Spawning Spey

flytie09

Reaction score
Spawning Spey

Trey Combs in his classic Steelhead Fly Fishing (1991) dedicates a chapter to the legendary Dave McNeese. The originator of this pattern.

Dave-McNeese-2018.jpg

Fly shop owner, innovative fly tyer, reel maker, hook designer, author.....he even raised his own jungle cock. The man has done it all.

Trey shares a great story of fishing with Dave Mcneese on the North Umpqua in Oregon. After spotting several steelhead holding in a slot along the opposite bank......Dave sets up from the opposite cliff 120 feet away some 30' above the river. His double haul timing the passing cars behind them. Trey was in disbelief and insisted they move along to the Steamboat section where mere mortals fish.

spawning spey.jpg

Tag - Large flat silver tinsel
Body 1/6 red floss, 1/6 orange floss, 2/3 fluorescent orange angora dub
Rib - Medium silver oval tinsel
Hackle - Fluorescent orange burnt goose shoulder starting at dubbing
Throat - Purple dyed teal flank
Wing: 4 purple saddle hackle tips
Topping - Purple GP crest
Cheeks - JC
Head - Red thread with Loon UV cure

I just noticed today for the first time that it is a dedicated copy from Trey to a Bruce Clingan in honor of his retirement. Cool stuff.

Last edited:

dillon

Reaction score
"Spawning Purple - FAOL"

Interesting! I’ve had dinner with Mr. McNeese and watched him tie a hairwing Spey, which he then gifted to me. John Schewey, gifted Tyer, and author, was mentored by Dave and claims his own Spawning Purple was his confidence fly. I’ve also met him and his uncles Deschutes home was two doors down from mine. Interesting, because slight variations in a pattern, lay claim to a new one. I’ve tied and fished the spawning purple several times with no cause to claim confidence in it. A pretty fly though...

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice Mike, what are you doing to get the transparent head look? Finishing with silk maybe? That's how I discovered it but until you tell I won't know how you did that.

flytie09

Reaction score
Nice Mike, what are you doing to get the transparent head look? Finishing with silk maybe? That's how I discovered it but until you tell I won't know how you did that.
It's not by design Ard. The head is honestly too big. I tied it while on a conference call this afternoon and it got away from me. Too much superglue and Loon UV goo to cover up some mistakes I guess with some weird reflections from my desk lamps created the translucent illusion. :boom:

I was leafing through Trey's book some more and I came to the Walt Johnson section.....he too wrote a dedication to Bruce near his picture. Put a smile on my face. I guess I'll have to read it now.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I developed a habit of tying off my black thread once all components were secured then switching to crimson or whatever color silk to build the heads. For really fancy looks you lay a base of white tying thread then top with the silk. When you apply head cement with a lacquer base the silk becomes translucent / transparent. Makes a cool head.

duker

Reaction score
Love that colour combination. Great work as usual.

Just FYI, Flyfishing & Tying Magazine has been carrying a series of articles by McNeese on dyeing steelhead colours--last issue was purple, this month's is hot orange. His attention to detail is sure reflected in his flies.

Scott