Spearfish, SD guide recommendations

the norseman

Reaction score
The only Guides I know are the ones at Dakota
Angler & Outfitter, Rapid City, South Dakota.

Rapid City is about 45 minutes East of Spearfish.

Give them a call, ask for Dave or Hans (the Owner)
and see what they can do for you, that’s their
business; Fly Fishing.

The best to you and your endeavors.

Last edited:

the norseman

Reaction score
I just want to mention and of course I don't know your travel arrangements,
but getting a Car Rental here is tough right now.

If you can't get a Car Rental at the Airport try; Casey's Auto Rental Service, on 5th Street,
in Rapid City, SD.

You will have to call them and ask what is available. I believe they don't want you to
book on their website, because of demand.

Oh yeah, and don't for get, we have "A creek Runs Through It" right here in Rapid City
that has Brown Trout to Fly Fish.

With the easy access I like to Fly Fish on the West Side, but I have caught Trout all
long Rapid Creek, East Side too.

Silver City is a drive, with Trail Head for Walking, Bicycles, and Horses riding. Beautiful
quiet secluded twisty, turnery Trout stream, my second go to place, but it is quite a drive.

The Best to you.
DSC00300.JPG

2bornot2b

Reaction score
Rapid creek in town can be very productive, Spring Creek just below the dam is also good if there enough water topping the dam.

jasonb53

Reaction score
I just want to mention and of course I don't know your travel arrangements,
but getting a Car Rental here is tough right now.

If you can't get a Car Rental at the Airport try; Casey's Auto Rental Service, on 5th Street,
in Rapid City, SD.

You will have to call them and ask what is available. I believe they don't want you to
book on their website, because of demand.

Oh yeah, and don't for get, we have "A creek Runs Through It" right here in Rapid City
that has Brown Trout to Fly Fish.

With the easy access I like to Fly Fish on the West Side, but I have caught Trout all
long Rapid Creek, East Side too.

Silver City is a drive, with Trail Head for Walking, Bicycles, and Horses riding. Beautiful
quiet secluded twisty, turnery Trout stream, my second go to place, but it is quite a drive.

The Best to you.
View attachment 38810

We did book with Black Hills car rental so hopefully we are good. We actually fly in late on a Thursday eve. (and still have to book a hotel for thursday night) and then pick up rental on Friday morning then the wife and I have all day Friday to fish or sight see before meeting friends in spearfish late friday eve.

is it predominately wade/bank fishing or is there float fishing from a boat size streams up there?

Thanks again

the norseman

Reaction score
It is predominately wade/bank Fly Fishing. Tree over hang and
open spots to false cast. No Drift Boats here like Montana.

I would say streams/creeks are 1 yard to 30 yards wide and
inches deep to some good size holes.

Sorry don’t know any good or bad Motels/Hotels. There are
recently built ones by exit 61 on Interstate 90.

The best to you.

the norseman

Reaction score
Oh yeah, for 20 years my go to Fly is the # 18 size Black Ant.
I get them from Big Y Fly Company, Hood River, Oregon, on
the Internet.

My favorite Fly Rod and what I feel most comfortable with is my
25 year old 1996 Scott STS 9’ 5wt 4pc.
WIN_20200831_15_40_29_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Caliborn

Reaction score
One thing to remember is no felt soled boots are allowed in the SD black hills. It's probably not a concern for you , but I'm getting back into fly fishing this year and had to upgrade my boots along with my waders. Please give us an after fishing report, I'd love to hear how it went.

a_vog99

Reaction score
We did book with Black Hills car rental so hopefully we are good. We actually fly in late on a Thursday eve. (and still have to book a hotel for thursday night) and then pick up rental on Friday morning then the wife and I have all day Friday to fish or sight see before meeting friends in spearfish late friday eve.

is it predominately wade/bank fishing or is there float fishing from a boat size streams up there?

Thanks again
float fishing on deerfield reservoir would probably be worth your time, if you are wanting to float fish. it is a "no wake" lake so its pretty quiet up there. its a bit of a drive up though.