Small stream Stories and Pictures;

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-

Jeepster- that is one of my favorite Arizona fishing spots. Fine fish, and some impressive mud banks to make life a challenge for anglers. I would like to be close enough to fish those waters again.
thanks for the post-

Ed

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Back from a trip to arizona's mogollon rim and its trout streams. Wild brown trout were willing to take a dry fly in November. It was a great time fishing and enjoying the cascading waterfalls on this cool little mtn stream. I love flicking my sage circa 379 with a little galvan brookie in those small streams. The snow on top of the rim creates springs at the bottom and these streams flow from the bottom of the rim to the salt river canyon.

Bam Boozelled

Reaction score
Spent a few hours in my small freestone creek for a test drive with my new 7'6 4wt that I got for Christmas. Started around 8:30am, it was a cloudy day and the temp was in the mid 40's, water temp reading I took was about 44*. I had a single hook up and the fish was off immediately and never gave me a second chance. I spotted a few others in some of the deeper pools but wasn't able to rig in time before they had slipped out of view or reach. I also witnessed a couple small fish rising around noon but was unable to convince them to take my offerings, so all I caught today were these pictures. Still a beautiful way to spend a winter morning.

Clip of me losing my one take.

Last edited:

mbrman

Reaction score
Here's a few pics of my favorite little 3 weight Montana streams I fish every spring. They always give up hundreds of 4-16" Cutthroats and Rainbows every spring (all returned unharmed of course)! I switch over to the larger rivers around the middle to end of July after the small creeks get really low and clear. Much bigger fish can be had there!

dillon

Reaction score

Goodbye Liz

Reaction score
It was a looker. I saw what I'm guessing were very small brook trout in a couple of the very small pools I came across. Smart boys/girls because I saw them dart when I was still almost 10-15 feet away, but they started poking about after I stood behind a tree for a few.

Reactions: Ard

jpielock1992

Reaction score
Not too far off, 70miles. LOL .But it is amazing how many small streams look very similar in a given geographic area. Nature is pretty powerful! You should check out the Farmington in Connecticut and the Swift in ,Belchertown,MA. You can fish the Swift year round with excellent accessibility.Cheers,Chet

Goodbye Liz

Reaction score
Not too far off, 70miles. LOL .But it is amazing how many small streams look very similar in a given geographic area. Nature is pretty powerful! You should check out the Farmington in Connecticut and the Swift in ,Belchertown,MA. You can fish the Swift year round with excellent accessibility.Cheers,Chet
Thanks Chet! Is the swift out that way still busy in the winter or slow down a bit with the cold? It would be a weekend trip, but it's definitely been on my radar. Cheers

jpielock1992

Reaction score
The Swift has two distinct sections,above rt 9 and below rt 9. The section above can be a bit active on nice days. The section south of rt 9 is pretty nice. If you don't mind walking you can always find a quiet place and fish!.Either way you can see the fish,which is fun and frustrating, but it about the only place to fish during the next two months.Cheers Chet

Dances_With_Brookies

Reaction score
Stopped by a spring creek I often fish during the catch and release season and it was great. Large hatchery trout are put in the creek from the hatchery on site. An upper section has the biggest trout and draws a crowd. I fish a short distance from parking and fished about 3 hours before another 4 hour drive to get home. I always try my dry dropper and hit the weed banks. Those big hatchery rainbows slam that rig, jump out of the water, take a run or two all in that little creek. Something to see.

Just curious...Given the regs and weather/stream conditions following March 31st- are there a lot of holdovers, or does the place just get totally plundered after that date? Beautiful looking fish for sure.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Just curious...Given the regs and weather/stream conditions following March 31st- are there a lot of holdovers, or does the place just get totally plundered after that date? Beautiful looking fish for sure.
Totally plundered however by march 31 those hatchery trout are pretty smart and harder to catch. The trout in the upper section survive because it closes march 31 due to the reg. Stockings begin in the lower section.