Still water midges

corn fed fins

Reaction score
All of you share great info. I always look into it. One thing I have found that is the east coast still water/Lake info on midges just does not seem to have the same attention as it has in other areas like B.C or the central to western areas of the USA.
Midges are midges and behave the same whether in CA. or CT. Trout eat midges like people eat candy; it's all about the size and color. I would just start with a basic thread midge tied up on fine wire XL hooks in a few different colors and see what happens. Red on lakes seem to do very well just about anywhere as the silt bottoms are a favorite for blood worms. Change your depth before you change your fly. An indicator can act like a hinge and keep your rig in the strike zone. They make slip ones so you can get deep and till reel in. A little chop and that indicator will jig the rig. Chop is my friend and I'll go as far to say waves as well. Stirs up the bottom, knocks bugs off the weeds, washes bugs off the shore, deposits them on the surface; wind feeds the water. I even look for the Langmuir spirals if they form. On a still day you can just slow troll them from the 'toon or use a slow hand retrieve if on shore.

Fishing midges is pretty straight forward on lakes. Hit the books mentioned.

bumble54

Reaction score
There are such a huge variety of "midges" that if you intend to match the hatch, as it were, you will need a similarly wide range of patterns. If going for general, "do it all" patterns, black, brown, olive (light and dark), orange, red (blood red) and grey will suffice in sizes from 12 down to 18 or smaller, ( I can't see to tie smaller than 18's and find it even harder to tie small flies on the leader). I prefer a touch of red in all the patterns barring the grey. Bodies can be thread, varnished or not, or dubbed fur, I prefer seals fur or substitute for patterns to be used in a wave, the bigger the wave, the rougher the pattern. Don't neglect simple spider patterns for midges, they work a treat, Williams Favourite is my first choice midge pattern in a ripple, starling hackle for stillwaters, hen or game for moving waters, thread or wire body (to get deeper) but with a dubbed body in slightly rougher water, colour variations of the same pattern work just as well. If you fish the same waters regularly you will quickly learn which patterns that work best, at the different times of year, for those particular waters. My tip, keep a diary.