Streamer rod for Fall runners

gillymor

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm heading for the Madison in late Sept. and I'm having a rod built that will be dedicated to throwing streamers and large wets on a 2 fly rig and have some questions:

1. I'm leaning toward a fast 6 wt. to replace the slower action 6wt. I normally use, are they any blanks out there that might suit my purposes? I'm considering Batson, MHX and TFO.

2. Is going up to something longer than a 9 footer a good idea for all day wade fishing on the Madison in the park?

3. My favorite salt rod is a St. Croix Legend Elite 8wt. made with SCV material. Does any one know if there's a blank out there that is similar? St. Croix apparently doesn't sell blanks any more.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave M

logic1

Reaction score
I can't help you with a suitable blank, I use a 5 wt for streamers and soft hackles and a 6 wt for heavier streamers or when the wind gets crazy. A 6 weight would be a good choice. I hope the fall fishing gets better on the Madison in the park. The last few years have been the worst I've experienced since my first trip in 2002. Lots of great memories fishing for the run up fish on the Madison, I'm not sure what's happening with the fishery there.
Steve L

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm heading for the Madison in late Sept. and I'm having a rod built that will be dedicated to throwing streamers and large wets on a 2 fly rig and have some questions:

1. I'm leaning toward a fast 6 wt. to replace the slower action 6wt. I normally use, are they any blanks out there that might suit my purposes? I'm considering Batson, MHX and TFO.

2. Is going up to something longer than a 9 footer a good idea for all day wade fishing on the Madison in the park?

3. My favorite salt rod is a St. Croix Legend Elite 8wt. made with SCV material. Does any one know if there's a blank out there that is similar? St. Croix apparently doesn't sell blanks any more.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave M
Actually St. Croix doesn't make the Legend Elite fly rods anymore either. Rod Geeks has SCV blanks but only for conventional rods

mike_r

Reaction score
While I don’t have direct experience with the rivers in question, for large river trout nymphs and streamer fishing, I have gone to a 9’6” fast action rod. Particularly the 1st gen Orvis Recon 966.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melvynsegal

Reaction score
I’ve built a lot of fly rods on most of the name blanks, like Batson, ( which is an excellent blank), and I would recommend the CTS Affinity x blank in a 6 weight. Hands down best blank I’ve used. Spectacular. I recently finished one out in a 6 weight. Extremely, light, fast, with incredible recovery. The company is in New Zealand, with a world wide network. Contact Herb Ladenheim in the States, through the various blogs and google. He’ll get you a good deal, and he’s a delightful guy...

timd

Reaction score
While I don’t have direct experience with the rivers in question, for large river trout nymphs and streamer fishing, I have gone to a 9’6” fast action rod. Particularly the 1st gen Orvis Recon 966.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What Mike said except my choice is the Scott Radian 9’6” 6 weight. I fish the waters you mention in the fall also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have a dedicated streamer rod that is a 9 1/2'/#6, an older Loomis IMX. It has a bendy enough tip to open the loop for big fly usage and gobs of mid and lower taper power to drill a fly against the far cut bank of the river by the Barnes. I do prefer my modern 9'/#6's, Method, NRX and SKY, as they cast better and generate more line speed but that is not necessarily what you want for heavy streamers. So, while it won't cast in the same class as the above rods, a rod like Radian with a moderate tip grafted onto a stout mid taper would be a fine streamer rod as would, if you can fined a previously owned one, an older Sage Z-Axis a great rod with a taper allowing a good caster to form variable loop configurations easily. A rod like SKY for example only wants to drill narrow, tight, high line speed loops.

ReetsAdeets

Reaction score
I think a lighter, fastish 9' 6" 6wt is the way to go for the type of fishing you described. Writing this made me decide to pick one up myself.

If I could only have one rod, at this point it would be my 10ft 6wt Echo Ion. It's heavy but throws big streamers with a sinking leader really well and can throw about any size dries fine too, or even a nymph rig if I'm desperate. I do a lot of swinging big streamers while wade fishing and the extra length is nice. I have noticed the weight getting a little uncomfortable when casting all day for multiple days with the Ion though, even with just dry flies. Not a huge deal but noticeable. It's a pretty cheap and heavy rod however, so a nicer and lighter rod that's a little shorter might help this a lot. I have a 9' 6" Sage Pulse 5wt that is a great dry fly rod and does pretty well with not huge streamers, but it definitely lacks the power of a 6wt in the wind and with bigger flies. Never noticed this rod feeling heavy. I really appreciate the extra length of longer rods when wade fishing in faster water to help make mends or even to help reach around/over stuff.

Last edited:

gillymor

Reaction score
I'm considering a 10 foot 6 wt. MHX blank that weighs 2.14 oz. and have a few questions:

1. Any one have any experience with a rod built on this blank (or any MHX blank for that matter)?

2. Any one notice any difference in fish handling ability between a 10 footer and a shorter rod? I'm anticipating dealing with some 20" + trout in a heavy current (ever the optimist) and don't want to fight them to death.

3. Is there generally a difference in all day casting comfort between the longer and shorter rods? (thanks for your input in there ReetAdeets)

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I use a 9'6" #6 for trout streamers as well. My pick is a Sage ONE. I got it during closeout when the X was introduced and it's performed excellently. The 9'6" ONE is just a tad softer than it's shorter counter parts and it works great fishing weighted rigs and sinking lines.

If I were going to look at a new 9'6" 6 weight, I'd try the X and the Pulse from Sage, the H3F and the Recon from Orvis, and the Radian and the Flex from Scott.

Mary K.

Reaction score
This is my first post since joining this group.
I have a chance to purchase a St. Croix Imperial 10' for 6 weight at a very reasonable price, and would like to know what you think about this for fishing the fall run on the Madison.

Thanks,
Mary

timd

Reaction score
Mary, welcome to the forum! I personally use a 9’6” Scott Radian for this fall fishing. Longer rod can be fatiguing to use and you should test cast if possible. A fast light 9’ rod will work fine but the longer rods allow you to throw those big mends and keep more line off the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

caddis75

Reaction score
Hi all,

Dave M
Just my two cents, September may be too early. I was there this year-end of September and they barely started their run yet, at least in high numbers. Hopefully, this year will be different!