Striper flies?

Brodfish

Reaction score
Some of the first flies I tied as a kid were centered around Pennsylvania freestone streams where my flyfishing started. Streamer fishing in the Brodhead was my favorite back then with black ghosts an mickey fins simple enough to satisfy the excitement of catching brook an brown trout on a self tied creation.
For the last 20 years my attention turned to striped bass, mostly by virtue of opportunity and the bone jarring hits on big streamers an dark nights. What are some of your creative ties? Here's a weighted epoxy head that's worked great and cant be easier to tie.

First tied in 2/0 with some smaller scale in the works, waiting on materiels. Sink up-right and have incredible flow an motion on the strip.
..some decievers too.

Attachments

Last edited:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I was born in MD, and lived and fished there most of my life, so fished the Chesapeake Bay & tributaries. These are all various flies that I've tied and used, plus others. I now live in SC, near the Santee Cooper lakes, and still target Stripers, and use many of the same type of flies.

Attachments

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Flat Wings.
They're much more that just a deceiver variation. Even when dead drifted on a floating line, the tail feathers realistically swish from side to side.
Tied sparse, even a 6 or 8 inch fly is easy to cast.
Much of the time I'll tie one on at the point with a smaller deceiver or blonde as a dropper..... A big fish chasing a little fish.

Attachments

Brodfish

Reaction score
Flat wings are deadly, hackles have such excellent action in the water. Playing with the color stacking can really make for clean looking profiles and a multitude of subtle colors mixed in. Nice ties.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I've also caught many on eel patterns. Most being rabbit strip flies, but they do get heavy when wet and also will foul sometimes. I fish them for LM bass also, and their productivity offsets the weight and fouling issues.

Attachments

desmobob

Reaction score
I could probably do all my striped bass fishing with the small, simple, very sparse, very easy to cast "Ray's Fly" from Ray Bonderew's pattern. It's always the first fly I tie on when I get to the Cape each spring. The hardest part of tying them is to keep them as sparse as Mr. Bonderew advises. I have his "Stripers and Streamers" book with a nice inscription and a Ray's Fly tied by him. It is very sparse.