Striper flies?

RonMan

Reaction score
Another trick that old guy showed me was a tandem streamer set up for stripers.
One streamer was tied to the main tippet as usual.
A second was tied with a loop knot above a tightly tied bobber stop or yarn knot so it could slide on the main line.
The second streamer was a little shorter than the main streamer, both set around 18-24 in.
The trick was adding a little lead wire as weight to each streamer so that when the line was given a tug both moved erratically not just in a straight line. The idea was a couple of bait fish feeding. Strange as it looks the streamers rarely tangle.
Double-Streamer.jpg

Brodfish

Reaction score
I don’t get to fish for striper often and as such, I’ve yet to catch one. They’re on my list though. My siblings both live in New England along the water so one of these visits I’m determined to get one out of the salt. This was one of the flies I used for a recent attempt for some landlocked, PA stripers;
View attachment 37505
…trying to imitate the local fare.
View attachment 37506

The pack? I fished there for years a kid an never managed to run into any stripers...I know guys did well trolling and even through the ice though....beautiful pattern

Brodfish

Reaction score
Another trick that old guy showed me was a tandem streamer set up for stripers.
One streamer was tied to the main tippet as usual.
A second was tied with a loop knot above a tightly tied bobber stop or yarn knot so it could slide on the main line.
The second streamer was a little shorter than the main streamer, both set around 18-24 in.
The trick was adding a little lead wire as weight to each streamer so that when the line was given a tug both moved erratically not just in a straight line. The idea was a couple of bait fish feeding. Strange as it looks the streamers rarely tangle.
View attachment 37510
Been itching to give tandems a go

Druunkonego

Reaction score
The pack? I fished there for years a kid an never managed to run into any stripers...I know guys did well trolling and even through the ice though....beautiful pattern
No, although I have fished it a few times in the past and it is the closest option for me to target them. My recent outing was Raystown Lake (PA’s largest lake).

A buddy of mine just caught a 32”, 15lb striper out of the Paupack… on bait though. Still a good fish.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
I fish 2 flys on the beach all the time. Any reason for not tying a dropper loop on the main line? Then you can loop to loop your flys for quick changes. In your example I'm not sure what the lead does except to get the flys down like tying patterns with dumbell eyes like clousers. Is that the goal?

RonMan

Reaction score
I fish 2 flys on the beach all the time. Any reason for not tying a dropper loop on the main line? Then you can loop to loop your flys for quick changes. In your example I'm not sure what the lead does except to get the flys down like tying patterns with dumbell eyes like clousers. Is that the goal?
I did not come up with this it, was shown to me. The point of not using a dropper off the main line and instead allowing the second streamer to slide up the main line is just that, to allow it more freedom. And no, the lead is not to simply get the flies to sink. It is to change the balance of the streamer. The lead is attached on the shank or on the bend or where ever it takes to make the two streamers dance when the line is given a quick tug. I asked him once, why not just tie a plastic lip on the head of the fly? He said he never thought about that but maybe I should try it, but I never did.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
As I said in my earlier post, I fish a dropper most of the time for stripers. I once had a double on schoolies six casts in a row.
You do have to be careful though. Another time I cast to a pair of 25inch fish sighted in the curl of the surf and they both ate.
Trying to land both of those fish at once before the seals showed up was a harrowing experience that I don't care to ever repeat.
The lesson.... big fish, cut off that dropper.

You don't ever need a trailer hook on striped bass flies. They don't short strike like a trout. They go for the head every time.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
No, although I have fished it a few times in the past and it is the closest option for me to target them. My recent outing was Raystown Lake (PA’s largest lake).

A buddy of mine just caught a 32”, 15lb striper out of the Paupack… on bait though. Still a good fish.
Congrats to your friend! The first large Striper that I ever recall catching on a fly, was in '82. I know that because it was the first year of the moratorium in MD. I was fishing the Susquehanna River below Conowingo Dam for bass, and got into Stripers and bass. I caught several Stripers that day, and measured one at 30". What made that special was I was wading, and had an old Cortland fiberglass 8 wt at the time, my very first outfit, which I got in '67. Those older rods can still do the job. I also remember that it was on a Deceiver, but don't recall the color. Most likely it was chartreuse & white, or olive & white, but not sure about that. I've caught several since in that size range on flies, but none larger. The biggest I've ever caught was while trolling lures, and it was over 40".

I stuck with single flies when I fished for them, because I'm not sure I would want to hook up with two Stripers at a time, even if only 15". I broke that fiberglass rod in a car door. My wife bought me an Orvis 5 wt fiberglass rod, around '83 or '84 but I lost it in a house fire in '86. My next rod was a Cabela's 5/6 wt purchased in '89. which I've only ever used with 6 wt line and I've caught many smaller, schoolie size on it, and again, not sure that I would want to be hooked up with more than one! Even the small ones can be incredibly strong, particularly in some current! 😳