Starting a new one piece

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Scarf joints done, hardwood mandrill glued in, next step is to cut and fit the wood inserts. This rod will take a lot longer to finish because it’s fishing time! It’s 6’+ and should be a 4/5 wt.

97350ECE-473F-4743-BF84-F06A59E44087.jpeg85D3ECAC-A8B7-4857-977C-E7B759206E8D.jpeg

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
A little more progress, glued the mid/tip scarf and fit and glued the wood inserts. Now to apply seven coats of Tru Oil to the tip section....then file the wood inserts.

25838822-3BA2-446E-8C4F-6E715922AD60.jpeg

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
I must apologize for not keeping up with your posts, you are truly a value on this forum and the workmanship is wonderful!

Ard

Thanks a lot Ard, means a lot to me. It kind of seemed not much interest or lack of others posting. But that’s ok, I’m fine with that. At least there’s not a bunch of political nonsense! (y)

okaloosa

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Ard, means a lot to me. It kind of seemed not much interest or lack of others posting. But that’s ok, I’m fine with that. At least there’s not a bunch of political nonsense! (y)
I dont know about the others but I am just jealous I dont have your talent for creating such beautiful rods...anyone with a fist full of dollars can buy a rod.... please keep your posts and photos coming!

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Appreciate that guys! Just maybe in a few years when I retire I might make my own bamboo rods....until then it’s Frankenrods from Hotrodz of Burien! Keep on fishin! 😎

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Finished! I went with green wraps, light orange agate stripper. I also did a low quality/budget Calcutta cane one piece at the same time. This one is fairly whippy, while the mortised rod has a faster action. Next to lawn cast then chase some fish! The whippy rod has a less flattering name....Ratrodz of Burien! 🤪

8C0D6B7F-AC5D-49D6-8337-39D606E0B8D6.jpeg10D96743-FF7E-47F2-ADE1-F57AD476F697.jpeg

Last edited:

okaloosa

Reaction score
Very nice! Just wondering, do 1 piece cane rods take a set more readily than 2 or 3 piece and how do you fix a mild set?

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
I can’t honestly say if it does or doesn’t.....some funky sections start with a set, I try to have the curve guide side down. I’ve “fixed” a few sets over a hot burner element on the stove, but most vintage bamboo I’ve done the sets come back. More character I figure. I also turn the rod over when playing feisty fish, this helps from fish sets.
I’ve had sets at the ferrule....not good. Be careful if you get a chance to fish a one piece bamboo rod.....might not want ferrules again!

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
My Threadmaster wrap finish is still a little tacky on the mortised rod....dang! :cautious: Hopefully a few more days and it will cure. I lawn cast the Ratrod today with a Hardy LRH loaded with a 5wt dry line....felt really good, now to add a fish or two.

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
I used a type 3 sink on the Ratrod and went 1/7 today. Bent pretty well with a 14” trout. Easily cast 50’ with the sinking line, farther with a dry line. I really want to fish the mortised rod.....