. There are no records (that I can find) that would indicate that a population of brook trout was present in this tiny creek. I found a map from the early 1900's that actually labeled this creek as "spring creek", which it is no longer named. When I arrived at the creek I was immediately excited to see that there were in fact many springs coming from the hillside feeding into this creek. It is a very short running creek that runs into a swamp, and it obviously wouldn't be able to support much fishing pressure, so I am reluctant to tell even my best fishing buddies where I found this spot:D. After catching a handful of little gems from this location I moved on to another spring creek that I was familiar with, which had browns and brookies, and had a blast there catching some nicer browns on my glass 3 wt.

spring.jpgbrookie2.jpgbrown3.jpg

Last edited:

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another small....stream,not the easiest to fish I know:unsure::)
IMG_20200522_120121.jpg
I look silly with those fit over glasses....this brown is a beauty
IMG_20200522_112541.jpg
I love this spot....no trout under the bridge this time,but it's so beautiful it's worth it anyway
IMG_20200522_132125.jpg

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I'm glad I went when I went. I wasn't really going to go at all.

A forest fire closed highways and blocked access to a very popular arizona rim stream that's being stocked with native gila trout. So I went thinking less people. Maybe I could get some stream to myself and catch some of those stockers. It turned out I had most of the river to myself.

I went to all the popular stocking places that I see online and caught/released the gila stockers.

Then I took the well worn path along the river and had a great time stalking rising gila's in the grass lined cut banks.

The trip turned out great. Due to the smoke at the river and in the nearby town I camped at the top of the rim about 45 miles away. Camp was pretty clear of smoke but it snowed ash one night which was something.

Today's thought;
I'm really glad I went when I went. The fire is controlled now and the highways are open. But now the entire tonto national forest and most of the rim is closed due to extreme fire danger so all those anglers and all those gila will have to wait until another day.