South Holston Retribution

zoomie

Reaction score
Morning everyone. I fished S Holston last Thursday Below the bridge and flat peed the bed. I couldn’t buy a bite in spite of seeing no less 5-600 fish. Had occasional sulphers coming off all day. I ran wet dry rigs, a variety of Sulphur patterns, midges, nymphs, and even anything in olive. 6x tippet. Kept patterns in the 16-22 range. I am stupefied.

Since I’m local, I’ll run up to the fly shop and buy some advice tomorrow for Friday’s fishing. In the mean time, if anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears. Feel free to PM me if you like.

I know the S Holston is fishing tough right now but I always manage to eek out at least one or two on rough days. The only guys flat killing it have been the minnow bucket brigade.

thanks in advance!

zoomie

Reaction score
I know nothing about the South Houston but have you tried terrestrials?
no. And it’s interesting that you bring this up. I was going through notes from last trip this time of year and couldn’t make anything happen until I tied on a humble black ant pattern at the end of the day. 4 trout in 40 minutes.
Sadly, I left that box at home last Thursday.

flytie09

Reaction score
I was there a week or so ago mid afternoon and had good success. I saw very few risers and no Sulphurs coming off.

A few tips that work for me this time of year:
- long leaders (10+ ft) and light tippets (6x)
- use small white indicators (foam football or thingy bobbers)
- use size 16-18 split case sulphurs, Sulphur soft hackles, pheasant tails and zebra midges
- dont use beaded flies
- don’t use excessive weight
- when hot and sunny..... fish where there is turbulence and well oxygenated water.... look for riffles. Don’t be afraid to fish shallow water. Look for heads of runs.
- the slack / froggy water i stay away from. These fish see tremendous pressure and can instantly detect your presence in these areas.

Read through some of my previous posts on the Soho.

I floundered my first couple of years fishing the Soho...... so be persistent, make observations, watch and ask others in the know there and stop in at Soho fly shop.

zoomie

Reaction score
I was there a week or so ago mid afternoon and had good success. I saw very few risers and no Sulphurs coming off.

- use size 16-18 split case sulphurs, Sulphur soft hackles, pheasant tails and zebra midges
- dont use beaded flies
- when hot and sunny..... fish where there is turbulence and well oxygenated water.... look for riffles. Don’t be afraid to fish shallow water. Look for heads of runs.
- the slack / froggy water i stay away from. These fish see tremendous pressure and can instantly detect your presence in these areas.

I floundered my first couple of years fishing the Soho...... so be persistent, make observations, watch and ask others in the know there and stop in at Soho fly shop.
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much for taking the time. I’ll go read your previous reports. I’ll also report back!

flytie09

Reaction score
Guys have luck along certain stretches with beetles and ants..... but I rarely use them. I might toss a hopper if a fish is being picky.

Other patterns to keep in mind are black fly larvae, crane flies and scuds. I don’t see many caddis hatches.

Catskills style dry flies, attractors and overly flashy or gaudy patterns will be refused.

These fish key in on what’s present in the water and have a lot of time to inspect your fly and presentation. It must match size and color most importantly.

And as you progress down river.....ones approach will change slightly. It gets more froggy, deeper and warmer as you progress to the lake.

Last edited:

VaFisherman

Reaction score

- dont use beaded flies

Good advise here. I will re-enforce the long leader comment. I typically run 12 to 15 feet of total leader which includes 36" to 48" of 6x tippet, and have used as much as 60", with the longer length on the flatter water. In addition to the flies mentioned above I would suggest having zebra midges in #20 Black body with a 1/16th copper bead and copper wire, and #20 Cream zebra midges with 1/16th or 2mm silver bead and silver wire. I like brass beads vs tungsten because the low water on the SOHO at this time needs the flies to run less deep now.