Smith Chromapop?

sndmn11

Reaction score
Who has used the Smith Chromapop lenses? What lens color/tint do you have and how do you like it? Anybody with the Chromapop photochromic Ignitor tint?
Curious to hear of your experiences with them (any Chromapop) as searches on here and elsewhere don't turn up much other than just a few short term reviews. I am have looked through some for just a few minutes at the shop, definitely will be replacing my Oakleys, but have yet to look through any Chromapops on the water.
For what it's worth, I live in Denver, fish the typical CO rivers, and have brown eyes.

pho_phizzat

Reaction score
Have not tried the "Chromapops" but I do have a few pairs of Smith Polarized glasses. I will never go back to Oakley after having these.

itchmesir

Reaction score
What do you mean by short term reviews? Because I think the chromapop lenses came out just last year...

Imho Smith makes great glasses... Have owned a few. Currently own a pair of their older polarchromic glass lenses. Amazing.

yikes

Reaction score
I had previously emailed Smith to ask them if/when they were coming out with prescription versions of ChromaPop. They said in the next year.
Meanwhile, it's strictly non-prescription.

sndmn11

Reaction score
Itchmesir- By short term reviews, I mean that I have just been able to find ones typical of any industry when a new/updated product comes out that briefly say they wore them some and are great. I haven't been able to find anything in depth or on forums like I can for other brands or the lens technology from Smith that preceded these.
I am thinking of three different tints/colors; brown, mirrored bronze, and the photochromic ignitor. However, without being able to actually wear them on the water, and with no reviews from those who have fished them (like I can find for older Smiths, Costa, Maui Jim, etc.) I may just have to take a guess. I did email Smith the other day, and hopefully they can shed some light for me.

siskiyoublues

Reaction score
I've had a pair with bronze lenses for about a month now and have been really happy overall with them. They're the first pair of polarized sunglasses I've owned that I feel like I actually get a performance advantage when looking through the water.

I've never used the high end costa's but I'd really like to give them a side by side test, I'd expect similar performance.
I do like the chromapop's noticably more then my older polarized smiths,

I say go for it,

blazer75

Reaction score
I have the polarchromic ignitor. I absolutely love them. I was afraid they would be to light to wear with bright sun but they are just fine. I have WX P-17 amber and a pair of oakleys with vr28 and I will never wear either of them again now that I have these. Highly recommended.

sndmn11

Reaction score
Blazer75 and siskiyoublues- Thanks, you both have the chromapop lenses? I have looked through the brown, but not the other two. My worries with the bronze and the brown are that on overcast days they would be too dark, and with the ignitor that the rose color might not be ideal for spotting trout.
Smith emailed me back suggesting any of the three with the brown lens being best. Hpefully in the next few days I can find a store that has all three in stock to try.

blazer75

Reaction score
Actually even though the polarchromic ignitor shows up in the chromapop advertising they are not chromapop. They are glass lens and they are photochromatic meaning they change tint with different levels of uv exposure. The chromapop lenses are not photochromatic and do not change tint.

802flyfish

Reaction score
I have the gibson chroma pops in brown. I love them . 209 on smith website. Half off on promotive.com

sndmn11

Reaction score
Blazer75- Where did you hear that there wasn't an Ignitor color in Chromapop?
802Flyfish- What promotive group are you a part of?
I think the closest I can get to testing these all properly is to swing by the REI in downtown Denver and take a look at the South Platte. Hopefully in the meantime others will chime in with their experiences and opinions.

blazer75

Reaction score
The lense descriptions on the Smith website has the info. Polarchromic Ignitor lenses are techlite glass. Additionally they have the Evolve insignia in the upper left corner. The Chromapop lenses are poly and have the SmithCP insignia in the upper left corner.

802flyfish

Reaction score
Military.

I enjoy my chromapop more then other sunglasses I've worn before. The lens really make the color pop out. The grass looks greener, the sky looks blue. They are really durable, they are pretty sratch resistant. I've worn them on the water a handful of times. I personally don't think there a huge difference then other polarized glasses, whenon the water. If you go on the website they have information and they demonstrate how the chromapop a lens work.

finnslr

Reaction score
I've been using some with a brown lens. They are far superior to the Oakleys I was using (they are my mowing glasses now!). They were expensive but after cataract surgery because of not wearing any sunglasses for years on the water sailing, I've learned to protect my eyes. Theses are the best glasses I've ever owned, period!

maccadon3000

Reaction score
Military.

I enjoy my chromapop more then other sunglasses I've worn before. The lens really make the color pop out. The grass looks greener, the sky looks blue. They are really durable, they are pretty sratch resistant. I've worn them on the water a handful of times. I personally don't think there a huge difference then other polarized glasses, whenon the water. If you go on the website they have information and they demonstrate how the chromapop a lens work.
So when you say they are "pretty scratch resistant", does that mean you've still put some tiny scratches on them or you've had them in situations where they should have been scratched but came out like champs. I'm buying a pair tomorrow, but I want to know how much I should baby them. I have been wearing Smith glass lenses for a while, so I'm not hard on my glasses, but I definitely don't baby them. Just wondering about the level of abuse yours have seen in the short time you've had them and how they've held up.

Also, as far as brown vs bronze mirror. I talked to a Smith rep today and she said the tint is exactly the same when looking through the lense. The only difference is mainly cosmetic and the mirror finish cuts a little light through the lense. From the horse's mouth for what it's worth. I'm going with the brown Backdrops.

coastrider

Reaction score
I have had the Smith Chiefs for well over a year and they took several falls from over 6' and are still I good shape. They have 1 super tiny scratch from falling 6' onto cement lens first :eek: the frames are a bit beat up but you cant tell as the colour is thru the plastic. Best glasses ive ever had or had on my face even. I would not hesitate to buy another pair at all

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

coastrider

Reaction score
Love the brown lenses, I find they are more lifelike. I find the other lenses give a false sense of brightness, if that makes sense

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

maccadon3000

Reaction score
Okay. So I bought a pair of the backdrop browns today and I'm taking them back tomorrow. I wore them on two different occasions today and we have sunny conditions today. I'm not sure what it was, but they are so vivid and bright that I started getting headaches after a half hour each time. My eye strain was unbearable. After I put on my polarchromic coppers, I got that sigh of relief feeling. I don't know if it was the extreme clarity, the tint(brown is not dark at all), I'm used to glass and these are not, the chromapop is making my brain work too hard(which isn't hard to do), but I'm not going to keep sunglasses that give me headaches. I'll stick with the amber and copper techlites.