So you want.....

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Jim: That was a great read by Todd Tanner! A lot of the points we discuss here on the forum on a pretty regular basis, but so eloquently put.

diamond rush

Reaction score
Nice article. My dad taught me that the best way to fly fish is: When you reach a promising pool, stop and smoke a cigar while watching the water. When you have finished the cigar, you should have seen and learned enough to fish that pool. It seems that he shares a similar mentality to the author of that article.

dragon11

Reaction score
Reading the article pointed out a lot of issues I need to work on. One of which, and I've realized it for a long time, is that I'm to impatient. I feel rushed to get into the water and start fishing. This was another reminder I need to take my time and take it all in. Thanks for posting!

keiths

Reaction score
"S — “S” stands for stop sign. Flashing red light. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. You’ll notice I mentioned “undivided attention” up above. That, my friends, is hugely important. The best anglers possess a single-mindedness that approaches mindlessness. There are no extraneous thoughts. Nothing intrudes. There’s no job, there’s no spouse or kid or paramour. There’s no concern for the next college football game, or your next meal, or the fact that your boss doesn’t pay you enough, or that your car needs new brakes. My apologies, but if you can’t put all that other stuff aside and focus on your fishing with a singular intensity, then you will never be a great angler. Absolute attention and focus are prerequisites; anything less is a deal breaker."

Isn't this WHY we flyfish??

Rip Tide

Reaction score
"S — “S” stands for stop sign. Flashing red light. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. You’ll notice I mentioned “undivided attention” up above. That, my friends, is hugely important. The best anglers possess a single-mindedness that approaches mindlessness. There are no extraneous thoughts. Nothing intrudes. There’s no job, there’s no spouse or kid or paramour. There’s no concern for the next college football game, or your next meal, or the fact that your boss doesn’t pay you enough, or that your car needs new brakes. My apologies, but if you can’t put all that other stuff aside and focus on your fishing with a singular intensity, then you will never be a great angler. Absolute attention and focus are prerequisites; anything less is a deal breaker."

Isn't this WHY we flyfish??
My biggest (fly fishing:rolleyes:) problem is that I get distracted by what's around me
My father used to point it out when I was a kid ....
"You can't catch a fish if your fly's not in the water."
And one of my buddies still delights to call me on it today.
"You just missed another one !"
But I can turn right around and say "Did you see that woodchuck climbing a tree?"
It's all fine with me. I'm not just out there to catch as many fish as possible, I'm out there to enjoy my day

Bigfly

Reaction score
It's funny how we search for a fix for all.
I have honed my laser concentration as an "extreme athlete", for many years....
must have worked, cause I'm still here.....
Over time, I had to learn to slow down, and look around.
Now I sit before I fish, and no surprise, my fish stats have gone up.
Partly because I don't spook fish at my feet......and because I'll "see" what is going on and am in the loop.
I need to know now...where the fish is at and what he's eating before I cast....besides seeing cool critters having a nature moment. Which most of my clients love.......A snake eating a sculpin...
or a Red Tail hawk telling her fully feathered young to go catch their own meal.......that was yesterday.

Jim

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
That article had a ton of great information in it, one of my favorites was:

C — “C” stands for casting. It’s not enough to be a decent caster. You need to be excellent. So practice. Practice at home, or at the neighborhood park, or the local pond, or anywhere you can sneak in half an hour of casting on a regular basis. (A tip. You might want to find a place where you don’t need to worry about power lines, overhead limbs, aggressive dogs, alligators, snakes, quicksand or poison ivy.)

And don’t just practice the easy stuff. You need to do it all - reach casts, curve casts, puddle casts, double hauls, etc. Vary your distance, too. You want to be deadly from 15 feet out to 80 feet or so. You should be able to open your loop up or tighten it down, to throw casts under overhanging tree limbs, to huck bugs both big and small, to cast reasonably well with your off hand, to sling your flies into a stout wind, to feel your rod load regardless of how much line you have out … and that means hours and hours of practice. My advice is actually pretty simple. Play around. See what works, and what doesn’t. On occasion, set your rod aside, grab your reel, strip off some line and cast with your hands. Over-line or under-line your various rods and see what happens. The better you get and the more comfortable you are with a fly rod, the higher your ultimate ceiling.

