Squidro Trout Spey

quadesherwood

Reaction score
When I first discovered the composite loop, I was intimidated by the large, beautiful spun loops from Jerry French intruders. I was reading and watching tons of videos trying to figure out just how to find that balance to achieve "less is more."
I ran across Dave's YouTube channel at Cooper Landing Fishing Guide and learned this fly from him, inspired by Scott Howell's Squidro. Angora goat has been a staple in my fly tying ever since. This unweighted squidro has been a fantastic fly for me in summer and fall in New York. It swings great on the switch rod and is still light enough to cast well on my 6 wt single hander with a commando smooth or Rio's single hand spey line.
It's not nearly as pretty as the beautiful streamers in some of Ard's boxes, but it is an easy tie that I fish with confidence.

Cheers,
Quade

YouTube

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

johnnymaltby

Reaction score
Quade, your fly looks great! I know it is not always possible, but I love how you included a good quality video on how to tie what you posted, very helpful!

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd say you figured it out Quade, the fly you tied looks exactly like the one from the video. I'll admit to trying composite loops, some worked out but overall I had a low number of results I was happy with. You on the other hand appear to have stayed with it and are getting results, nice work for sure.