So you want.....

ralphs007

Reaction score
B — “B” stands for bank. Plop your butt down on the bank and spend a fair amount of your time looking at the water right in front of you.
I do check out the water I'm fishing,but there's no way I'm ever gonna just sit on the bank for Ten/30 minutes just looking at the stream,I'm just not wired for that kind of approach.Maybe I should do this,but I'm not going to.:heh:
P.S
I spend most of my fishing time on a very small trout stream.I't so small, it doesn't even have a bank to sit on,Lol.

Bigfly

Reaction score
In my experience....the less a stream is fished, the less game is needed to catch'em....or if a rivers trout population exceeds the number of fishers....
Here, if I use the same old flies, I'd swear there are no fish in the river...
Only when we approach pressured fish, does more technique matter.
Not all fish and waters are the same obviously....
The closer I come to matching the hatch, the more love I get.....and larger fish too. I don't match the hatch because it's popular, or cool (Although it is really cool)......nor do I tie/fish flies others use.....keep'em guessing......we have watched a fly go from super productive to ineffective a couple seasons of overfishing.....tell me fish don't learn, and you'll hear about Haddon's Dead drift cray....Tim wishes he hadn't submitted it to Umpqua...it was his "killer" fly...
If I fish it now.....big fish avoid it....
But I might hook a little guy...
So, I'm catching fish right?
And not to sow seeds of insecurity. ...but...maybe we could improve...and not fish passively, but seriously take the game to them!
Which is what this thread was about....

I have tried forcing the fish to eat what I feel like serving......"oh, I'll just fish a Royal Humpy or a bugger...(insert your fav here) ya, that'll do it......and it does...sometimes.
This is the "getting lucky" style of fishing. As a guide, I'm trying to make luck irrelevant....
It works better if I please them.....
Or, maybe I'll fish a style they don't see.
Anything,..... but fish like the other guy.
I've debriefed many hundreds of fishers......most fish the same....(not cool)...
That's the best reason to sit and watch......you may see yourself in them (I did..) and get inspired to try something new...........I'm looking for an advantage.....and can't get there if I'm fishing out of habit......in retrospect I feel like a majority of the fish I caught earlier in my career were probably accidental.....and I wasn't the "fish hero" that I thought....and it is time to get busy....
This is the main difference between recreational fishers and professional.
And actually, this may be the most important thing I've learned about fishing well....
No one says you have to get better at this sport...but, if you want to...sitting and watching is a good place to start....

Jim

Last edited:

High.and.Dry

Reaction score
Stand on the river bank for 30 minutes? Someone will take your spot and 2 others will end up on either side of the first guy within that amount of time on my local waters!

Bigfly

Reaction score
Perhaps different water would help you to sit.....I moved to find fish. Because fish don't move to find you.
By the way, I sit and let them fish, instead of fishing. Why? Because we all fish alike, and that isn't good.
Watch and learn how, NOT to fish. Once you know how "they" fish, you can step outside the fisher profile.
Bet your stats improve.......who would have thought, not fishing, would lead to better performance.

Jim

Last edited: