Spring steel

huronfly

Reaction score
I don't normally target steelhead much in the spring as I prefer the spunky fish the fall brings in, but this year I picked up new raft so I had to take it out a couple times! With Covid madness going on the municipality shut down all fishing in the lower section of the river so our beloved steelhead were free to make their way up what would normally be considered a gauntlet of fishermen. This was good news for us as we were able to target some very unpressured fish in another municipality further up river. We found a mixed bag of kelts and also some very fresh fish, one of which almost jumped in my raft :D Hope you are all doing well, enjoy a few pics.

morning mist.jpgswing.jpgspring steel.jpgspring steel2.jpgrafts.jpgswing1.jpgspring steel4.jpgsteel.jpg

flytie09

Reaction score
Thats some great stuff. I'm amazed at the solitude. The only time I've had a River to myself like that is during horrific conditions (whiteout, rain or fire) or non-peak season . You're a lucky man.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I clicked on it because the title had raft in it . Low and behold I have both the Kodiak w/o the floor and the other looks like a Colorado Classic ? Fine minds think alike . How does that floor work , are you able to stand ( I think not ) or just for storage and keeping dryer ?

huronfly

Reaction score
Thanks ft! Don't wanna rub it in but... we never saw a single soul out on the water this spring and covered approximately 30 miles between the floats, just the sound of trickling water, gobbling turkeys, and drumming grouse :) I do consider myself quite lucky! Also, living 2 minutes from the river in the middle of a pandemic helps!

sasquatch- you are right! Mine is the WM and my buddy's is the colorado. The floor works great, I'm able to anchor up on deep runs and stand fish areas that my buddies can't reach! It really has opened up a whole new world. Balancing is pretty easy, I just wedge my feet and calves into the tube. Some people shudder at the thought of standing without a lean bar, but with a little bit of balance it isn't so bad at all.

raft.jpg

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Great images Danny,

I just found the post, was out yesterday myself and am just catching up Saturday evening AK. time. Great stuff!