Storm run-off...

ed from bama

Reaction score
So a hot thunderstorm came through and here in this part of the world, that means rain, and lots of it.
We got probably two inches of rain in an hour or so of storm before sundown. There were big puddles and what would pass for ponds in many places where usually it's dry ground. The frogs and toads were loudly declaring it to be party time. And I got my three-weight ready in hopes the rain would stop before it got dark.
There's a small pond which is within easy walking distance from my house, and when we get a heavy rain such as this, the water runs along the natural drain lines to the pond. And since the ground is covered with thick grass, the run-off water stays clear- never muddies up the pond.
So when the squall line moved off south and there was plenty of daylight left, I grabbed by fly bad and rod and made my way splashing through puddles. I have to watch my step. Lots of stuff gets washed out during one of these Gulf Coast gully-washers, and most of it bites. The fire ants are the worst. It's not fun to step into a floating nest of fire ants that have been flooded out of their nest. They are not happy, and they will bite and sting anything that comes in contact with them.
When i got to the little pond, the water was rushing through the channel and pouring into the pond. Clear, strong current. It would look tempting to any trout angler. and the bass and bream were lined up in the current feeding on the myriad of bugs, worms and other stuff that was washed in the pond with the current.
A small foam popper cast along the shoreline was immediately taken by a decent little bass- maybe a pound. This hot feed continued as long as I stood there, and that was until a second cloud came through, and the lightning, thunder, and heavy rain came back.
So I made my way home, quite satisfied with my evening's work. And I may go back this morning early to see how things are doing at the pond now.

good day to all- ed

dennyk

Reaction score
I'm praying for a couple inches of rain here. The little pond I fish is on a farm and is used for watering the crops. I fished it last Friday and the water level was down all of a foot and a half. How 'bout sending some of that water up here Ed?

Nice picture of your pond as well as that nice LM!

Denny

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-

Steve- I have good memories of your home town. We used to live in Missouri- down in the wilds of the Ozarks past Rolla- and my older son was married in the chapel at Mizzou. My daughter in law got her MBA from Mizzou, so we think a lot of that town.

good day to all- Ed