Still water midges

Natdf

Reaction score
Looking to get in some tying in my spare time this winter, I am wanting to tie up some midge patterns to use in some of out lakes here in Ct. I just have not found any patterns that would be noted for Ct. still waters. With so many different patterns around the world there is a lot to look at.
Just wondering if any one may have been getting into this in our areas and what might be a good starting point.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Having grown up on Taunton Lake in CT and periodically going back for family visits I can recommend the Zebra midge in black, red or olive in size 16-24 it is an easy tie and works in still or moving waters everywhere. In my opinion that would be a good place to start. You will only need hooks, thread, some silver wire and silver metal beads. On still waters in a slight wind you can dead drift under an indicator or in calm conditions use a sink tip or sinking line and countdown method followed by a very, very slow finger twist strip. You will not only catch trout but panfish as well.

You might also want to consider getting this book it is very good information...
https://www.amazon.com/Flyfishers-Guide-Connecticut-Ron-Merly/dp/1932098895

iv_wjb

Reaction score
I’ve no experience in your area but, the Red Butt Chironomid is a reliable and consistently productive Stillwater pattern for me. It’s an easy tie and worth trying!

Natdf

Reaction score
Thank you guys, that is great info, I have tied up some patterns i had found and will tie up some more. I have mostly fished lakes with classic streamers and enjoy soft hackles but, wanting to expand a bit more. Tight lines, come ON Spring time !

Natdf

Reaction score
He Is a leader in the field. I enjoy his info. I wonder if there are patterns he has that reflect on areas other then the North East. but, would think they would be close enough. Thank Dillon

Natdf

Reaction score
I'd feel confident with any of the recommended patterns, #18-22 red with silver rib and a white breather was my favorite in nearby RI.
Hi Trev, Thank you, close waters with patterns that work is nice.

Natdf

Reaction score
Thank you Stu,
I will tie up some of these, I have some close to these. I like the 3rd one down, looks real. Thank you.

Natdf

Reaction score
This is Great ! keys just to small for the fingers some times, find that at the vise as well at times. LOL

lue

Reaction score
No matter what size pattern you are using if the fly is not put in the direction the rising fish is going in order to hook

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I remember correctly Gary Borger has some very good material on still water midges. One rule of thumb I like to follow with midges and especially still water is Thin to Win. Go a bit longer than normal midges for still water as well.

Natdf

Reaction score
All of you share great info. I always look into it. One thing I have found that is the east coast still water/Lake info on midges just does not seem to have the same attention as it has in other areas like B.C or the central to western areas of the USA.