Stand-up Kayak flats fishing paddle advice

pfibiger

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just took my first couple trips in my new Jackson Mayfly. It’s a pretty great platform for what I’m trying to do — take a 15-20 minute paddle to some very shallow mud/oyster flats that hold a decent number of redfish at low tide. Over a couple days I’ve seen more than a dozen fish cruising, laid up, feeding —had a few shots but haven’t managed to seal the deal. Part of the problem has been that it’s overcast, so I’m not seeing fish from far enough away. That’ll change with time. But I’m also struggling with some of the basic mechanics of fly fishing from a kayak.

This leads to my two part question — I’m currently paddling w/ a standard kayak paddle, and using it more or less like a SUP paddle when I’m standing scouting for fish. Does anyone have a better system for paddling quietly/efficiently while standing? Is a push pole better? And then I’d love any advice in transitioning from paddling to casting as quickly and quietly as I can. I’ve moved to keeping my fly rod between my feet with line coiled there. That works well, but I haven’t found a great place to put down the paddle that doesn’t end up falling over with a loud thunk.

okiekev

Reaction score
I wish I had some experience and wisdom to share, but I am just getting started with the paddle board and also looking for similar insight. I have begun to think a push pole may be the better way to go and simply have it tethered to my ankle or the board for simply dropping into the water for shots... Thanks for posting and I look forward to the replies.

karstopo

Reaction score
You could stash the paddle and move around with a push pole. I’ve stalked fish with a paddle and stake out stick. If you use a stake out stick and the substrate is muddy and soft, it is very simple to just quickly stake out and then make your shot.

pcolapaddler

Reaction score
I've got fished from a kayak a fair amount. My first boat was a WS Tarpon 160i. It isn't a platform from which one could likely stand and fish. Fly fishing while seated isn't too hard, but seeing fish from any distance is probably not going to happen.

I am currently using a Hobie PA14 but have only fished fresh water. I paddled with one hand and held my fly rod in the other. I would kind of wedge the paddle in the well for the peddle drive and make my cast.

Obviously a non Hobie style boat will not have the drive well, but I wonder if something similar couldn't be done with a bungee on the side of the boat. Perhaps a hook it other device to attach the paddle to your belt - short leash with a clip.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

pfibiger

Reaction score
I ordered one of these, which is a paddle holder that fits into the track on my kayak. I'm hopeful it'll let me set the paddle down quietly and quickly:

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-
When I'm fishing flats, I almost never stand. This does reduce my line of sight somewhat, but it also makes me less visible to the fish- a trade-off in my opinion. I also feel much more secure fly casting when I'm sitting. Of course, with my fly casting skill, I don't make long casts anyway, so sitting doesn't really reduce my distance much. If I were younger and my balance was better, perhaps I'd cast while standing, but not now. And when I sit, I can just prop the paddle across my legs and try to make a cast.
I try to cast along the length of the kayak, but sometimes this is not possible.
Usually when I'm flats fishing- and the flats I fish are massive- stretch for miles, so most of the time trying to hold a position is not too crucial- if I need to stop, I'll just push my home-made anchor pole- a five-foot section of PVC pipe through a drain scupper and that holds me.
And I've had some success holding a position by using my paddle as a anchor pole. Just ram one blade in the bottom- quietly if possible and secure the other end to the kayak with a bungee or light line. I've found cheaper paddles with stiffer blades work better than some of the lighter, more flexible kayak paddle blades for securing a kayak to the bottom.
Fishing grass flats for reds and specks is one of my favorite things to do- in fact, I wish I were on the water doing just that right now.

good day to all- Ed