Southwest MT - Anyone have a finger on the pulse?

MrMogollon

Reaction score
Howdy - new to the forum!

I'll be in Southwest Montana in the middle of August (repeating a last-minute trip from the COVID summer that was super rad). I stayed in Ennis / floated the Madison, floated the Yellowstone outside Livingston and stayed in Craiglandia for two days on the Mo. An epic week and one I'd like to repeat, if possible!

That being said, I heard some rumblings that the Madison isn't fishing very well currently. I'm hoping that is not true, because the Gravel Bar is calling my name! I was wondering if anyone in the area has first hand info to prove/disprove what I've heard. Obviously we're still a ways out from my trip, but wanted to start the conversation.

If y'all are having tough days on the Madison, I may make an itinerary change. Please feel free to PM me, if you'd like to discuss under separate cover but otherwise look forward to chatting!

Tight lines!

-MM

heero

Reaction score
The rivers are extremely low and already warming. Hatches are starting weeks ahead of usual. Flows right now are at usual mid July levels. By August, the water will be low with rivers bare bones. There will be Hoot Owl regs (can’t fish after 2pm due to warm water). The skies will be filled with smoke from forest fires, guaranteed.

Sorry. That the reality of this summer due to a dry and mild winter.

jimbaker488

Reaction score
Howdy - new to the forum!

I'll be in Southwest Montana in the middle of August (repeating a last-minute trip from the COVID summer that was super rad). I stayed in Ennis / floated the Madison, floated the Yellowstone outside Livingston and stayed in Craiglandia for two days on the Mo. An epic week and one I'd like to repeat, if possible!

That being said, I heard some rumblings that the Madison isn't fishing very well currently. I'm hoping that is not true, because the Gravel Bar is calling my name! I was wondering if anyone in the area has first hand info to prove/disprove what I've heard. Obviously we're still a ways out from my trip, but wanted to start the conversation.

If y'all are having tough days on the Madison, I may make an itinerary change. Please feel free to PM me, if you'd like to discuss under separate cover but otherwise look forward to chatting!

Tight lines!

-MM
Hey man you say you were up in Craig fishing the Missouri last year ? Good experience, got a guide up that way you'd care to recommend ?

LePetomane

Reaction score
I was through there last week. Rivers and reservoirs are down and temps are up. It's drier than a popcorn fart.