Speaking of the West Branch...

Goodbye Liz

Reaction score
To piggy back off of Davitticus's post on the West branch a bit I was seeking some opinions on the area as well. I have the last week of May off in a few weeks and I plan on spending the majority of it fishing. Most of the week I'll be staying on waters close to home for day trips (mid-hudson valley), but I was looking to possibly spend a couple days away as well. I looked into a few places in Livingston Manor and my thinking was to have the West/East branch, Beaverkill, and Willowemoc ( maybe even Pepacton Resevior ). Lot of water available to explore, does the area live up to all the hype? Open to any other thoughts for diy ideas within a 4 hr haul. Cheers
Mike

s fontinalis

Reaction score
Great wild trout up that way. I've floated the west branch on a guided trip (Delaware River Club) and also did some wade fishing on a separate trip.
Good fishing both times. I know a lot of folks fish the Beaverkill and Willowemoc too. Stop by Dette Flies in Livingston Manor and get the inside scoop.

I'm planning a west branch trip for June.

flybri2

Reaction score
"Lot of water available to explore, does the area live up to all the hype?"

I'm not sure what Hype your looking for. I can say the whole Roscoe area is an interesting place that clearly embraces trout fishing. If you go to town during the day, you'll see people walking thru town with waders on. There's plenty of different types of water to fish while wading or floating. You can focus on large wild trout or stockies. Large rivers (Delaware main stem, West Branch & lower East Branch), medium size rivers (upper East Branch, Beaverkill & Willowemoc), and small feeder creeks. There are fly fishing only areas and areas open to all types of fishing. IMO there's no place like it in the Eastern US.

Goodbye Liz

Reaction score
"Lot of water available to explore, does the area live up to all the hype?"

I'm not sure what Hype your looking for. I can say the whole Roscoe area is an interesting place that clearly embraces trout fishing. If you go to town during the day, you'll see people walking thru town with waders on. There's plenty of different types of water to fish while wading or floating. You can focus on large wild trout or stockies. Large rivers (Delaware main stem, West Branch & lower East Branch), medium size rivers (upper East Branch, Beaverkill & Willowemoc), and small feeder creeks. There are fly fishing only areas and areas open to all types of fishing. IMO there's no place like it in the Eastern US.
By hype I'm just referring to the idea of the area being ”trout town USA", at least in the articles that I've read. I've been to a lot of water in my area over the past year for trout with most of it being stocked fish that get wiped out pretty quickly. Closest wild to me is the Esopus which I've had the most luck on (shout out to my first trout of the season and PB brown from there this evening!) Just wanted another area with a healthy population to check out for a couple of days, all diy wading. Found some nice air bnb places in that area for a good price. Probably take a Monday-Tuesday stints hoping that it may be a little quiet. Thanks and Cheers

flybri2

Reaction score
Weekday is definitely the best idea. Weekends are crowded. Do a search for NYS public fishing interactive map and you'll see all the public access and parking areas. IMO the mainstem is the toughest to wade fish due to it's size. Upper East Branch is wadable but has limited public access. West Branch is a little larger than the East, and has more public access. No stocking in the mainstem or the West Branch. East Branch has some stocking but still has many big wild fish. All 3 of these rivers will also have boats floating. Wade only rivers are Beaverkill and Willowemoc. Both have stocked and wild fish. I fish these 2 the least so I don't have much info.
I would suggest spending at least a couple hours on one of the Delaware's. Big water with big wild fish. You will come to understand some of the comments S&S makes on here. Large Wiley fish on big water require long accurate casts and good mending skills to get the takes. 50+ foot casts are actually the norm. especially when wading.
The Delaware's are a different experience from most on the east coast. I suggest you temper your expectations. A 10 fish day on dries is a career day, and getting skunked is very likely. The bonus is a good portion (30%-50%) of those 10 fish will be 17"-20" wild fish. I love fishing up there.

Walter1023

Reaction score
I second what flybri2 says. That whole watershed is unique and awesome to the east coast. The dry fly targets on the Upper Delaware can be the most finicky and picky trout you probably ever cast to - and when you hook into one (whether Brown or Bow) you'll also get a fight that no stocked trout has ever given you. Your presentation is everything.

Goodbye Liz

Reaction score
Thanks guys, heading out there next week for sure. Anyone have experience with any of the cheaper motels/hotels in the area? Just looking for a clean place to shower and crash a couple of nights, I'll be driving around to everything so no need to be right on the water. I was checking into a few airbnb's but all the fees they add on mount up.

flybri2

Reaction score
I know of motels in Hancock, Deposit, Roscoe and Livingston Manor but never stayed in one. I would just do a google search.

Goodbye Liz

Reaction score
Just curious. The owner's also own a fly shop in Syracuse. Good luck on your trip.
That makes sense now, I was going to check there to stay but I was confused when the website mentioned Syracuse. Thanks and thanks for your post that gave me the inspiration to head down that way : ) cheers.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
That makes sense now, I was going to check there to stay but I was confused when the website mentioned Syracuse. Thanks and thanks for your post that gave me the inspiration to head down that way : ) cheers.
The owner's are 2 Brothers, Dave and Rick. They purchased the property in Deposit a few years ago. They have fished the area for a long time even though they live in Syracuse. Both the Syracuse and Deposit locations are named Troutfitters. The rooms in Deposit are pretty cheap. We are staying there Father's Day weekend to go kayaking and hopefully a bit of fishing.

Walter1023

Reaction score
I've stayed out Troutfitters about 6 times. Once so far this year.....right on the Upper West Delaware - as stated rooms are clean and fairly priced.

Goodbye Liz

Reaction score
Wrapped up the trip today. It was a great time. I passed by Troutfitters a few times on my way to fish. I ended up at the Deposit Motel. Little dated, but the room was clean and the old timer Pete that runs it was very nice. Very unique water compared to what I'm used to in the Hudson Valley. VERY challenging fishing, I had 3 browns from different spots on the East Branch on the way down. Then got skunked the next day and a half on the West Branch, brookie hunting, and again back on the East Branch. Still a fun time and amazing area. Got a rainbow on my way back home on the Esopus, so technically only one full skunk day lol. Thanks to everyone for the input, looking forward to heading back in the fall. Cheers