Steelhead Techniques

Northcountryman

Reaction score
The other day when I was fishing for Kings , I noticed some guy standing about 50 yards downstream of us in front of the dam fishing and he catching Steelhead. As I was wading back for the day- and due to my inquisitive nature, I guess, lol- I stopped and chatted w him for a few , initiating contact w him via netting his fish for him. As we talked , I noticed his setup: centerpinrod/reel , adjustable float and rubber or plastic egg as bait/lure. He was casting downstream in the current wash and just letting the bobber do its work. Ive never seen this style of fishing before but had heard of it. I guess the steelies are coming up from the lake to feed on eggs from the King salmon spawn, correct? Although I've never tried for Steelhead before, I'd love to give it a try on my Flyrod. I'd imitate his method I guess by rigging up a nymphing setup, maybe 2 fly w/ egg pattern as a dropper, and slap a thingmabobber on the butt section for the drift. What do you think? Thanks :)

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Here you go, mono rigs, beads and spawn all day long. Good luck to you! Catch way more fish all the time.

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
Agree that you can use a mono rig and water-load cast an indicator and egg pattern with most fly rods, single hand or double. I have also done this for Chinooks. Just keep the line off of the water (casting up and across).

The centrepin crew can really catch a lot of fish. What is different (I think) is that they are always upstream of the fish, never line the pool.

Last edited:

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
Here you go, mono rigs, beads and spawn all day long. Good luck to you! Catch way more fish all the time.

Lol! Interesting discussion:

Lamarsh

Reaction score
I'm surprised you live in the great lakes and hadn't seen centerpin anglers. Seems they're like a cult. I've never tried it but I'd like to. Never cared to try it until I started tying flies, and now I'd like to give it a whirl. Nearly everybody I know that does it loves it.

huronfly

Reaction score
The op said it he had never fished steelhead so makes sense he hasn't seen a centerpin setup. I know plenty of guys who started out steelheading using those setups but turned to spey once they got bored of catching so many fish, and they never looked back.

jjcm

Reaction score
The centerpin is effective because it mitigates drag. The drift can be nearly drag-free and the floats detect subtle takes very well because of how the rig handles slack.

flytie09

Reaction score
Centerpinning is an old method of angling in the UK that dates back to the 1600s. I've not done it......but I know from observation that it is deadly in the hands of the right person. It's so effective, because of the ability to achieve a drag free drift for a much longer distance than any methods you might try to recreate it with. You can come close with a traditional spinning rod/reel and to some extent, a fly rod/reel...but neither can replicate the effectiveness of the centerpin rod and reel mostly due to line control.

There is nothing wrong with this method of angling nor is there with any of the other methods. It's simply different. You can use bait, beads, jigs, and even flies with a centerpin setup......it's just not my thing. I enjoy swinging a fly with two handed rods. I know and accept the limitations to these methods. I've done what you're about to attempt.....and gave it up.

Good luck to you.