Spearfish Creek Success - Black Hills of SD

BigSky

Reaction score
We went camping in the Black Hills over Memorial Day weekend. I spent about five or six hours each of two days fly fishing Spearfish Creek. At times it's tough finding the fish; but, when you do, it's fun. I, like anybody else, enjoy catching big fish. I guess I've caught my share. However, I don't think I get much more enjoyment out of fly fishing than I do while catching a couple of dozen or so of these over a couple of hours. The first day I caught 12 or so over about five hours and the second day I think I caught about two dozen, like these, over about 6 hours. Most of the fish, each day, were caught over about a two hour window. What a blast.

Last edited:

the norseman

Reaction score
Thank you for visiting the The Black Hills. Congratulations
on catching those Browns.

Just wanted you to know right here in Rapid City is Rapid Creek,
what I call “A Creek Runs Through It”. It has Brown Trout and
sometimes you catch Rainbow Trout, so if you ever come back
this way you can Fly Fish right here in town also.

Thank you for for Sharing your Adventure and taking the time to
photo your catch and posting.

BigSky

Reaction score
I was born in Rapid City and head back to the Black Hills at least twice a year. Rapid Creek is definitely a "hidden" gem. It's a great area.

2bornot2b

Reaction score
Don’t overlook Spring Creek below the dam. I also like Rapid Creek in town and above the dam.

pickadrake

Reaction score
Just returned from a long Memorial weekend in the Hills las week. It's been 30 years since my last visit. The area had received rain the week prior and the first night we arrived, so a lot of waters were muddy which was too bad. We enjoyed good fishing and sight seeing, but the downside was the number of ATV/UTV's.......WOW! Hope to get back out there on an annual basis.

rmorrison

Reaction score
Yeah the off road scene is getting really bad here. The Forest Service has done their best but many ignore the rules and it’s an enforcement nightmare. I’d also say let’s keep the fishing recs to PMs. The massive influx of out of staters moving in here has massively frothed the real estate market and I am concerned about the fishing pressure that this area is not well equipped to deal with. I’m just getting a little twitchy about all of this.