streams SORT of near milwaukee

Raging Moorish

Reaction score
Hey driftless fam,

Ive been cooped up at my parents house for about 8 weeks now ever since my university closed down and went online. I've been busy tying and trying to keep myself busy with some warm water action, but im dying to get into some good trout fishing. I've tried a few streams in the Milwaukee area, but i dont think they hold many trout seeing as all i caught while i was out there was a few bass. I hate to hotspot anyone but I would really appreciate if anyone could share any trout streams that they know within say an hour and a half of Milwaukee. I'm a solo angler and catch and release only. If you dont feel comfortable sharing it on the forum, my PMs are open and i will be tight lipped with any info you give me.

-Bradley

Bent Undergrowth

Reaction score
The tributaries are probably the most prolific resource in the greater MKE area. It is a world renowned steelhead, brown, and salmon fishery.

Also, there's never a bad time to try targeting new species. Smallmouth are a prized game fish, they fight like hell, and some fly anglers target them exclusively.

All that said, since you posted this in the driftless sub-forum, I'm assuming you are looking for more of a small stream fishing experience. There are only a few trout streams in the area, which you have probably already identified via WI DNR or otherwise. It sounds like you have a fair amount of downtime, so why not make it your mission to try them all? Something tells me there will be some hidden gems around.

If you strike out altogether, another area that may be a bit closer is the Central Sands region. I know there are some productive streams on that area, but I haven't yet made it up there. At the TU banquet this year, I heard talk of some big habitat improvement initiatives.

That's another thing. Join TU if you haven't already. The SE chapter is the largest in the state and they put on some pretty cool events. Go and swap stories with some of those guys, they are great fun.

And of course, definitely give Fly Fishers a call. That is a seriously excellent shop. The guys that work there are super knowledgeable about fishing different species and regions, and they are just as obsessed as you and love to talk about the craft.

Last thing I'll say is check out some literature. Fly Fisher's Guide to Wisconsin is a trove of info, and is generally candid. I've found some of my favorite spots using that book as a starting point, then driving around exploring. And hey, gas is cheap right now.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Raging Moorish

Reaction score
Thank you for your great suggestions. I would love to try some of the lake run rivers around here, however I feel like I would be extremely out gunned seeing as tho I have only a 3 weight and 4 weight rod at this time. Even if I was able to wrangle a lake run brown or steely to the net, it would probably be exhausted to the point of death, and thats not something i want.

Seriously tho, the flyfishers is a sick fly shop, i got my first rod and waders there!

ontheflymn

Reaction score
Don't assume you are outgunned with a four weight and a big trout. It's all about the leader and tippet you are using and not necessarily the weight of the rod.