Spey Rod & Reel Love

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
When I look at the shear number of images and discussions on the Rod Love thread out in General Discussions it's been a hit for many. Some of the nicest rods I've ever seen appear on that page. I think we can agree that while it may be difficult to get a decent photo image of a 6'6" to 9' single hand rod it's harder yet to show me your 13 to 17 foot beauty. WIth that in mind then handles, reels, interesting windings and trims as well as the ever popular on the water shots will be just fine.

To start the conversation / show and tell I'll go snoop through my images and post a few. There will be new stuff coming because I'm building (via purchases) a new outfit that should all be here in a week or so :)

Here's a 13 & 1/2 foot Sage One 8 weight with an Evoke reel by Sage balanced across the back while a trout is lifted before the goodbye

Next a Hardy Taupo on the carbon reel seat of a Hardy Swift Mk II rod, love the rod and now use a Swift 975 reel on it which means I need a new rod for the Taupo....... It never ends.

I'll stop at 3 rod reel combos, below a 1981 Hardy Salmon Fly Graphite my first 2 hand rod 13 foot 9 inches with my 4 1/4" Wide Spool and a trout.

SO I expect a slow start but as you may take or find images of rods and reels don't hesitate to show em off. I'm going to try to get every rod I own on the water this season and maybe take a beauty shot if I remember. 2 hand rods only, if I went to the stack to include the single hand rods the season won't be long enough for them.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
About time someone posted :) I'm out on the river tomorrow and so just might have some 14 foot Sage X - Spectrum Max images to stick here. A Sage X isn't exactly fancy but I'll do what I can to make one look good.

lonigan

Reaction score
Here's an oldie action shot, brown trout bend. Anglers Roost got me into 2 handed stuff, that stick had a lot of mojo in it. Suffered an untimely wind aided demise. good memories tho

quadesherwood

Reaction score
I'll add a picture (even though its not a super great one)

I just started 2 handed fishing two years ago when I moved to upstate NY and discovered the small cult of older fly swingers on the Salmon River. I took to it, hook line and sinker and have fell in love with spey casting and swinging flies.

Below is my first spey set up. It is a 12'6" 8 wt, 3 piece Sage XP that was handed down to me by my My river mentor, Craig (2nd picture). It has been a good stick so far!

Hitched to it is the Orvis Battenkill Spey V. First true salmon reel and has been great so far

Thanks for looking.

Quade

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ard

eastfly66

Reaction score
I'll add a picture (even though its not a super great one)

I just started 2 handed fishing two years ago when I moved to upstate NY and discovered the small cult of older fly swingers on the Salmon River. I took to it, hook line and sinker and have fell in love with spey casting and swinging flies.

Below is my first spey set up. It is a 12'6" 8 wt, 3 piece Sage XP that was handed down to me by my My river mentor, Craig (2nd picture). It has been a good stick so far!

Hitched to it is the Orvis Battenkill Spey V. First true salmon reel and has been great so far

Thanks for looking.

Quade

Im pretty sure I meet your buddy while fishing with Pat Miura a few years back. If it's the same guy he gave me a link to prescription sunglasses from England.

flytie09

Reaction score
You picked a good mentor quade. Craig lives on that river.

quadesherwood

Reaction score
He does. He's a good man and very knowledgeable. He and "Rocky" Rockwell taught me how to cast and brought me Into the fold of locals that reside at Malinda's spey shop.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
No salmon showing yesterday but I was able to debug my casting, haven't touched a rod since the end of October 2019. Got things in order quickly and caught some trout but never saw trace of any salmon which isn't shocking for May 14 here but any day now I think. I won't be back out until Monday now as I'll give them time to get to where I was at yesterday. Generally 4 days will see some fish moving. Kings are funny fish, they don't generally do a mad dash up a river like the other species do. They tend to lull around figuring out where they want to stay. Some of course know that they are headed all the way to headwater and those fish do move quickly.

Only rigged 2 rods, 14 foot Sage X and my 11 1/2 foot Swift.

That's the X rod with a size 7/8 Spectrum Max reel in what they call Squid Ink finish.

Just the hub and drag knob are an indigo anodized finish, frame black, spool silver. All in all a nice reel I think.

Swift rod with that Swift reel I got from a UK seller last year, super light pair those two.

I caught some trout but all on an AK Assassin on the Sage and none on the Willi Gunn looking fly here, looked good to me but I'm afraid the Assassin scoured the run and there were none left to try the Gunn fly.

