South Platte near Fairplay/Garo CO?

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been looking at a place near Fairplay/Garo and was wondering how that section of the South Platte is from a fishing standpoint? My guess is if it's anything like other sections it's probably pretty good but being from Maine I don't really have much information. I'm not looking for spots to fish or anything I'm more so just wondering basic info about the river in that area since I'm considering purchasing.

Thanks!

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I'll try and be as basic as I can. I grew up not too far from that area, and I'd have to say it's beautiful county. The river as you probably know, is home to The Dream Stream, which holds fish up into the teens, and it's not unheard of someone hooking into a 20 pounder.

You have a few creeks in that area too, the South Fork of the South Platte, and Trout Creek. The South Fork runs into Antero Res., then joins up with the river north of Spinney Mountain Res. and then flows into Eleven Mile Res.

Then you have the Charlie Meyers State Wildlife Area, which is a public catch and release tailwater, and the fish can get big. . . BIG! There's just all kinds of trout, and there's even pike in Eleven Mile and Spinney. It's truly a fisherman's paradise, if you can handle when the crowds come in to fish the Dream Stream.

Basically, it's a quiet area, open spaces, scenic, plenty of wildlife to see and some excellent ice fishing if you're into that. If I had to relocate, I could see myself living in that area.

I hope that was basic enough.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
As Scotty said, lots of good to great fishing within a short drive of that area. And as he alluded to, even though the local population is very sparse the best fishing areas are far from a secret (expect combat fishing on the Dream during certain times of year...and don’t ever expect the river to yourself). With that said the Dream isn’t the only good water nearby. In addition to a couple great stillwaters, the Arkansas River is under an hour and has 60-90 miles of very fishable water. Salida/Buena Vista offer much more in the way of dining and other activities than FairPlay if that’s important.

osseous

Reaction score
I'm originally from NH. Grew up fishing all over New England. The bounty of the Colorado high country will likely impress you. From Fairplay you can find quality fishing in every direction. The one thing I would say is to consider the altitude and weather if you are gonna buy in that area. 10,000' is no joke. Snow from sept to may. And violent storms are a regular occurance. 60 mph wind and snow is commonplace in South Park. Massive thunderstorms and frequent hail. I well remember New England weather- I would say that the fairplay area is on another level.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Matt4.0

Reaction score
I'm originally from NH. Grew up fishing all over New England. The bounty of the Colorado high country will likely impress you. From Fairplay you can find quality fishing in every direction. The one thing I would say is to consider the altitude and weather if you are gonna buy in that area. 10,000' is no joke. Snow from sept to may. And violent storms are a regular occurance. 60 mph wind and snow is commonplace in South Park. Massive thunderstorms and frequent hail. I well remember New England weather- I would say that the fairplay area is on another level.

He’s not exaggerating.

okaloosa

Reaction score

you forgot to mention the mosquitoes along the middle fork :eek:

ramjet

Reaction score
Don't live in CO anymore, but I've spent a fair amount of time fishing in the area over the years and still own land near Fairplay. Agree with what's been said so far, I would add:

--there are some places you can pay to fish for the day. I have never done that, but if you want to, but it's there and may provide some privacy.
--No idea of your age, physical condition, or your intended use... I DO know a guy from the midwest who built a place in the area for his little bit of fishing heaven. He didn't really enjoy it and he and his wife often had problems with the altitude. They'd spend the first 3 or 4 days laying around, then started to spend a night or two in Denver before going up. They sold it after a couple years. Some don't notice it as much. Altitude effects will subside, but it takes time. Flying in from sea level to Denver, renting a car, and zipping up there for a 3 day weekend is different from spending the whole summer up there. Not trying to dissuade you, just to mention consider how you'd plan to use your place.
--It can get a little windy in the afternoons at times and that may be different from what you're used to.

hope that helps..

ramjet

Reaction score
Will also send a PM, but in general: I seem to have better luck with terrestrials and attractors in alpine lakes vs the "match the hatch" drill that I am more familiar with.

osseous

Reaction score
you forgot to mention the mosquitoes along the middle fork :eek:
Colorado mosquitos got nothing on NH's heathens. You haven't been torn up proper until you've fished during black fly season in the north country!

okaloosa

Reaction score
Colorado mosquitos got nothing on NH's heathens. You haven't been torn up proper until you've fished during black fly season in the north country!

I definitely agree that our mosquitoes are not as aggressive biters but the sheer numbers of them at times in the meadows around the south platte in south park during "monsoon season" is mind boggling.

scotty macfly

Reaction score

That's no joke.

okaloosa

Reaction score

osseous

Reaction score
I got zapped last year at Spinney-

osseous

Reaction score
actual lightning strike?
We were surrounded by strikes- I got zapped when I picked up my rods to run for the truck. Went numb from my elbow to end of my middle finger (!). Lasted about 3 hrs before feeling came back.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
We were surrounded by strikes- I got zapped when I picked up my rods to run for the truck. Went numb from my elbow to end of my middle finger (!). Lasted about 3 hrs before feeling came back.

Woah, that's wild.

justahack

Reaction score
I’ve worked April-August for most of the past 20 years just east of Garo. Plenty of fishing variety in the area. Main-stem rivers and reservoirs, smaller tribs and ponds, and the alpine. I’ll add that undeveloped parcels near Garo and elsewhere on the park bottom are off-grid, dry, and very windy almost always. Shelter trees don’t take and it can be a ways down to the water table. Housing is easier in the forests around the edges and on the ridges and hills that rise from the grasslands, but still not easy - Osseus’ post is on point. Health care services are also sparse. The nearest hospital is in Breckenridge. One of the reasons Park County was closed to visitors this spring. All that said, it’s a beautiful part of the world.