Solitude

gc59

Reaction score
BBEEBFE9-A92C-4CF8-9C15-A963D509621F.JPG Found this in my archives, it may turn into my favorite picture. That is me fly fishing for stripers just off the beach in Quincy, just to the north is the Boston skyline.

weiliwen

Reaction score
As I get older (I'm 60 now), I find that I crave solitude more and more. My favorite time is when I'm alone on the stream, with just the sound of wind, water, and birds to keep me company.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your picture is a sort of exemplification of the signature line I created for my posts here. I typed in those words shortly after registering when I figured out how to include a personal touch to each post. Over the years nothing about the sentiment of the words has changed and it really is up to each of us to make the best of whatever is at hand.

Nice post.

mtbusman

Reaction score
I like the contrast depicted in the photo. A lone angler juxtapositioned against the city in the background. Just says something. Good.

Some of my favorite memories are times spent in a boat with a friend, fishing and laughing our heads off. As fun as those times were, they did not feed my soul like fishing alone on a small stream in the autumn when the leaves change and begin to fall. Even the sun feels quieter that time of year. And evenings on a big river when I'm alone and hear only the water. There's a music a riffle makes that gives me peace and renewal. Solitude can be one of the greatest gifts fishing offers. I wouldn't be honest if I didn't add that I prefer my solitude on the water broken now and then by a fish. Still, I've left a stream without catching a fish and still felt buoyed by the strength of solitude.

weiliwen

Reaction score
"...buoyed by the strength of solitude..." I like that phrase.

Yesterday, I had a particularly bad day at work, caused by a change in boss to one who is trying to insinuate himself into and interfere with my day-to-day operations, to a point I've never experienced in 40 years of work. I left work early and after an appointment, was able to get out for about 45 minutes of fishing before sunset. I didn't catch anything, but the only things I heard while I was fishing was 1) a red wing blackbird calling for a girlfriend, 2) some geese in the corn stubble field a quarter mile away, and 3) a couple of sandhill cranes tootling in another field in the opposite direction. It calmed me down immediately.

Later on, during my drive home at dusk, I passed a field that had 5 cranes, a half dozen white tail deer, and a couple dozen turkeys, all in the same field! It was like a zoo.

Last edited: