SR Bound

duker

Reaction score
We expect a full report, with pics of those beautiful flies of yours in action.

And good luck!

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know you'll find this Mike :)

Here's hoping you catch one of those rare Atlantic's that can be found this time of year. I'll look forward to your posts and do take some pictures, I haven't been there for nearly 20 years.

flytie09

Reaction score
I’m bad with pics. I’ll get a few for ya Ard. Not a lot changes up here. Won’t be many fish pics I’m afraid. Come to find out with Covid, the hatchery collected eggs in March. All the drop backs are gone. And record drought all across the Great Lakes. I’m going to have to take up Doggiecoin mining or some other hobby.

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any time we must travel several hundred miles or more to reach a destination we are heading into the unknown buddy. Even if you think you have decent intelligence on the area many times things are less that perfect when you actually get boots on the ground as they say............. Maybe a shot of a well known spot to show water level such as tail out of the Sportsman's Pool or looking upstream from the bridge at Altmar. Whatever you get would be better than my trying to form a mental image :)

flytie09

Reaction score
A few smaller fingerlings landed. Aside from these little fellas.....their big brothers and sisters eluded me. Fished mostly the fly zones and some upper stretches below the bridge.

Saw 2 fish landed that I'd consider keepers in the zones. Both were released. Jay Peck said things have been slow as have most anglers that I've chatted with. I've seen several fish boiling and jumping, so there's hope. A gentleman fishing next to me said they do that because they don't have middle fingers. I think he's right.

It snowed last night 2" which may have squashed the bite a bit. The fish appear to be spread out and I'd say they're dropping back quick. The river isn't crowded and you can have entire runs to yourself. And water levels are near perfect to get out and swing. Get out soon folks before the run ends.

I'll get some pics over the next couple days.

Fish on!

flytie09

Reaction score
These are primo runs Ard. I worked them hard. Zip.... Nada. I’ve got 2 days left. Gotta have confidence every cast is the one.

I found a quarter heads up tonight. I’m feeling lucky now. Otherwise it’s off to EBay to sell off my gear.

flytie09

Reaction score
Well. Friday was the end of my trip. A handful of fingerlings, and a couple foul hooked fish (promptly broken off) was all the action to be had. Saw plenty of fish but they just weren’t cooperating.

You make the best of the situation. It’s no longer about fish counts, but it helps to have some positive affirmation you’re doing things right.

Ended the day at Malinda’s and picked up some fine materials. She gave me some intel. Egg collection wasn’t early. Lethargic and discolored fish I saw were simply spawning and normal. And numbers as a whole have been down.

Let’s hope next year is better. No steelhead in a year is a difficult pill to swallow. If it was easy I’d be doing something else I guess.

A1F9B974-C6D8-4C64-835C-649B2CB6AC76.jpeg
656BAE7B-6028-485C-B040-E2218CF0AC95.jpeg
27B7AF3B-8B05-4A9C-A0FD-C59D0C03E2EB.jpeg
F37C93FD-2C62-4E45-ADCA-16917D03F69E.jpeg
5D23ADE3-DA64-4BA3-BA2D-A2801F17FCF3.jpeg
13C14B63-32F9-41A8-97DE-10179CEB4ECD.jpeg
That’s all til next year.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
Sorry to here that your trip to SR wasn't better. Don't feel bad. I live here and in N.Y. and I didn't catch one this year either. I had a couple on, but I can't really count that.:(