Steelhead Pics

dennyk

Reaction score
This is another drop back fish, I decided to keep this one for the grill, a spawned out hen.

Here's a picture of the fly I used off the flyshop's website. Instead of mono eyes I tied mine with tungsten eyes. I do not like using split shot on my leaders.

Denny

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice catch Jersey but if C&R you need to focus on the keep em' wet approach. Even if a guide tries to get a hero shot with a fish you caught tell them to leave the fish in the drink. Here our regulations take care of it for you because they may not be removed from the water at all.

I'm almost always alone but every now and then there's someone to take a quickie for me.

I've trying to catch another built like that one for the past 4 seasons. I've got them longer but not with that heavyweight build. Looks good in the water huh? And tell the truth, you don't need to see my mug anyway :)

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Sometimes the reward comes through a vicarious channel. The fellow in this photo approached me about learning how to fly fish several years ago. He had been fishing with single hand rods and beads / bobber rigs for years but didn't understand fly fishing for trout or steelhead. Some of you guys know that I've been at this for a while and totally eschew the use of such tactics and would rather fish and catch nothing than snag a fish in the mouth when a bobber goes under................

I started him out using one of my Hardy Swift 2 hand rods, taught him how to cast and how to approach good waters. Almost everyone I've taught has done well but this guy took off like a rocket. Now he makes his own leader rigs just like I use and he fishes like an ardster :) My final lesson that I've undertaken this year has been to convince him to leave fish in the water avoiding the grip and grin and he's almost there.

That's a nice one up here and I'm kinda proud of him.

Joef2661

Reaction score
One thing I know for certain, it's a juvenile. Lol. Want to say it's a steelie cuz the blunt shaped mouth but I don't know. 20200728_132123~2.jpg

ejsell

Reaction score
Just a little guy but first of the season. They were only hitting on really small nymphs, had an incredible time keeping anything on. Lost count of how many fish I lost and I'm way out of practice.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Upstate08

Reaction score
Finally found a stretch of uncrowded water and hit this beauty just after sun-up this morning. She took my #12 stone fly wet nymph on the third cast of the day. Many thanks to Danny for some great advice! Dec. Rainbow (2).jpgIMG_4148.jpg#12 Soft Hackle stone (2).jpg

Last edited:

flyinspired

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ive been on an editing tear lately as i try to pump out as much content from this past fall as i can. This clip was shot over the past couple months as i chased steelhead here on the great lakes. I put a bunch of time in this fall and was able to shake hands with a few great fall run fish on the swing. It been a while since i had the time to actually chase the fall run so that was great to be able to do!

Am i the only one that looses that many fish or??

Thanks for watching,

Dan

flytie09

Reaction score
Great job. Gotta love a screaming reel. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz(y)

huronfly

Reaction score
Love videos like yours that capture the electric moment of the Grab! Nice

I've got lucky enough to get a couple on my phone this fall, but likely will never figure out how to post it to here.