Splitting Hairs

proheli

Reaction score
I’ve ordered a 4wt glass rod. While they come in 7’6 and 8’0, I am actually free to choose any length in between 7’6 and 8’0. Regardless of length, the tips and tapers are the same and the only difference is in the butt, which, like the rest of the rod, has the taper increasing ever so slightly as it moves from tip to butt. The 8’0 rod does feel different because you are manipulating the whole rod from a handle that is stiffer than on the 7’6. So you lose some touch and you gain a little swing weight, but you gain some power. And for me that is Needed power, I think. For my small/smaller water rod, I want something with a just a touch of all around capability. On small water I mostly use single dry, small dry dropper, 2 tandem flys, but once in a whlie, if I see the fish down there, I’d put on a small nymph rig. Hm, Actually 70% of what I do on a small river/creek is small dry dropper. So, I need more than a total glass softy that will only ever see a single dry.

I’ve had a 703/4 glass rod, surprisingly capable, but I am not a real bush breaker, and I avoid too much canopy, and I found myself always wanting something longer. Always. There is where 7’6 would be the absolute minimum, but I am sure I want even a little more length.

The last piece of the puzzle is this. I’ve got newer 8’6 3wt graphite rod and I had thought this just might handle all of my small water needs. Unfortunately - or not - it’s a little faster than I expected it to be. It actually throws perfect loops in close, and it is precise and kind of amazing, but also as you can guess, as graphite rod, there is still limited flex and feel. You are still just wrist flicking a long lever. I don’t mean to exaggerate, but just making the point there could be more bend and more enjoyment possible at the closer/mid-ish distances.

So, the rod is ordered but I have a couple of weeks to dial in the length. For my personal tastes, I’ve decided on between 7’9 and 8’0. I’m just a little worried that 8’0 might be getting into a non-small water feeling rod. I’ve got 4 choices, 7’9, 7’10’, 7’11, and 8’0. It’s a down locking reel seat and that would help offset tippy-ness of the 8’0, probably.

I know I’m splitting hairs, but if anyone wants to throw in their opinion, I’d like to hear it.

Gregg

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
What’s the question? You’re worried about 3” in a rod for small water? Most small water spots I know you don’t get much line out of your guides at all. 3” means little. If you flopping dry dropper or nymph rigs or dapping a fly through branches all day or bow and arrow casting…..I’d say go with the shorter rod. If you might be doing more casting dry flies to spots that are more open and require a smidge more length…… then the longer rod wins out.

There are no absolutes in this. We don’t know where you live, fish, ability….. etc to offer any type of real informed opinion. Easy for me to say….. I have over 25+ rods from 6.5’ to 13.5’ 3 Wt to 8 WT….. I can bring multiple ones or simply try harder with one Ive chosen for the day.

For bushwhacking and small streams that are tricky to navigate….. I opt for my shorter rods. That’s about as succinct and boiled down an answer as I can give.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
7'9 always feels good to me in moderate action rods. But so does 8'0. Who is building the rod? Might help to get a more concise, knowledgeable opinion.

proheli

Reaction score
7'9 always feels good to me in moderate action rods. But so does 8'0. Who is building the rod? Might help to get a more concise, knowledgeable opinion.
TMR. Matt’s helped me narrow it down. The order form says 7’10, but I’m willing to move it around to whatever seems best. I think the main thing to know about their rods and trying to think with the situation is that they are evenly progressive. No surprises, no hidden parabolic sections. Just even taper from the thinnest tip possible to whatever length you choose. At least that is the way I understand him.

flytie09

Reaction score
For that kind of scratch I’d ask Tom if I could visit his shop and test cast a couple dozen. I’m sure you could find a couple rivers in Bozeman to spend the rest of your time.

proheli

Reaction score
For that kind of scratch I’d ask Tom if I could visit his shop and test cast a couple dozen. I’m sure you could find a couple rivers in Bozeman to spend the rest of your time.
Thanks flytie. I’m usually the one telling guys to take a drive or fly someplace for the day and get some hands on experience, but I’ve got some constraints at the moment and don’t think I am leaving Florida for at least a couple of months. As I continue to talk to people and continue to think more about it, I’m pretty comfortable with the purchase. It’s down to 7’9 or 7’10, and I’m leaning to the 7’10. (4wt)

LOC

Reaction score
D
Thanks flytie. I’m usually the one telling guys to take a drive or fly someplace for the day and get some hands on experience, but I’ve got some constraints at the moment and don’t think I am leaving Florida for at least a couple of months. As I continue to talk to people and continue to think more about it, I’m pretty comfortable with the purchase. It’s down to 7’9 or 7’10, and I’m leaning to the 7’10. (4wt)
Do some real hair splitting 7’9.5”
TMR rod that’s some fine chit you are after. :cool::cool::cool: YOLO!

proheli

Reaction score
Do some real hair splitting 7’9.5”
TMR rod that’s some fine chit you are after. :cool::cool::cool: YOLO!
Well, I don’t know if I need to split hairs that closely :) I know enough about glass to know I want that for my small water rod and to feel pretty good about pulling the trigger. It just took a couple of chats with my wife and she was on board with the TMR. However, I have noticed that we have also been buying, or restoring, quite a bit of furniture for her new home office in the last week. Lol. I have no doubt that the two are closely connected.

Reactions: LOC