I liked his point on practicing more, but he gives great advice on HOW to practice, some great tips for sure.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
My favorite one was "E"
There's seems to be a lot of folks that just don't get that.
Here is the quote for ease of reading:

“E” is for equipment. Your rod should bend, you reel should turn, your line should float (if it’s a floating line) or sink (if it’s a sinking line). Find stuff you like, then buy it and use it. In spite of the fact that gear inspires a huge amount of magazine ink, not to mention a fair amount of angling-based envy, it’s relatively far down the list of what’s really important in taking that next big step.

I have to agree, it does seems like a lot of folks think buying that next great fly rod is going to be the end all in improving their fly fishing, but I guess we all get sucked into those slick advertisements we are bombarded with.

Bigfly

Reaction score
After you have taken the time to master each of these disciplines, all that's left is the last one on the list "L". And that comes easily........

It goes both ways Larry....
I also see people who are "under gunned" with an old entry level rod......
and stubbornly refuse to upgrade. Since that's Ok with me, I rig them up....
On bigger water out here, the sneaky creek sized rods don't cut it.
I usually wait for the right moment and then hand them the tool for the job.
Love seeing that light bulb go on......."wow, this is a lot easier".......:thmbup:

Jim

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree with that. The linked article I mean, probably with everything else too.

Ard

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

I have to agree, it does seems like a lot of folks think buying that next great fly rod is going to be the end all in improving their fly fishing, but I guess we all get sucked into those slick advertisements we are bombarded with.
I buy a few now Larry because I feel I paid my dues, that and I need to be able to demonstrate things sometimes and it's time I have 21st century stuff :)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I buy a few now Larry because I feel I paid my dues, that and I need to be able to demonstrate things sometimes and it's time I have 21st century stuff
Ard: I understand, you are in a different situation, just like Jim or any other guide. You and Jim could probably out cast most of your clients using an old broomstick. LOL!

huntschool

Reaction score
A great, simple information piece...... retrospective in a way for me. Each of those points got either hammered into me early on or I fumbled my way to them. Not that every time I am on the water I get them done.... LOL

My casting still leaves me disappointed that I cannot fix myself but that’s me. As to the fly tying, it also gets me but really, I appreciate the production of folks who are much better at it than I could ever be.

"E" equipment will likely always be in interesting segment of what it is we do for whatever reason we have..... I like good stuff but it took me a number of years of work to afford it. Fact is I still like some stuff that I did not pay a bunch for and still use it.

Good info put out in a good way.......

FlymanSJB

Reaction score
There is a lot of good advice in the article and I enjoyed it.

S- for me is Stealth not stop, on smaller rivers nothing will get you more hook ups than stealth.

You got the rod, the casting chops, you tie a pretty decent fly and know how to fish it, than why tromp up to the river like Sasquatch and start pounding the water?

See it all the time and one of my challenges as well. I am so excited to be out fishing I want it to happen fast much like modern life it's go go go and that doesn't relate to fishing for wary trout.

My next thing I need to work on is changing up my rigs for different parts of a river I too many times just fish one leader, or sink tip or fly, I know if I wasn't so lazy and excited to catch a fish I could do better.

I love gear, I do, fishing,hunting, guitar but just like a new Les Paul isn't going to turn you into Jimmy Page, a new rod or line can only enhance your skills and enable one to advance with lots and lots of time.

I've seen where the gear or GAS (Gear acquisition syndrome) has gotten in people's way in all of the above persuits.

I do have gas, especially in the off season. Must resist as long as I can.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I think a better choice of words for the title would be accomplished rather than "great"....but wouldn't have had the punch....
True enough, the greats embraced this check-list, but they also brought a gift too....
Most of us will not achieve greatness (reality check), but by dedicating ourselves, we can become very accomplished fishers....
And that works for me.....

"I am so excited to be out fishing I want it to happen fast much like modern life it's go go go and that doesn't relate to fishing for wary trout."

Unknown, you are not alone.
"S" is for sit....I learn far more watching, than fishing...very counter intuitive...
I fish just to prove/disprove what I think I learned while watching...

Jim

Last edited:

berg

Reaction score
Love articles like these. Love reading tips and tricks to continually improve, love that the learning and developing process never ends and there's always more you can do.