Steelhead Pics

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Organizing photo files for my own website I found one I never used from last fall, early November I believe :)

I chased after the fishes hard right up to frostbite weather and caught more than remembered, sounds weird but when I was with my pal we just took snap shots and got to fishen. There were a couple days when we had to sort photos to figure out who caught what. When alone it was easier because the pictures were harder to take. As always fellas, keep them wet. I'm sorry to stick that in but so far I've never dropped a fish which was in the water, had some slip away with out a photo like this.

Oops!

Just one that escaped the camera but this...........

Now that is a reminder, about 5 years old (not the angler) that shot and I believe the last time I tried to hold up a fish. If you are standing in the water I guess there's no real harm done but whenever I run across that picture I cringe. About three seconds before that shot a voice had said, "Hold that one up so I can get a picture" the rest is as they say, history :D

repperson29

Reaction score
Had a pretty good day, landed 3 but had 8 on. Was alittle surprised with how active they were, especially in the early a.m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dillon

Reaction score
BTW, in my second photo above the fish is of hatchery origin and was dispatched before the photo. The eyes of a live and well fish are usually looking down when held in or briefly above the water.

Last edited:

drr324

Reaction score
Landed my personal best in 30 years of playing with steelhead. 37.5" Chased a chart egg/purple bodied egg sucking leech across a gravel bar about 6' and missed on the first attempt. Had my phone in my simms pack on speaker talking to my old baseball coach, told him a monster just gave chase, tossed back into him and he ran it down to smash it! Told my coach he hammered it and I would call him back! Took about 8-10 minutes to bring him into a shallow slack to tail him. Wish I would have taken just a few more seconds to set up the pics better, but with soaked hands, my phone screen wasn't reacting well anyway. Spent 10 minutes holding him in a slow seam to fully revive him and watch him swim off. Great fish here in N. Mi.steelhead2.jpg steelhead!.jpg

ejsell

Reaction score
Landed my personal best in 30 years of playing with steelhead. 37.5" Chased a chart egg/purple bodied egg sucking leech across a gravel bar about 6' and missed on the first attempt. Had my phone in my simms pack on speaker talking to my old baseball coach, told him a monster just gave chase, tossed back into him and he ran it down to smash it! Told my coach he hammered it and I would call him back! Took about 8-10 minutes to bring him into a shallow slack to tail him. Wish I would have taken just a few more seconds to set up the pics better, but with soaked hands, my phone screen wasn't reacting well anyway. Spent 10 minutes holding him in a slow seam to fully revive him and watch him swim off. Great fish here in N. Mi.View attachment 16443 View attachment 16444
That's a monster! Congrats on the catch and the release. I usually take horrible pics, more worried about the release than the pic but yours turned out well enough to see how huge it is!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
Mirror Lake, right in Lake Placid NY. This landlocked fish I imagine is a steelhead, the rainbow stockers are much different in colour. Taken on a black wooly bugger, works every day so far.

huronfly

Reaction score
Had some really good early fall action this year, even had one day where I went 3 for 9 in just 4 hours of fishing:cool:, which is pretty atypical of swinging flies for steelhead. Found all kinds of new, productive water and have only bumped two other anglers while out there this season, both also happened to be fellow spey anglers. The cold snap came early this year and conditions have been pretty brutal for the last few weeks, and fish have shut down as a result. Last three outings have smelt of skunk... more bird watching than anything haha lots of eagles and osprey around to watch, I guess it's back to the reality of winter steelhead fishing!

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Judging from those pictures Denny I'd say you have more fish than people there and that's a real good thing buddy! Some beautiful fish and a big beautiful river to boot!

Wow

huronfly

Reaction score
Thanks fellas.

Ard, you are absolutely right, it's an amazing experience to witness more fish than people out there. Some locals have also never seen a bald eagle(not sure if they never leave the house or what:p), but I've also seen more eagles than people, tallied at 6 so far, nothing compares to PNW but still neat. Two were in a tree right across the river watching me as I caught one of the fish.

ft, you bet, it pays to walk off the beaten path!

That river is pretty heavily stocked as well with 60 000 yearlings stocked every year, between 3 of us swinging flies and close to 20 fish this fall we have not seen a hatchery fish yet! Most people float fishing avg. about 50/50 wild/hatchery fish. So I'm not sure if the wild fish are more likely to hit a fly or what but it sure seems like it and that's awesome! The hatchery fish are all clipped at adipose to identify.