Steffen 8' lines?

Ganderzone

Reaction score
I have a 3/4 and 4/5 both 8' rods on the way, just curious what other people are running for lines? Thinking a triangle taper or peach 444 wf on the 4/5 for a little more distance and bigger bugs, dt 4wt on the 3/4?

jayr

Reaction score
The 444 should do well. I would also look at the 406 fly lines, they’re made especially for slower rods such as glass and bamboo.

Barrio is another option. Depending on his ability to make lines due to the COVID mess.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I had the 8' 3/4 a while back and agree with the suggestions above (as to 3/4, I can't speak to the 4/5). I also suggest that you do a Google search (something like "line for Steffen 8' 3/4 [or 4/5]") and I would think that you'll find various threads on the fiberglass flyrodders site dealing with your question. Enjoy those new rods!

Ganderzone

Reaction score
I'd love to hear from someone who's used both the sylk and 444 peach, both have come up around the Steffen name a few times

jpielock1992

Reaction score
OK So how does the Steffen cast compared to a St. Croix,Heddon,Cortland or Fenwick translucent tube? Wishin to be fishin,Chet

jastrout

Reaction score
Steffens glass rods are at the top of modern day glass, the blanks are prized by high end rod builders (Leiderman, Shane, Jude). While all of the mentioned older generation glass rods are fine practical fishing rods , the Steffens are considered heirloom quality.

Ganderzone

Reaction score
Steffens glass rods are at the top of modern day glass, the blanks are prized by high end rod builders (Leiderman, Shane, Jude). While all of the mentioned older generation glass rods are fine practical fishing rods , the Steffens are considered heirloom quality.
In July 2020 I was looking for a nice glass rod kind of a collector class rod and kept coming across steffens name. I got in contact with them and found out the wait list was nearly 9 months and it was likely they retire before then. I took a shot in the dark and told them to out me down for two, he emailed me a few weeks back saying they would be ready this month so I consider myself lucky, I actually only wanted one but seeing as Steffens would likely become a collector I decided to grab two😁. I've been waiting like a kid for Christmas to get these blanks.

ddb

Reaction score
The Steffen blanks are top drawer and their finished rods are very nice. But the final touches are nothing like Shane at GrayWolf does to your specs. Both my 8' Steffens are from him and are beyond heirloom IMO.