High water limited the number of suitable trout runs I could work so next time maybe

huronfly

Reaction score
Had a moment to get a group shot, from left to right:
1. A.R.E. 14' #5/6 (home build) with Speyco Scandi - old single pawl - big water setup
2. Echo DH2 13' #7 with Cabela's WRX (lamson made) - all rounder
3. Echo Glass 12'9" #7 with Hardy Cascapedia - fun factor, all rounder
4. Cabelas Lsi 11' #7 with Orvis Battenkill V clicker - my go-to small-med river skagit stick
5. MHX 11' #7 (home build) with Redington Behemoth - fun small water stick(feels more like a 6)
6. A.R.E. 9'10" #4(SH rating, home build) with Martin Classic - bass/pike/trout spey rig

Going to be thinning out a tiny by the fall, making room for a 6 weight spey and another speyco :D

rods.jpg

Reactions: Ard

flav

Reaction score
Had a moment to get a group shot, from left to right:
1. A.R.E. 14' #5/6 (home build) with Speyco Scandi - old single pawl - big water setup
2. Echo DH2 13' #7 with Cabela's WRX (lamson made) - all rounder
3. Echo Glass 12'9" #7 with Hardy Cascapedia - fun factor, all rounder
4. Cabelas Lsi 11' #7 with Orvis Battenkill V clicker - my go-to small-med river skagit stick
5. MHX 11' #7 (home build) with Redington Behemoth - fun small water stick(feels more like a 6)
6. A.R.E. 9'10" #4(SH rating, home build) with Martin Classic - bass/pike/trout spey rig

Going to be thinning out a tiny by the fall, making room for a 6 weight spey and another speyco :D

View attachment 23003
Wish I'd bought one of those 4 weight ARE 9'10" blanks before Johnny passed. I've heard really good things about them.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't post any fish but I did catch some.

This is what I use this time of year and the trout actually grab them just like salmon.

I got a few trout but zero salmon. I've been waiting for 6 days now and will go back tomorrow. It may sound strange but I don't like catching trout on salmon flies. The hooks are too big and there's always the risk of accidentally killing a fish by bleeding it. That tube only has a size 4 Gamakatsu hook in it but even those are too large for trout. I use size 8 hooks for trout and steelhead but have had the #8 hooks bend out when hooking into salmon of 20 plus pounds.

Here's a look at the drive to the river;

I drive on a river to reach other rivers, this one is what I call the Big River, this time of year with run off they're all pretty big though. The look below will provide a better idea of what I mean by Big.

I have not measured from side to side but some places may be nearly a mile wide, it's a big river and pretty swift too. The reason for waiting 6 days before going back is that I saw absolutely no evidence of salmon last week. I even drifted down for a mile or so and saw no trace of any on the move. I have a better feel for tomorrow.

FlymanSJB

Reaction score
Steelhead opener on my home rivers is pretty exciting and it can be pretty treacherous at times, snow melt can raise river levels significantly and sometimes a river crossing at lunch time or dusk is pretty harrowing. The river is ice channels and sometimes cliffs there is definitely wading strategy for the spey caster covering lots of water. Opener is great because of all the wintered over fish and fresh fish coming up everyday.

Sage X 7110 and Speyco in the spring which is really winter steelhead by everyone else's standards.

Thats 5 to 6 feet of ice on the shores.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice images Steve, good to see a couple posts here. As you guys know we aren't exactly the strongest 2 hand fishing forum in the world but if we try I think we can attract more posts.

Thanks

FlymanSJB

Reaction score
Thanks Ard, You know its nice to keep in touch and have a nice space where we can enjoy the fly fishing we love and interact with like minded fishermen.

There is a lot of snow but that one picture is solid ice with the trees frozen in, it looks like superior agate, thing about my area is that its so cold, without spring fed rivers the rivers would freeze to the bottom, and some rivers really have poor natural reproduction because of that fact, even the large lakes will get 4 feet of ice or more over a winter. Same with the southern part the without spring water the driftless would be fishless, frozen solid.

The Echo 12` 9" 7wt the rod that started it all.

I always appreciate shelf ice, it also makes good lunch table and bar.

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
Great pics guys. I've pretty hemmed in here because of all of the pestilence about so I don't see any roads trips up to Salmon River, NY until maybe the fall. Definitiely no flying out west to fish for a while and that leaves finding a local spot as soon as access to some of the water opens up. Until then keep the pics coming so I can live vicariously, lol. Thanks.