Steelhead Fly Swap 2015

s fontinalis

Reaction score
Here is my offering....still not all finished, but will be done in plenty of time for the deadline. I need to order more hooks, as the packet only has 10 in it.

Pattern as follows

Hook: Alec Jackson 2050 #3
Tail: Golden Pheasant dyed Fire Engine Red (Jacquard dye, custom job by me)
Body: Rear quarter: Hareline Micro Polar Chenille - Chartreuse (available from J Stockard), rest of body is black seals fur
Rib: Uni Mylar in silver #14
Hackles: 1 Turn of ring neck rump dyed Chartreuse (Jacquard dye, custom job by me), under 3 turns of ring neck rump dyed black (Jacquard dye, custom job by me)
Wing: White Calf tail

Flies:

Natural (undyed) and Chartreuse Ring neck --- these feathers really take the color well

honyuk96

Reaction score
Here is my offering....still not all finished, but will be done in plenty of time for the deadline. I need to order more hooks, as the packet only has 10 in it.

Pattern as follows

Hook: Alec Jackson 2050 #3
Tail: Golden Pheasant dyed Fire Engine Red (Jacquard dye, custom job by me)
Body: Rear quarter: Hareline Micro Polar Chenille - Chartreuse (available from J Stockard), rest of body is black seals fur
Rib: Uni Mylar in silver #14
Hackles: 1 Turn of ring neck rump dyed Chartreuse (Jacquard dye, custom job by me), under 3 turns of ring neck rump dyed black (Jacquard dye, custom job by me)
Wing: White Calf tail

Flies:

Natural (undyed) and Chartreuse Ring neck --- these feathers really take the color well
Very nice flies Eunan. Cool spin on this pattern.

kayo

Reaction score
Wow, you guys raised the bar on this swap. Ok, I will now switch to a Steelhead October Caddis Wet fly. I need the practice anyway. :D

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I finished my emerald shiner variants tonight. This fly contains quite a few elements and a recipe description may be tough to follow. I will list the materials and work from the rear of the shank to the head.
Shank: Senyos 40 mm waddington
Trailer wire:Senyos
Hook: Daiichi 2557 #2 ( hooks haven't been installed yet in photo )
Body: uv polar chenille dyed myself blue, dyed uv polar chenille black uv, ice dub uv fl. Hot pink.
Flash: 20 strands silver holographic flashabou
Collar: 3 turns spey type hackle ( I dyed this stuff olive )
Senyos laser dub black
Wings: 2 grizzly saddle feathers ( I dyed these olive )
Cheeks: fake jungle cock
Thread: some crappy black 140 I had.
That's it, hope you guys enjoy this one. Now go swing up a big chromer.
Matt: Your steelhead flies and nymphs arrived in the mail today, those flies are gorgeous, very nice work indeed, congrats!

pjcalla

Reaction score
I'm working up a fly for the swap, and I need some honest opinions. I just started tying this fall, and I'm hoping to wrap something that will hunt for everyone. I join the swaps to gain experience and learn from the more experienced folks on here. I've never fished for steelhead, but hope to change that this year. Anyway, here is my first (working copy, if you will) attempt at the pattern I plan on tying.

I'm looking for honest opinions from the folks in the swap. Any and all suggestions are welcome, even if that means to tie a different fly. I have thick skin, so you will not offend me, I promise.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Looks good pj!

I've yet to start my flies as I'd thought I had medium wire in the color I needed... Didn't... So I put in an order... Forgot to update my address... So after it being delivered to the old address and then forwarded... It got lost in usps purgatory for about 10 days... Then I received my package only to my surprise they sent the wrong wire... So now that's on its way to my current address... Ugh

pjcalla

Reaction score
Alright, here's my fly, hopefully it'll hunt.

Hook: Allen SS001 #2 hook
Thread: UTC 140 purple
Tail: Purple arctic foxtail
Underbody: red mylar topped with 15# mono, coated with Silvercreek's uv resin
Flash: two strands on each flank.
Body: barred marabou (fushia/purple) in dubbing loop.
Collar: Purple guinea

If my terminology is wrong, I apologize. I think you get the idea. If this fly is terrible, I apologize as well. From my limited experience, it looks like a steelhead fly to me.

It is the Petticoat Streamer (as i understand it) with my addition of the guinea "collar."

Hope it is productive for everyone.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Finally finished flies for this swap. Had to change pattern as I just didn't have enough time in my schedule to commit to such a laborious pattern. So I tied up some of John Barr's Bouface

Hook: #6 3xl curved, Allen
Thread: 210 Danville black
Bead: 4.8mm hot pink brass bead
Body: two toned rabbit strip purple/hot pink
Flash: pearl
Under/over wing: black marabou
Collar: AZ Simi seal black

pjcalla

Reaction score
I had to change up my pattern a bit as well, which I just realized this evening. The fuschia/purple barred marabou that I bought just isn't "up to snuff," so to speak. I substituted some uv polar chenille (fuschia), then some purple marabou wrapped in a loop around that. A little more time consuming, but I think it'll be worth it. Anyway, updated pic:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I just realized that I have only received one set of flies for the steelhead fly swap, just a reminder, the deadline is next Saturday, February 28.

repperson29

Reaction score
I just realized that I have only received one set of flies for the steelhead fly swap, just a reminder, the deadline is next Saturday, February 28.

Just sent mine out today Larry. Should be there before the deadline.

They of course pale in comparison to some of these beautifully tied flies but, you can always use them to pick your teeth with.

Ryan

pjcalla

Reaction score
I will have mine done and in the mail on Monday. I had to run to the shop and get more supplies this evening. I'm set up at the vise tonight early, and will be tomorrow as well.