Special Fly Rods

loomis303

Reaction score
Received my Hardy Ultralite X 906 last week - 4 days from UK to Australia - I was blown away with that delivery time.. (ex Sportsfish) Progressive action and just loves to shoot line. Not a rod for dries but for nymphing and fishing wets it will be awesome. Easier to cast than 690 Sage Method, timing doesn't have to be as spot on with the haul. Cant wait to use it!
How does this rod compare to the older Wraith?

southesk

Reaction score
That will help the aerial casting as you mentioned. Do you think it needs a half-weight-over line? Have you tried it with the SA Trout, or Rio Gold for instance?
That will help the aerial casting as you mentioned. Do you think it needs a half-weight-over line? Have you tried it with the SA Trout, or Rio Gold for instance?
No I haven't got a true to weight line for it. It may work OK with dries with a true to weight line but I bought it primarily as a lake/big river nymphing and wet fly tool. I am going to give it a test run next weekend so I will report back on my findings.

ruddyduck

Reaction score
While not a legendary rod, the Orvis Saltrodder will always hold a special place in my heart. Orvis was the only decent fly shop close to me back in the mid-90's, so I didn't have any options to try out other brands. I was getting really tired of casting 8wts in the salt that felt like limp noodles. If the wind was blowing more than 12 mph, I'd use my conventional gear and wouldn't even think about picking my fly rod up.

Then along came the Saltrodder. I guess it would have been considered medium to medium-fast by today's standards, but I think was labeled as fast at that time. Dave Hayward at Orvis Houston told me I just HAD to try it out, and I was blown away with that rod, especially in the wind. I fished it for years, and I still have it. It might be outdated now, but back then, it kept me fly fishing on the TX coast MANY more days than I was accustomed to, and I caught a ton of fish with it.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I am going to introduce a personal wrinkle into this thread. It is not, for me, the individual rod alone that I find so relevant but the man behind the rod, the taper designer, working of course in concrete with the materials and fabrication teams. Virtually all my favored rods ae built by designers I have the utmost respect for based on their body of creativity sometimes distilled into a specific rod or series. At one time or another, in some cases in an ongoing relationship, I have met and enjoy a dialog with each designer of note to me. So, it is not that I love a particular rod, but I also have insight and in common awareness into the design philosophy and intent of its creator. I will add that each of these men are remarkable casters and, I believe, without this skillset their vison of how a rod can execute great casts might well not exist.

burk48237

Reaction score
I am going to introduce a personal wrinkle into this thread. It is not, for me, the individual rod alone that I find so relevant but the man behind the rod, the taper designer, working of course in concrete with the materials and fabrication teams. Virtually all my favored rods ae built by designers I have the utmost respect for based on their body of creativity sometimes distilled into a specific rod or series. At one time or another, in some cases in an ongoing relationship, I have met and enjoy a dialog with each designer of note to me. So, it is not that I love a particular rod, but I also have insight and in common awareness into the design philosophy and intent of its creator. I will add that each of these men are remarkable casters and, I believe, without this skillset their vison of how a rod can execute great casts might well not exist.
Interesting, Howard Croston is an outstanding caster, as are the Rajeff boys. My Bamboo was built and designed by Tom Ciemega who worked at Paul Youngs shop in Detroit. Ted Williams gave him casting lessons and Tom was the most efortless caster I ever saw. I met Mel Krieger at the Detroit Fly show a few years back with Tom, and when Tom stepprd away Mel told me Tom Ciemiega was the best caster her ever saw. His Bamboo tapers certainly showed it.

srock

Reaction score
One other rod series and company that I consider special, perhaps mainly due to personal reasons, is the St. Croix Legend, ultra, and ultra elite rods. I still own 4 of the legend rods ranging from 4 to 10 wt. I used the bigger rods for steelheading and salmon fishing on Midwest rivers and these rods were tough, highly durable, and in general, of high quality worsmanship. I think the St. Croix legend rods are fast action, and similar to Sage RPL rods of the time. They are special because they were a very mid-priced high quality, and affordable rod when there were few of them. St. Croix was trying to produce good fly rods for the masses. Unfortunately, St Croix stopped producing the legend series a few years ago, mainly because I think they realized they were not able to keep up the quality at an affordable price with other rods coming on the market. Also, their bread and butter rods are spinning and bait casting rods that are probably some of the best US made rods you can buy today on the mass market. They simply could not do everything at the highest level and their top end fly rods lost out. St Croix rods are also one of the few major rod companies located in the Midwest, Park Falls, WI, which is close to where I own a cabin in the north woods. You can visit their factory and store and the customer service is great. We are unlikely to see the quality of these rods at the prices charged by St. Croix in the future.