something to go on/over my nailnot that i can seein very lowlight

alfaromeo

Reaction score
when i fish for shad goes into very lowlight..anthing i can slip over my nail knot, to i can see that location. so i dont get the nail knot into the guides.. shad are strong fighters, esp. when they get close to the net...i have no desire to rip the guides off my fly rod/s

fatbillybob

Reaction score
CA8F66FC-EE2B-4953-B487-DC918B44A568.jpegIt is a uv resin that retains a bit of flex you can coat the nail knot to smooth it out

trev

Reaction score
I've used PlioBond to smooth nail knots in that manner for forty years, but that just keeps the knot from hanging up in the guides. Others have recommended Shoe Goo, Zapagap, Aqualseal, nail polish, etc for the same usage, and I imagine they all work.
But for low light visibility we'd need to go farther, I think, and the most obvious thing that pops into my mind is glow in the dark nail polish, I might first use Pliobond or KnotSense to smooth out the knot profile, then when that is cured apply a luminescent nail polish. I wonder now why I haven't tried this for night fishing before. It would make tracking the float/drift easier too, I believe.

bumble54

Reaction score
Someone sent me some Stonfo silicone knot covers, three sizes, clear and yellow, (I'm sorry I forget who it was now ). They float, are streamlined and pass through the tip ring without snagging. They are not available in the UK, as far as my searches went, but they are available in Italy..This is what they look like if it is of any help1620638417353.png

thomasw

Reaction score
Why not just use a needle nail knot, as it is the smoothest leader to flyline transition? I've never had mine snag in the guides... you could then put a glow in the dark seal if required -- i know it is available at my local fly shop for using as a sighter. ymmv, as i have not tried it.

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
when i fish for shad goes into very lowlight..anthing i can slip over my nail knot, to i can see that location. so i dont get the nail knot into the guides.. shad are strong fighters, esp. when they get close to the net...i have no desire to rip the guides off my fly rod/s
There is a way to minimize/eliminate that issue. Lefty Kreh published it in his book "Lefty's Little Tips." Knots are a problem when they run OVER the EDGE of the guides. Knots are "not" a problem when they run along the rod blank BETWEEN the guide edges.

Turn the rod UPSIDE DOWN so the knot comes into the rod traveling along the rod blank instead of from guide to guide. It also avoids the knot catching on the tip top guide because the knot does NOT run OVER the ring of the guide but rather over the end of the rod tip.

Combine the technique below with a knot coating as others have discussed.

LOC

Reaction score
I would just shorten my leader.
I don’t recall those fish being too picky about leader length.

At least you’re having a fun problem! 😀

Last edited:

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Whenever I land a fish, I reach out with my net in one hand and my rod hand goes back up behind my head and back rod upside down, it's just instinct and habit.

osseous

Reaction score
The euro crowd uses flourescent wax to enhance visibility of the leader- check with a euro specialty shop like Devin Olsen's

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I fish the salt at night a lot so I tie my leaders at 8 ft. That way you don't ever have to give it a thought.

But long before I'd ever heard of having "sighters" on leaders, I'd paint my blood knots with luminescent fabric paint.

weiliwen

Reaction score
Maybe it's the same thing as Osseus mentioned, but you can get a fluorescent nymph indicator that is applied like a roll of chapstick to the line. I imagine you could put it onto the knot easily enough.

asdf

Reaction score
Heat shrink around the line as a tactile marker for your stripping finger that your leader is about to enter the rod tip.

LePetomane

Reaction score
I use the needle nail knot and then put a tiny drop of UV Knot Sense where the leader exits the fly line. That eliminates the step-off between the line and the leader. It works well for me.