smooth or textured, SA or Orvis?

Pcpacker

Reaction score
Hey fishermen and fisherwomen,

I am assuming this is personal preference and i will hear both sides. 129 dollars is a lot of money and I don't want to get it wrong.

I have mostly used Rio lines in the past but a few years ago I bought an SA sharkskin line. I took it off the reel immediately and have never used it since. It was mostly the noise of the line going through the guides but also the feel on my fingers. I prefer fly fishing to be quiet and tranquil. It wasn't for me.

Now I am getting a new set up Sky-G/Litespeed and I am thinking about trying SA/Orvis for the AST coating. Are the new textures worth trying? I have read all of the marketing claims as to why they are better, but in real life will I catch more fish?

I am leaning toward Amplitude Smooth Trout for this setup. The Orvis Pro Trout is the same price. I’ve never fished a triangle taper style line. For dries and dry droppers and fairly short distances, which do you think pairs with the sky g?

Thank you!

Last edited:

ryc72

Reaction score
i dont know anything about the rod in question but i really do like the sa smooth lines. imo, they shoot better and and they stay slicker longer than rio lines. i havent used the orvis trout pro or wulff triangle taper lines but casting a scandi head on a 2 handed rod is really really sweet so id imagine that for dry and dry dropper fishing the triangle head shape should be really nice.

Pcpacker

Reaction score
i dont know anything about the rod in question but i really do like the sa smooth lines. imo, they shoot better and and they stay slicker longer than rio lines. i havent used the orvis trout pro or wulff triangle taper lines but casting a scandi head on a 2 handed rod is really really sweet so id imagine that for dry and dry dropper fishing the triangle head shape should be really nice.
Thanks for your reply. I have been to three stores and nobody has the SA smooth trout. I may have to buy it online.
I don’t want to buy all three since lines are so expensive!

proheli

Reaction score
I haven't used a Sky G so I can't speak to it at all, my 4 weight is a Pure 904 and its a softer rod. I do have both of the lines you are talking about in the textured version. If you haven't seen the OPT taper on the Orvis site you can check it out and see that it is sort of a modified TT/WF. I like it for drys and dry dropper. You can tell the loops roll out a little slower and smoother than with the SA Amp Trout. OPT is a little fatter feeling so mending is nice. You do lose a little authority somewhere in that 40-60 range depending on your skill level, but also, the true weight Amp Trout is a not a heavy hitter anyway, but the SA Amp trout is pretty nice if you are at the longer trout distances. The textured lines do make a sound, a little zing, through the guides, but its nothing like Sharkwave was. In fact you hardly notice it on the OPT T. Amp Trout T can be quite a dart. Its a pretty neat if you ask me. Pretty slick and accurate. I think its clear the new coatings are excellent and its also clear that the textured lines go through the guides a little easier. Does that you mean you can cast 2 feet farther or 10 feet farther, well I don't know how it is for you so I can't really say, but I can say that the textured lines slip through a little easier.

It sounds like you are a little scared to try the OPT, well I don't mean scared, you know what I mean, you just don't want to mis spend $130. Before you get a OPT, I'd suggest just going to some shop with a 4wt TT and casting with your new G. If you like it you will know that the OPT is 1/2 way between it and a SA Trout. Also, I forget the exact name, but besides the TT, Wulff also makes a TT Pro, or a TT Plus, and it is a 1/2 size heavy, so you could really start to dial in what you want. You could could have two lines. The SA and then one of the other three for your close in dry fly work if you didn't think that was giving you the presentation that you wanted. A buddy of mine has the SA and then also the Airflow (elite I think) for his in close work.

I always think using a WF line in close is a little like throwing bomb at the target and then letting the leader unfold at the last minute. I'm probably needlessly splitting hairs at that point.

Pcpacker

Reaction score
I haven't used a Sky G so I can't speak to it at all, my 4 weight is a Pure 904 and its a softer rod. I do have both of the lines you are talking about in the textured version. If you haven't seen the OPT taper on the Orvis site you can check it out and see that it is sort of a modified TT/WF. I like it for drys and dry dropper. You can tell the loops roll out a little slower and smoother than with the SA Amp Trout. OPT is a little fatter feeling so mending is nice. You do lose a little authority somewhere in that 40-60 range depending on your skill level, but also, the true weight Amp Trout is a not a heavy hitter anyway, but the SA Amp trout is pretty nice if you are at the longer trout distances. The textured lines do make a sound, a little zing, through the guides, but its nothing like Sharkwave was. In fact you hardly notice it on the OPT T. Amp Trout T can be quite a dart. Its a pretty neat if you ask me. Pretty slick and accurate. I think its clear the new coatings are excellent and its also clear that the textured lines go through the guides a little easier. Does that you mean you can cast 2 feet farther or 10 feet farther, well I don't know how it is for you so I can't really say, but I can say that the textured lines slip through a little easier.

It sounds like you are a little scared to try the OPT, well I don't mean scared, you know what I mean, you just don't want to mis spend $130. Before you get a OPT, I'd suggest just going to some shop with a 4wt TT and casting with your new G. If you like it you will know that the OPT is 1/2 way between it and a SA Trout. Also, I forget the exact name, but besides the TT, Wulff also makes a TT Pro, or a TT Plus, and it is a 1/2 size heavy, so you could really start to dial in what you want. You could could have two lines. The SA and then one of the other three for your close in dry fly work if you didn't think that was giving you the presentation that you wanted. A buddy of mine has the SA and then also the Airflow (elite I think) for his in close work.

I always think using a WF line in close is a little like throwing bomb at the target and then letting the leader unfold at the last minute. I'm probably needlessly splitting hairs at that point.
This is very helpful. Thank you for your time. You are correct that I am nervous about getting the Orvis Pro and not liking it. I have never used anything that unique (taper design).

I also would have to spend money on a second spool if I have a close line and a distance line. with my Radian, I have just used Rio Gold for everything. I have InTouch perception on a 4wt Sage that I built from blanks because it’s a fast action rod.
I also have a Gatti rod that I built from blanks with 4 wt gold and a 3 wt cabelas combo that doesn’t get out much. My son uses my old Echo base with my old airflo line and my wife has my original set up from 25 years ago. I don’t remember what line is on that one. I also have a one piece hardy 8’10” long with a nautilus reel. My fishing buddy jokes that we have to take a trailer with us when we take that one.

Too many rods and reels? I think I have a problem.

proheli

Reaction score
This is very helpful. Thank you for your time. You are correct that I am nervous about getting the Orvis Pro and not liking it. I have never used anything that unique (taper design).

I also would have to spend money on a second spool if I have a close line and a distance line. with my Radian, I have just used Rio Gold for everything. I have InTouch perception on a 4wt Sage that I built from blanks because it’s a fast action rod.
I also have a Gatti rod that I built from blanks with 4 wt gold and a 3 wt cabelas combo that doesn’t get out much. My son uses my old Echo base with my old airflo line and my wife has my original set up from 25 years ago. I don’t remember what line is on that one. I also have a one piece hardy 8’10” long with a nautilus reel. My fishing buddy jokes that we have to take a trailer with us when we take that one.

Too many rods and reels? I think I have a problem.
Haha. I understand that. Well, you don't have to get another spool, unless you get really committed to a line. 1/2 the time I practice I grab a line that is not on a reel anyway, and I'm currently changing lines on a new 8wt every time I go fish. It might take 10 minutes but i don't really care. I want to dial it in with the right line for me. I think the thing about the OPT is that is is not a full TT, its got that wf bump, but you don't all of the sudden have problems turning over a fly just because there is a little distance.I might be losing 5 feet of distance with the OPT. I think if a guy is really throwing drys at the limit of his ability, 50-60ish? then the SA might be better for that. Other than that its a push as to what a guy might like. InTouchP is 1/2 a size heavy I think. SA will be noticably lighter than that InTouch and OPT will feel a smidge lighter after that. You know, OPT kind of feels like that Gold you have, but the fly rolls out a little slower.

Pcpacker

Reaction score
Haha. I understand that. Well, you don't have to get another spool, unless you get really committed to a line. 1/2 the time I practice I grab a line that is not on a reel anyway, and I'm currently changing lines on a new 8wt every time I go fish. It might take 10 minutes but i don't really care. I want to dial it in with the right line for me. I think the thing about the OPT is that is is not a full TT, its got that wf bump, but you don't all of the sudden have problems turning over a fly just because there is a little distance.I might be losing 5 feet of distance with the OPT. I think if a guy is really throwing drys at the limit of his ability, 50-60ish? then the SA might be better for that. Other than that its a push as to what a guy might like. InTouchP is 1/2 a size heavy I think. SA will be noticably lighter than that InTouch and OPT will feel a smidge lighter after that. You know, OPT kind of feels like that Gold you have, but the fly rolls out a little slower.
Just ordered the textured Orvis pro. I’ll report back!

silver creek

Reaction score
I've tried textured lines and I don't care for them.

The one's I have tried have 3 faults and only I advantage. The advantage is distance but hwo often is that important?

The disadvantages are;

1. More abrasive on your fingers.

2. Noise

3. Is for me the worst disadvantage. They are harder to clean because they collect dirt in the low points of the texture. They are harder to keep clean.

Maybe the newer ones have improved.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have good news for you, OP. You have IT Gold for your Radian, which is the right line for it. Well, try it on your new SKY-G as it is the correct line for it as well. I've tried three different lines including the SA Trout on my -G and Gold is the one in my opinion. It is not clear to me that embossing a texture on a line gives you more distance, SA says it does. The only positive I've found in them is they seem to pick up off the water a tad more easily...the down side is unnatural noise and poor tactility. Once we tried a saltwater version for one day. It can really hurt your hand with a strong fish on and our guide "demanded" we switch it out to a smooth line..."Dem bonefish hate dat noise, Mon!"