Striper flies?

Brodfish

Reaction score
Some of the first flies I tied as a kid were centered around Pennsylvania freestone streams where my flyfishing started. Streamer fishing in the Brodhead was my favorite back then with black ghosts an mickey fins simple enough to satisfy the excitement of catching brook an brown trout on a self tied creation.
For the last 20 years my attention turned to striped bass, mostly by virtue of opportunity and the bone jarring hits on big streamers an dark nights. What are some of your creative ties? Here's a weighted epoxy head that's worked great and cant be easier to tie.

First tied in 2/0 with some smaller scale in the works, waiting on materiels. Sink up-right and have incredible flow an motion on the strip.
..some decievers too.

Attachments

Last edited:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I was born in MD, and lived and fished there most of my life, so fished the Chesapeake Bay & tributaries. These are all various flies that I've tied and used, plus others. I now live in SC, near the Santee Cooper lakes, and still target Stripers, and use many of the same type of flies.

Attachments

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Flat Wings.
They're much more that just a deceiver variation. Even when dead drifted on a floating line, the tail feathers realistically swish from side to side.
Tied sparse, even a 6 or 8 inch fly is easy to cast.
Much of the time I'll tie one on at the point with a smaller deceiver or blonde as a dropper..... A big fish chasing a little fish.

Attachments

Brodfish

Reaction score
Flat wings are deadly, hackles have such excellent action in the water. Playing with the color stacking can really make for clean looking profiles and a multitude of subtle colors mixed in. Nice ties.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I've also caught many on eel patterns. Most being rabbit strip flies, but they do get heavy when wet and also will foul sometimes. I fish them for LM bass also, and their productivity offsets the weight and fouling issues.

Attachments

desmobob

Reaction score
I could probably do all my striped bass fishing with the small, simple, very sparse, very easy to cast "Ray's Fly" from Ray Bonderew's pattern. It's always the first fly I tie on when I get to the Cape each spring. The hardest part of tying them is to keep them as sparse as Mr. Bonderew advises. I have his "Stripers and Streamers" book with a nice inscription and a Ray's Fly tied by him. It is very sparse.

COTater

Reaction score
I haven't fished for Stripers in salt but I have quite a bit in freshwater - Lake Powell. I use Clousers a lot. A bit weighted. White/Grey, Grey/Olive & Olive/White Grey. Tied with some krystal flash and a trailer hook about 3 " back.

Been a money fly for me.

Brodfish

Reaction score
I haven't fished for Stripers in salt but I have quite a bit in freshwater - Lake Powell. I use Clousers a lot. A bit weighted. White/Grey, Grey/Olive & Olive/White Grey. Tied with some krystal flash and a trailer hook about 3 " back.

Been a money fly for me.

A trailer on a clouser? Interesting, do you like a wide gap on those? I'v got a theory that a small trailer does little unless it's a wide gap.
Thoughts?

COTater

Reaction score
A trailer on a clouser? Interesting, do you like a wide gap on those? I'v got a theory that a small trailer does little unless it's a wide gap.
Thoughts?
I know, its different but I had several misses due to the stripers hitting the back end of the fly so decided to try some with a trailer and yes - wide gap hook.

desmobob

Reaction score
I tie my sand eel patterns (and as many types of streamer patterns as I'm able) on short shank hooks to get some added jigging action.

I think I have a lifetime supply of the old Eagle Claw 254SS hooks and have probably caught 90% of my striped bass on them in the past 26 years.

COTater

Reaction score
I tie my sand eel patterns (and as many types of streamer patterns as I'm able) on short shank hooks to get some added jigging action.

I think I have a lifetime supply of the old Eagle Claw 254SS hooks and have probably caught 90% of my striped bass on them in the past 26 years.
My clousers are tied that same way. Some I do trailer hooks, some I don't. I use them for trout as well.

Druunkonego

Reaction score
I don’t get to fish for striper often and as such, I’ve yet to catch one. They’re on my list though. My siblings both live in New England along the water so one of these visits I’m determined to get one out of the salt. This was one of the flies I used for a recent attempt for some landlocked, PA stripers;
0BF7F9AE-1DD0-4C66-BFD5-230612563759.jpeg
…trying to imitate the local fare.
62234F45-A4D5-4A55-B843-6193A7A0D3DF.jpeg

COTater

Reaction score
I don’t get to fish for striper often and as such, I’ve yet to catch one. They’re on my list though. My siblings both live in New England along the water so one of these visits I’m determined to get one out of the salt. This was one of the flies I used for a recent attempt for some landlocked, PA stripers;
View attachment 37505
…trying to imitate the local fare.
View attachment 37506
That should be a killer fly!!!

RonMan

Reaction score
The guy that taught me how to cast a fly rod did it with a pencil while sitting in a fly shop.
He told me about fly rodding for stripers on the San Francisco Bay.
He and his buddies fished for them at night with long black streamers tied on a single hook.
They started fishing for stripers on the SF Bay in the late 40's.
An observation of his was that stripers turn into large mouth bass after dark.
They will take a top water presentation just like large mouths.
And that is how he fished those black streamers, on the surface.
I fished for stripers at night on the SF Bay, in coves and under old abandoned piers who's access we had to sneak into.
When they were active you could hear the stripers surface feeding on anchovies.
No splashes, just loud sucking sounds.